2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

As of this moment, the Royals have only 2 innings left to score a run to tie the game. That Bumgarner is shutting the Royals down. (Him I do have "respect" for. He is a dominant pitcher who exudes confidence without a lot of arrogance, in My opinion. A big difference to me compared to some of his other teammates that I have already mentioned).

Come on Kansas City!!! I believe you can do it.

As much as it is to My dismay, I would like to congratulate the 2014 World Series Champions, the San Francisco Giants. The Giants have proven they are a team to always be taken seriously. I must say that, even though the Giants beat the Cardinals in the NLCS, the Saint Louis Cardinals are also a team to be taken seriously every baseball season.

I am already predicting a re-match between these two Monster Clubhouses with a different outcome next October.

I would also like to congratulate the Kansas City Royals for a great season and a very serious run at the Title.

Till next spring...

Edited to Add:

Rest In Peace. Oscar Tavares. #18.

Woohoo!!! Congrats to the Giants. Madison Bumgarner is a beast!! The Royals made it interesting. All in all, a really good Series.

Here's to next season and a clean slate for everyone.

3 1/2 months till pitchers and catchers report!!

Wow! Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants! They took on the historical odds against them and rode the masterful arm of Madison Bumgarner to the Promised Land. That had to be the easiest vote for MVP in recent World Series history.

I am sure many people were wondering what Giant manager Bruce Bochy would do come the 9th inning: Leave Bumgarner out there or bring in the closer? But there wasn't a soul stirring in the Giants bullpen...it was clear Bochy was leaving it up to Bumgarner. This makes 3 World Series championships in 5 years for the Giants...further cementing their status as BEST TEAM in the National League so far in the 21st Century. Bruce Bochy is a First Ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt in my mind. And there aren't enough superlatives for what Madison Bumgarner did this postseason. Clayton Kershaw, take notes kid on how to really be a clutch pitcher.

I wish my Angels could figure out what is keeping them from reaching the Giants level of play...what keeps them from breaking thru in the postseason. I'm sure Baltimore fans would like to know the same thing.

To redrum, chef free, and the chase (and any other Giants fans on the Forum I don't know about), bust open a bottle of bubbly and celebrate your team's victory! You've earned the right to crow long and loud about your team! All 29 other teams in MLB bow down to your Giants. We're not worthy. :notworthy:

Hail to the new champions of baseball!

I would also like to say to all the rest of the real baseball fans that stuck around and watched the 2014 World Series who's teams were eliminated either very early on or defeated in the Post-Season, this Buds for You (and Baseball).

To the others who talked a big game about their team all season long and when their team lost in humiliating fashion and said that this 2014 World Series was a "joke", I think that the "JOKE" was on you and your over-hyped and over-analytical play-by-play of just about every game they won or lost. Your braggadocio of said team only made you, in My opinion, more of a funny side note to all that you claimed your team to be. A 2014 one-hit wonder only to burn out and fade away for another 32 years.

Is Baltimore receiving Me?

Wow! Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants! They took on the historical odds against them and rode the masterful arm of Madison Bumgarner to the Promised Land. That had to be the easiest vote for MVP in recent World Series history.

I am sure many people were wondering what Giant manager Bruce Bochy would do come the 9th inning: Leave Bumgarner out there or bring in the closer? But there wasn't a soul stirring in the Giants bullpen...it was clear Bochy was leaving it up to Bumgarner. This makes 3 World Series championships in 5 years for the Giants...further cementing their status as BEST TEAM in the National League so far in the 21st Century. Bruce Bochy is a First Ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt in my mind. And there aren't enough superlatives for what Madison Bumgarner did this postseason. Clayton Kershaw, take notes kid on how to really be a clutch pitcher.

I wish my Angels could figure out what is keeping them from reaching the Giants level of play...what keeps them from breaking thru in the postseason. I'm sure Baltimore fans would like to know the same thing.

To redrum, chef free, and the chase (and any other Giants fans on the Forum I don't know about), bust open a bottle of bubbly and celebrate your team's victory! You've earned the right to crow long and loud about your team! All 29 other teams in MLB bow down to your Giants. We're not worthy. :notworthy:

Hail to the new champions of baseball!

