2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

This is a sad commentary on the times we live in...where a team can't win a championship without its fans rioting. Ground Zero for this trend was thirty years ago when the 1984 Detroit Tigers won the World Series.

San Francisco Giants fans take to streets after World Series win

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpeg

October 30, 2014 8:28

By Rory Carroll

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Fans of the San Francisco Giants took to the streets to celebrate on Wednesday night after their team won the baseball World Series, topping the Kansas City Royals, but the festivities were marred by raucous fans and fires.

Hundreds, many clad in the team's orange and black, flooded Valencia Street in San Francisco's Mission District after the final out in the seventh game of the baseball championship. Some perched themselves on bus stops, while others set off fireworks, hugged, high-fived and cheered with beer and champagne in the middle of the street.

"(Pitcher Madison) Bumgarner blew my mind tonight!" said Beau Adams, a San Francisco native sporting a Giants tattoo.

"The balance of superstition and belief and pride and confidence makes it all come together," he added.

As the celebrations dragged on late into the night, fans set fires in the streets while others gawked as people took turns jumping over each other. Police, many in riot gear, were out in force and broke up the more unruly demonstrations.

KTVU, a local television station, reported police made numerous arrests during the night after some threw bottles at officers, but did not provide an exact tally.

The TV station also said two people were shot in the city during the late-night festivities, though it was unclear whether the shooters or the victims were revelers themselves. Police department officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency late Wednesday suspended all bus service in the city due to safety concerns.

It was the eighth World Series title for the Giants, and the third in five seasons after victories in 2010 and 2012.

Bumgarner was named the Most Valuable Player of the World Series after sealing the Giants' 3-2 game seven victory over the Royals, with five shutout innings of relief.

"I think (Bumgarner) should be president," said lifelong Giants fan, Nacho Ramone, after the win. (Writing and additional reporting by Curtis Skinner)

1af06256abcef42a630f6a706700de46.jpg

5de5ddf7ac3ff62a630f6a70670002aa.jpg

63e6c3c9abd0f42a630f6a7067003bb0.jpg

fa44cd63ad98fc2a630f6a706700bf09.jpg

Photos by Noah Berger/AP Photo

I congratulate the San Francisco Giants on winning 2014 World Series, however from what I see of these pictures, I will and do condemn the SFG fans for all that senseless destruction. There are way more better ways to enjoy and celebrate a championship then this.

I can assure anyone who read this: the Fans of the Saint Louis Cardinals and the citizens of Saint Louis, Missouri would NEVER react in such an unruly and destructive manner/way.

Free agents are open to sign with any club, starting today--where will some of the big names like Scherzer and Nelson Cruz land?

Cruz says he wants to stay in Baltimore. But I think there is a limit to what the Orioles will spend on him. Davis could come back and have another monster year. Machado and Wieters will be a sight for sore eyes. I am getting so sick of these lame Cardinal posts. Almost like the Nazi propaganda machine in full spin. I love Cardinals. The birds. I put sunflower seeds out for them. The baseball team? I am sick hearing it. Why don't you let the free agency play out before you start up your propaganda Mr King. My phone is ringing off the hook with political adds. Driving me nuts. Just like you. Sherzer? Maybe to the Cubs,. Watch our for the Cubs I tell you. They are not going to be door mats any longer

I love Cardinals. The birds. I put sunflower seeds out for them. The baseball team? I am sick hearing it.

+1 Love those birds! We have 4 that fly around our house and land on the fence, tree branches, etc. My wife thinks that one is my father coming to visit us - he loved both as well.

Looking forward to seeing how the Yankees spend their $ this off season.

2015 should be very interesting, as far as the NL East is concerned. I don't see any one team being a monster in that division, so the Mets may have a shot--with Harvey, Wheeler and DeGrom at the top of our rotation, things could be pretty good; just wish we had a new manager....

+1 Love those birds! We have 4 that fly around our house and land on the fence, tree branches, etc. My wife thinks that one is my father coming to visit us - he loved both as well.

Looking forward to seeing how the Yankees spend their $ this off season.

Mine I have not seen in weeks. I think the Blue Jays chased him away. I put sunflower seeds, suit feeder, and my bird feeder house out. I also put peanuts out to try and deter the 4 squirrels. But they bury the nuts and then go after the seeds. I wish the Cardinal would return. Perhaps with the snow. They seem to tolerate the winter more than Blue Jays. As for baseball, the Cubs will win the Central. Hear that King Cardiac? The Orioles will win the East again. We have unfinished business and we have 3 all star starters returning to the already great lineup. Buck will make sure we get our day

Yes, it is, but what is your point?

:blink: Really? Obviously the residents of Saint Louis, Missouri, and its suburbs, are fully capable of rioting and looting, so once again your opinion is off the mark. If you are referring to winning a championship, I guess we will have to wait a while to in fact see if they will or not. They've already shown what they are fully capable of.

