2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Or as they're known around these parts...the Choking Dogs. LA Times sports columnist T.J. Simers first coined that sobriquet for the Dodgers about 10 years ago or so, in the midst of another floundering season. It's stuck with them ever since, after playoff futility accrues year after year.

Baltimore wipes KC out in 5 or 4 games. Giants and Cardinals wage a 7 game battle...and I literally don't know which team will prevail. They both are so clutch in the postseason that they could end up playing a 20-inning Game 7.

Heh... Choking Dogs is exactly what Kornheiser calls the Caps!

And I see Rick has already found out we signed Hardy for a few more years. Yay!

The prognostications have been very wrong so far. :)

Who specifically has been wrong? If Baltimore wins it all, I am going to cash in on my futures. I like my chances big time. I do not think the NL series is really a series anyone can pick with confidence. I see most picking the O's in the AL, but most are not only on the fence in the NL but are tongue tied. I sure have no clue. I think it may go 7. But I feel very strong about my team.

Signing Hardy is huge. And you an bet the Yankees are not happy. They wanted Hardy,.

Let me say this one more time for the American League teams:

I really want to congratulate the Baltimore Orioles and the Kansas City Royals for making it to the 2014 American League Championship Series. It has been a long, long time for both of these teams. It has been even longer since either one of these teams have made it to the World Series.

For the Baltimore Orioles it has been 31 years ago since they won the 1983 World Series (against the Philadelphia Phillies).

For the Kansas City Royals it has been 29 years ago since they won the 1985 World Series (against the Saint Louis Cardinals).

Now onto the National League teams: The Saint Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants.

This is a direct and verbatim quote from the Sports section of USA Today on Thursday, October 9, 2014 (yesterday):

"Indeed, the Cardinals and the Giants have become national TV fixtures in October, combining to reach the NLCS seven times since 2010. The series that opens on Saturday at Busch Stadium pits the two clubs that have represented the NL in the World Series each of the last four years, and many of their principal characters are the same".

Again, this is a direct quote from USA Today national newspaper. I am not making this stuff up. The Cardinals and the Giants are more than Post-Season Veterans. They are Post-Season Winners. The Best of the Best in the National League for the past 4 years. I will admit that I think this will be a very tough and hard fought series between these two very seasoned teams. Of course being a die-hard Saint Louis Cardinals fan, I have the Hope and Faith that the St. Louis Cardinals are again destined to make it to the 2014 World Series for the third time in four years.

I will take making it to the World Series 3 times in 4 years (2011-2014) over making it to the World Series 1 time in the past 31 (Baltimore) or 29 (Kansas City) years.

I think that this is clear cut and actual facts that prove that the Saint Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants have been and will always be considered the better of the National League teams and definitely the better and more "historical" teams then both of the Baltimore Orioles and the Kansas City Royals combined. It would take another 30+ years to even consider the Orioles and the Royals in the same sentence with the Cardinals and the Giants when it comes down to making it and winning Championships and World Series Titles on a yearly basis.

GO CARDINALS!!!

This is not to be misconstrued as an affront to the Orioles or the Royals. I am merely stating FACT and not mere conjecture. Good Luck to both of these American League winners.

Let me say this one more time for the American League teams:

I really want to congratulate the Baltimore Orioles and the Kansas City Royals for making it to the 2014 American League Championship Series. It has been a long, long time for both of these teams. It has been even longer since either one of these teams have made it to the World Series.

For the Baltimore Orioles it has been 31 years ago since they won the 1983 World Series (against the Philadelphia Phillies).

For the Kansas City Royals it has been 29 years ago since they won the 1985 World Series (against the Saint Louis Cardinals).

Now onto the National League teams: The Saint Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants.

This is a direct and verbatim quote from the Sports section of USA Today on Thursday, October 9, 2014 (yesterday):

"Indeed, the Cardinals and the Giants have become national TV fixtures in October, combining to reach the NLCS seven times since 2010. The series that opens on Saturday at Busch Stadium pits the two clubs that have represented the NL in the World Series each of the last four years, and many of their principal characters are the same".

Again, this is a direct quote from USA Today national newspaper. I am not making this stuff up. The Cardinals and the Giants are more than Post-Season Veterans. They are Post-Season Winners. The Best of the Best in the National League for the past 4 years. I will admit that I think this will be a very tough and hard fought series between these two very seasoned teams. Of course being a die-hard Saint Louis Cardinals fan, I have the Hope and Faith that the St. Louis Cardinals are again destined to make it to the 2014 World Series for the third time in four years.

I will take making it to the World Series 3 times in 4 years (2011-2014) over making it to the World Series 1 time in the past 31 (Baltimore) or 29 (Kansas City) years.

I think that this is clear cut and actual facts that prove that the Saint Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants have been and will always be considered the better of the National League teams and definitely the better and more "historical" teams then both of the Baltimore Orioles and the Kansas City Royals combined. It would take another 30+ years to even consider the Orioles and the Royals in the same sentence with the Cardinals and the Giants when it comes down to making it and winning Championships and World Series Titles on a yearly basis.

GO CARDINALS!!!

This is not to be misconstrued as an affront to the Orioles or the Royals. I am merely stating FACT and not mere conjecture. Good Luck to both of these American League winners.

