2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Nothing to do with tonight's series--just a cool pic I came across and thought I would post here:

$_35.JPG

That is one cool pic!

I like Joe Buck...but I hate Fox Robot Sports coverage. Wished the World Series was on another channel...and I don't mean ESPN.

The head won out over the heart in Gane One. The Giants do what they always seem to do in the Bruce Bochy era...win in October. Bumgarner was brilliant again and Shields wasn't.

Stat Kansas City fans won't like: Game 1 winners have won 10 of the last 11 Fall Classics. Peavy isn't Bumgarner by any means, so the Royals still have a shot to get back in it. They certainly can't afford to go to San Francisco down 0-2.

redrum, are you going to any of the games in San Francisco?

Nothing lasts forever, particularly post-season winning streaks. The Royals maybe down 0-1 in the World Series but I wouldn't count them out just yet. It's nice to see a small market team make it to MLB's biggest stage. Why should the big market teams have all the fun?

Now we have a series. It'll be National League rules in San Francisco...none of that designated hitter nonsense. But, since everyone is raving about how the Royals are like an old-school baseball team that can play small-ball, this shouldn't affect them too much. Hopefully San Francisco's weather cooperates and we don't have any freak rain delays...or earthquakes!

So with the 2-3-2 format, the next three games are in San Francisco. How do you all feel about that?

Statistically speaking, I believe it is rare that the home team sweeps those middle three games, whether you're talking about baseball or basketball. In fact, that's one reason the NBA went back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format in 7 gane series.

I am surprised baseball hasn't done the same. I never liked the 2-3-2 format.

So with the 2-3-2 format, the next three games are in San Francisco. How do you all feel about that?

Statistically speaking, I believe it is rare that the home team sweeps those middle three games, whether you're talking about baseball or basketball. In fact, that's one reason the NBA went back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format in 7 gane series.

I am surprised baseball hasn't done the same. I never liked the 2-3-2 format.

But since baseball is played every day, whereas basketball usually has day(s) off in between games, a format that had the teams playing 1 game "series" at the end would...suck... I like the 2-3-2.

I kinda DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK OR A RAT'S ASS!!! NOT WATCHING ONE PITCH. What a joke of a series. Nobody in this country cares outside of those two cities.

Since it seems that nobody else has the balls to say this to you and with all due respect, YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!

So now you speak for the 300+ million Americans? I will tell you what the joke is: the baltimore orioles. The last time they won a World Series was 32 years ago. I was a kid back then and you were already a middle aged man. Get over it. The orioles winning the American League division this year was a fluke. They chocked and chocked bad while being swept by the Kansas City Royals.

I hope that the Real Baseball Fans on this forum will not have to endure your meandering ramblings next year about how the orioles are the greatest team of all-time. At least my meanderings about the Saint Louis Cardinals Organization are based on fact and backed up with recent National League Championships and World Series Titles. Not something that happened just 3 years after the tragic and untimely death of John Henry Bonham.

I kinda DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK OR A RAT'S ASS!!! NOT WATCHING ONE PITCH. What a joke of a series. Nobody in this country cares outside of those two cities.

Well...I wouldn't be quite so dismissive dear. I'm watching every pitch. I love baseball. Already planning the spring training trip!

Speak for yourself. Some of us are enjoying this World Series. Is there anymore of an underdog team than the Kansas City Royals? As for the Giants, San Francisco is one of my favorite American cities. Bay area real estate is way too expensive for me to ever consider living there but I love to visit. I'm rooting for KC for sentimental reasons but I'd be okay if the Giants win it.

You sound like you could be a dickhead "fan" capable of doing this.

CAPITOLA, Calif. -- The San Francisco Giants fan who suffered a traumatic brain injury after being beaten by two Dodgers fans three years ago outside Dodger Stadium put up his hands and fingers, fist-bumped his mom and talked about his goals in a display of his progress during an interview aired Wednesday morning.

Bryan Stow, wearing a Giants tank top, spoke to ESPN from his parents' home in the Northern California city of Capitola, where he watched Game 1 of the World Series between the Giants and Kansas City Royals.

In an interview about nine months after the attack, Stow had trouble holding a simple conversation and appeared to struggle to raise his arms and hands or even smile.

But in the new interview, he made faces for the camera, joked about the Giants' margin of victory, gave a thumbs-up sign and showed the reporter a ball signed by Giants legend Will Clark. He used a walker but moved without assistance.

"I want to run. I want to walk, like a normal person," he told ESPN.

Stow, 45, said he is happy to be alive.

"Waking up every morning knowing I'm here. This place makes me feel good," he said.

Stow was attacked in a parking lot of Dodger Stadium on March 31, 2011. He won a $14 million lawsuit against the Dodgers this July, but his attorney sued the team again last month, claiming it is trying to recoup $3.4 million in insurance payments from Stow for his medical care.

Stow was in the courtroom for part of the trial, his wheelchair positioned front and center so jurors could see the scars on his head where his skull was temporarily removed during efforts to save his life.

Experts testified that the former paramedic will never work again and has suffered repeated strokes and seizures. They said he will require around-the-clock care.

Stow's father, Dave Stow, told ESPN that his son has come very far.

"We didn't think he would be this mobile or vocal. He can sit and have dinners with us. He's very funny," Dave Stow said.

Bryan Stow said he remembers going to watch the Giants play but doesn't remember the attack. His parents say they have re-created a memory of it at his request.

"Well, had I known, I would have turned to see the guy running at me and ready to clock my block, you know," Bryan Stow said.

Dodgers fans Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood pleaded guilty to the attack. Sanchez was sentenced to eight years in prison, while Norwood received a four-year sentence.

Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press

Archived