Thank you Strider and all the others who believed in the Giants. I never made any predictions and totally ignored all the yammering on by the media about this, that and the other.

This game kept me on pins and needles as I knew that just one swing of the bat could change the whole outcome.......(Like that triple in the bottom of the ninth) :smiley_pray: But the Bum didn't let it faze him. Damned amazing. Now it's time for a new Giants hat. :)

Side note: Now, if only the idiots celebrating in SF would stop being idiots.

When I was watching the game I was thinking of the old time players like Mays, McCovey, Gaylord Perry, Juan Marichal, Mike McCormick, etc. plus the old announcers Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons. That, and I think the Giants colors woolybear caterpillar I took a pic of as a good omen for the series. :)

post-503-0-97657100-1414716759_thumb.jpg

This was a great post season, imo. The Giants were always in the running but who would have predicted the Royals would blow by the Angels and Orioles? They made the Giants work for the World Series title and took it down to the wire.

I agree and think that this was a good World Series. All bias aside, I cannot help but think that the SF Giants won this Series on the arm of Madison Bumgarner. He does indeed deserve to win the MVP. I am and was very impressed by his pitching, subtle confidence and determination throughout the Series. As much as I personally dislike the Giants because they outplayed and defeated the Saint Louis Cardinals, I do have the honesty and courage to admit such.

With that being said, I still and will never waver on the Power and Strength and the History that the Saint Louis Cardinals bring it on every year after year, season after season. Mark My Words... I do not know and really do not care what happens in the MLB Off-Season, the Saint Louis Cardinals will be back in the 2015 National League Play-Offs as usual.

Call that Cocky or Arrogance but can anyone make a claim like that and back it up with proven facts and statistics? Besides the San Francisco Giants?

Or to bait LedZeppfan77, brag all you have and want, but when was the last time the Baltimore Orioles won a World Series? Answer: 32 years ago.

I guess when whoever starts the 2015 MLB Baseball Thread, you will continue spouting the same ole "Baltimore this, Baltimore that". The Orioles are the best team of all-time and will easily sweep and defeat the Kansas City Royals next season.

I agree and think that this was a good World Series. All bias aside, I cannot help but think that the SF Giants won this Series on the arm of Madison Bumgarner. He does indeed deserve to win the MVP. I am and was very impressed by his pitching, subtle confidence and determination throughout the Series. As much as I personally dislike the Giants because they outplayed and defeated the Saint Louis Cardinals, I do have the honesty and courage to admit such.

With that being said, I still and will never waver on the Power and Strength and the History that the Saint Louis Cardinals bring it on every year after year, season after season. Mark My Words... I do not know and really do not care what happens in the MLB Off-Season, the Saint Louis Cardinals will be back in the 2015 National League Play-Offs as usual.

Call that Cocky or Arrogance but can anyone make a claim like that and back it up with proven facts and statistics? Besides the San Francisco Giants?

Or to bait LedZeppfan77, brag all you have and want, but when was the last time the Baltimore Orioles won a World Series? Answer: 32 years ago.

I guess when whoever starts the 2015 MLB Baseball Thread, you will continue spouting the same ole "Baltimore this, Baltimore that". The Orioles are the best team of all-time and will easily sweep and defeat the Kansas City Royals next season.

We have a better team than your Cardinals right now Pal. We will see who wins more next year. Can't wait. We get our stars back.

Congratulations to the Giants and their fans! Apparently the state of Missouri's got nothing on you! 3 out of 5, verrry nice! That's what is remembered in the record books, not who gets close everytime. That becomes a joke, when a team consistently gets close and wins 1 title or less - like the Braves of the 90's/2000's or the A's of the late 80's/early 90's or more recently the Cardinals of the 2010's.....

On another embarrassing note - the moment the World Series ended, A-Roid's suspension was over. What a black eye on the sport he is!

Congratulations to the Giants and their fans! Apparently the state of Missouri's got nothing on you! 3 out of 5, verrry nice! That's what is remembered in the record books, not who gets close everytime. That becomes a joke, when a team consistently gets close and wins 1 title or less - like the Braves of the 90's/2000's or the A's of the late 80's/early 90's or more recently the Cardinals of the 2010's.....