Well the Orioles do have some of their own history and its certainly deeper than KC's. But if we advance and I believe we will, it will be a first time matchup regardless of who wins in the NL. Baltimore are the favorites right now on the odds board. The O's and Cadinals are both favored to get there, but its very very slight favorite Cards over Giants. That series is a true toss up to me. I do not care about the past appearances. But one thing kind of jumps out at me. I do not remember the Cardinals ever playing the Yankees in the Series in modern history. I mean post late sixties lets say. I think they met way way back either fifties or early sixties? Not sure. But the Yankees have been there very often and if you want to talk about history, you cant touch them with your Cardinals. The Orioles have only existed since the early fifties. So keep that in mind. Yes they had a miserable run after they won the series with Cal Ripken, who's legacy is not tainted like your fake Mark McSteroid. It matters not who we play as long as we beat KC who are going to try and steal their way to the Series? Well, you have to get base hits first before you can steal bases. And if they dare to run every time they get a single, Joseph and Hundley will be ready. Hardy and Schoop can field the ball with the best. You cannot generate as many runs that way as you can getting hits and then hitting the ball out. I do not believe they can shut us down for 9 innings. I do not believe anyone can. I still believe the Dodgers were the best team in the NL. Mattingly found a way to mess it up and still kept his job. Look what Baltimore did to St Louis when they came to town earlier? They beat them up pretty good. Not sure if KC played the Giants. I am going to see. KC and the Cardinals would be the only rematch. 1985. I remember that game 7 as they had the great George Brett and won something like 9-0. There is a part of me that wants to see an Orioles vs Giants series because a friend of mine is a Giants fan and I love that stadium of theirs on the ocean. If its the Cardinals I have you to fight with. lOL

ORIOLE UPDATES:

Matusz has been placed on roster and Jiminez is off. A bit of a surprise due to the good performance vs Tigers. But maybe its a left handed availability issue? We have Miller who is our best leftie reliever and pitcher period.

JJ Hardy as you know has been signed to a 3 yr/ $40 million dollar contract. To me this is a brilliant signing. Great SS's are hard to come by. JJ has and will continue to be great for us

Talks are underway to sign Cruz and Markakis to contracts. These guys too are huge. And I will come right out and say it. More important to sign them than Davis. Nick is a great defender, has a great arm, and is one of the toughest outs in baseball.

Cruz, well you know and he wants to stay in Baltimore and play for Buck

This is very smart maneuvering by the O's because they know the Yankees and Red Sox and others will try and land these guys.

Well, the Royals are getting the slight nod as far as their starting pitching. But is it more of an edge than the Tigers had? I think not. To me Chen is a big big question. Maybe Buck needs a leftie? But I go with Gausman

Watching High Heat on MLB network. Both like Orioles and Cardinals in the Series. They pick Cards in 7 and O's in 5 or 6

If this happens, me and the King are going at it

I'm watching High Heat too and Chris Russo is talking about weather issues in Baltimore. Rick and ebk, you know anything about this?

I have heard it several times and its a bummber. And one guy does pick a Baltimore vs SF series. I hope the game does not get interrupted by rain. that sucks

I'm watching High Heat too and Chris Russo is talking about weather issues in Baltimore. Rick and ebk, you know anything about this?

I'm still in Chicago, but I hear the weather at home sucks. I must say, though, that if they have to postpone the game... I will be able to go!! So, come on rain!! :D

I'm still in Chicago, but I hear the weather at home sucks. I must say, though, that if they have to postpone the game... I will be able to go!! So, come on rain!! :D

How can you say that Esther? Aye!!! But I rather they call it than play in slop. players get injured and underdogs have a better shot. Of course I do not know if you can run as well in the mud? So maybe it hurts KC? They believe its going to get worse later in the evening. So if its a drizzle to start and you know the skies are going to open in the 6th or 7th inning, and its an ALCS game, how the hell do you justify playing it? If both games are played on schedule, the AL series will have two games in before the first pitch is thrown in game one in St Louis. But of course the fist game is right after game two of the ALCS. No double headers in this big of a deal. If this is delayed a game its a nightmare for me. That means when I fly out next Friday night at 7, and arrive in NJ at 830, I miss a couple innings and must worry about a late afternoon game or two while I am down there. I am NOT missing this. Not for some damn shopping at Bloomingdale's or for a ride bye the Statue of Liberty or dinner with the Corleone's. Forget about it! I will pay the lousy fee for watching a few innings on my I Phone.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to land, please turn off all electronic devices. :tears::wall:

I see the tarp on the field right now. If the weather is going to be crap, I think it's best just to call the thing off until tomorrow. I have to think this layoff may screw with both teams mojo. Hmmm....

I don't know. If you believe it has an effect on both teams then its a wash. I hope the weatherman is wrong but the radar says he is right. Here in upstate NY the sun is out but it is Autumn for sure. Well, I have to go out and feed the birds, especially my Cardinal. LOL. The King and I may be on a collision course. I will let EBK handle him. Ha. Just kidding.

I don't know. If you believe it has an effect on both teams then its a wash. I hope the weatherman is wrong but the radar says he is right. Here in upstate NY the sun is out but it is Autumn for sure. Well, I have to go out and feed the birds, especially my Cardinal. LOL. The King and I may be on a collision course. I will let EBK handle him. Ha. Just kidding.

If they call it, it would be nice if they did it before I get on the plane so I can pull my tickets off of StubHub...

As far as the Cards fan goes... he's all yours :)

It's on the bay. But it would be interesting to see a stadium on the ocean. :)

Oh for God's sake don't start posting like that other guy on here with his nit picking. I KNOW ITS ON THE FUCKING BAY. Its salt water and Alcatraz is there as is the Golden Gate Bridge. Over 2000 have jumped off that bridge. Maybe you should give it a try?

Oh for God's sake don't start posting like that other guy on here with his nit picking. I KNOW ITS ON THE FUCKING BAY. Its salt water and Alcatraz is there as is the Golden Gate Bridge. Over 2000 have jumped off that bridge. Maybe you should give it a try?

Hey, fuck you too.

Try to inject a little humor and......

Archived