On another embarrassing note - the moment the World Series ended, A-Roid's suspension was over. What a black eye on the sport he is!

And you and your team have him. Ha. My friend who is a Yankees die hard fan hates him. Wants him gone. But its no simple getting rid of him

And you and your team have him. Ha. My friend who is a Yankees die hard fan hates him. Wants him gone. But its no simple getting rid of him

You are correct, Rick. I feel the same way and have since Day 1. He has never been clutch and then embarrasses the organization time and time again - as well as the game itself. They have not been spending their money wisely and I'm surprised Cashman was re-signed again as GM. First and foremost, they need to get a starting pitching rotation that isn't on the DL for months on end. Plus they need to stop getting these aging players for "a bargain" - it's not a bargain if the players don't consistently produce. Get the farm system producing again, like they did with Jeter, Rivera, Williams, Posada, etc. Girardi made chicken salad out of chicken sh!t these past two seasons and still they fell short of contending for anything. We'll be back though....looking for title #28! At least there have been 5 in the last 19 seasons and 7 overall since I've been a fan following them!

I just saw this and wanted to post it. The headline was the 7 favorites to win the 2015 World Series: and their odds.

Kansas City Royals: 16-1
Saint Louis Cardinals: 12-1

San Francisco Giants: 12-1

Los Angeles Angels: 10-1

Detroit Tigers: 10-1

Washington Nationals: 15-2

Los Angeles Dodgers: 15-2...

No mention whatsoever of the Baltimore Orioles, the Toronto Blue Jays, the Boston Red Sox, the New York Yankees, etc..

Also no mention of the Milwaukee Brewers, the Chicago Cubs, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Miami Marlins, the Philadelphia Phillies, etc...

I just saw this and wanted to post it. The headline was the 7 favorites to win the 2015 World Series: and their odds.

Kansas City Royals: 16-1

Saint Louis Cardinals: 12-1

San Francisco Giants: 12-1

Los Angeles Angels: 10-1

Detroit Tigers: 10-1

Washington Nationals: 15-2

Los Angeles Dodgers: 15-2...

No mention whatsoever of the Baltimore Orioles, the Toronto Blue Jays, the Boston Red Sox, the New York Yankees, etc..

Also no mention of the Milwaukee Brewers, the Chicago Cubs, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Miami Marlins, the Philadelphia Phillies, etc...

There is no mention of the AL East because too many winter moves are still up in the air. That does not mean a thing this early line. Lets see what it is after Cruz and guys like that sign their contracts. The Angels being on that list is laughable. The Cubs will be on that list when the dust settles. get ready for the Cubs dude. They are going to be for real

Here is a prediction that will stick....the Cardinals will make the playoffs and lose - again.

I will concede that this may be a fair prediction for the 2015 baseball season/post-season. However, I must say that I would prefer that the team I Love at least make it to the MLB Playoffs on a very consistent basis, as the Mighty Saint Louis Cardinals seem to do year after year.

I know and realize that we all have our favorite teams for various reasons, and I respect that. That is what the United States of America is about and what Major League Baseball is about. At least with being a Saint Louis Cardinals fan, I can expect a great baseball team every year, regardless if they make it to the World Series. There are really not a lot of other Major League teams that can prove themselves so consistently season after season like the Cardinals do and are capable of. My Love and Respect for the Saint Louis Cardinals will never waiver. Even if They come in last place in 2015 (which They will not), I know that They have the strength, aptitude, determination, talent, etc... that will never make Them obsolete. There are more teams in the history of baseball that have not, can not and will not ever come close to the Superiority that the Saint Louis Cardinals Organization have displayed ever since the beginning of said Organization.

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!!

This is a sad commentary on the times we live in...where a team can't win a championship without its fans rioting. Ground Zero for this trend was thirty years ago when the 1984 Detroit Tigers won the World Series.

San Francisco Giants fans take to streets after World Series win

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpeg
October 30, 2014 8:28

By Rory Carroll

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Fans of the San Francisco Giants took to the streets to celebrate on Wednesday night after their team won the baseball World Series, topping the Kansas City Royals, but the festivities were marred by raucous fans and fires.

Hundreds, many clad in the team's orange and black, flooded Valencia Street in San Francisco's Mission District after the final out in the seventh game of the baseball championship. Some perched themselves on bus stops, while others set off fireworks, hugged, high-fived and cheered with beer and champagne in the middle of the street.

"(Pitcher Madison) Bumgarner blew my mind tonight!" said Beau Adams, a San Francisco native sporting a Giants tattoo.

"The balance of superstition and belief and pride and confidence makes it all come together," he added.

As the celebrations dragged on late into the night, fans set fires in the streets while others gawked as people took turns jumping over each other. Police, many in riot gear, were out in force and broke up the more unruly demonstrations.

KTVU, a local television station, reported police made numerous arrests during the night after some threw bottles at officers, but did not provide an exact tally.

The TV station also said two people were shot in the city during the late-night festivities, though it was unclear whether the shooters or the victims were revelers themselves. Police department officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency late Wednesday suspended all bus service in the city due to safety concerns.

It was the eighth World Series title for the Giants, and the third in five seasons after victories in 2010 and 2012.

Bumgarner was named the Most Valuable Player of the World Series after sealing the Giants' 3-2 game seven victory over the Royals, with five shutout innings of relief.

"I think (Bumgarner) should be president," said lifelong Giants fan, Nacho Ramone, after the win. (Writing and additional reporting by Curtis Skinner)

1af06256abcef42a630f6a706700de46.jpg

5de5ddf7ac3ff62a630f6a70670002aa.jpg

63e6c3c9abd0f42a630f6a7067003bb0.jpg

fa44cd63ad98fc2a630f6a706700bf09.jpg

Photos by Noah Berger/AP Photo

This is a sad commentary on the times we live in...where a team can't win a championship without its fans rioting. Ground Zero for this trend was thirty years ago when the 1984 Detroit Tigers won the World Series.

San Francisco Giants fans take to streets after World Series win

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpeg
October 30, 2014 8:28

By Rory Carroll

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Fans of the San Francisco Giants took to the streets to celebrate on Wednesday night after their team won the baseball World Series, topping the Kansas City Royals, but the festivities were marred by raucous fans and fires.

Hundreds, many clad in the team's orange and black, flooded Valencia Street in San Francisco's Mission District after the final out in the seventh game of the baseball championship. Some perched themselves on bus stops, while others set off fireworks, hugged, high-fived and cheered with beer and champagne in the middle of the street.

"(Pitcher Madison) Bumgarner blew my mind tonight!" said Beau Adams, a San Francisco native sporting a Giants tattoo.

"The balance of superstition and belief and pride and confidence makes it all come together," he added.

As the celebrations dragged on late into the night, fans set fires in the streets while others gawked as people took turns jumping over each other. Police, many in riot gear, were out in force and broke up the more unruly demonstrations.

KTVU, a local television station, reported police made numerous arrests during the night after some threw bottles at officers, but did not provide an exact tally.

The TV station also said two people were shot in the city during the late-night festivities, though it was unclear whether the shooters or the victims were revelers themselves. Police department officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency late Wednesday suspended all bus service in the city due to safety concerns.

It was the eighth World Series title for the Giants, and the third in five seasons after victories in 2010 and 2012.

Bumgarner was named the Most Valuable Player of the World Series after sealing the Giants' 3-2 game seven victory over the Royals, with five shutout innings of relief.

"I think (Bumgarner) should be president," said lifelong Giants fan, Nacho Ramone, after the win. (Writing and additional reporting by Curtis Skinner)

1af06256abcef42a630f6a706700de46.jpg

5de5ddf7ac3ff62a630f6a70670002aa.jpg

63e6c3c9abd0f42a630f6a7067003bb0.jpg

fa44cd63ad98fc2a630f6a706700bf09.jpg

Photos by Noah Berger/AP Photo

Looks like Mission Street to me. Dumb fucks.

Archived