I congratulate the San Francisco Giants on winning 2014 World Series, however from what I see of these pictures, I will and do condemn the SFG fans for all that senseless destruction. There are way more better ways to enjoy and celebrate a championship then this.

I can assure anyone who read this: the Fans of the Saint Louis Cardinals and the citizens of Saint Louis, Missouri would NEVER react in such an unruly and destructive manner/way.

I used to live right on that corner where the morons are 'celebrating.' It's not the greatest neighborhood in the city, believe me.

:blink: Really? Obviously the residents of Saint Louis, Missouri, and its suburbs, are fully capable of rioting and looting, so once again your opinion is off the mark. If you are referring to winning a championship, I guess we will have to wait a while to in fact see if they will or not. They've already shown what they are fully capable of.

Yes, I was referring to Saint Louis winning a championship. We all know why certain residents and citizens of Ferguson rioted and looted. For those that don't know, it was in response to a white Ferguson police officer shooting and killing an unarmed black man.

And yes, the Cardinals are fully capable of winning championships.

A Stellar jay at my sister's old house. They would do battle with the squirrels for the peanuts.

post-503-0-62610700-1415149645_thumb.jpg

A Stellar jay at my sister's old house. They would do battle with the squirrels for the peanuts.

Beautiful

On another subject. JJ Hardy, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis ALL WON GOLD GLOVE AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :hurrah:

DO THE CARDINALS HAVE 3 GOLD GLOVES FELLA? THAT MEANS YOU KING CARDIAC

Beautiful

On another subject. JJ Hardy, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis ALL WON GOLD GLOVE AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :hurrah:

DO THE CARDINALS HAVE 3 GOLD GLOVES FELLA? THAT MEANS YOU KING CARDIAC

No. They have one 2014 Gold Glove winner for the 7th year in a row in catcher Yadier Molina (even though he missed about 2 months of this past season with an injury).

More Importantly, since the year 2004, the Saint Louis Cardinals have 6 National League Division Titles and 4 World Series appearances with 2 wins and 2 loses. Not to mention the 4 straight National League Championship appearances (2011-2014). I would consider this feat AND FACT of tremendous and more of historical importance then any feat ever accomplished by the Baltimore Orioles in their whole franchise existence. All this in just in the past 10 years.

How many American League Division titles, World Series appearances and straight American League Championship appearances do the Baltimore Orioles have in the last 10 years? That is the real question. Not some silly comparison about who has the most Gold Glove winners.

The Saint Louis Cardinals will be right back up there for the 2015 Major League Baseball season. They always are and always will be. That is one of the many reasons that I am a Proud and Loyal Saint Louis Cardinals fan: the Cardinals are one of, if not the most formidable, powerful and consistent Baseball Teams of All-Time.

Edited to add: Come on. Do you really want to play Childish Games with Me about the Saint Louis Cardinals? You post a lot more rubbish about how the Orioles are the best team of all-time and how they are the team to beat. The Kansas City Royals humiliated the Orioles with a 4 game Sweep. That was really fun to watch. If I posted the same about the Cardinals in and on this topic, that you posted in detail and somewhat very boring detail about the play by play at bats and even went as far as posting why the Orioles lost a game. You even posted about how you disagreed with an umpire because he called a strike when you said it was a ball. This came from you all last season. For the record, I NEVER posted such absolute nonsense and rhetoric. Can We expect all the minute details from every fucking game that the orioles lose or win next season?

Can or will you state your exact age or what year you were born? I just turned 44 years of age 2 days ago. 11/4/1970. The reason I ask is because I just really just made it to the "middle age" point. I surmise that you are about 20+years older then Me. If I am correct, that would make you almost 65 years old. If I am correct and you are near or older then 65, do you really hope to see your Orioles make it past the second round of the playoffs in your lifetime?

If you choose to answer, will you please answer true and correct?

GO CARDINALS!!!

I think that the Saint Louis Cardinals will dominate and win (again) the National League Central Division. As always, the Cardinals will face stiff and hard competition but They will and always seem to overcome said competition (not last season, I will admit) and will be back in the 2015 Post-Season.

How many teams can claim 4 straight NLCS appearances? Even with the appearances and loses, that is something to be Very Proud of.

When was the last time the Baltimore Orioles or the Los Angeles Dodgers made it to 4 straight consecutive Championship Series? Then answer is never or at least never in the past 10 years.

Where is ledzeppfan77 when such questions are asked?

He is still to embarrassed to respond on this topic because his team, the Sorioles, were humiliated and swept by the Kansas City Royals. A team that he said that the Sorioles were gonna beat and were a sure thing to win the 2014 World Series.

I think that the Saint Louis Cardinals will dominate and win (again) the National League Central Division. As always, the Cardinals will face stiff and hard competition but They will and always seem to overcome said competition (not last season, I will admit) and will be back in the 2015 Post-Season.

How many teams can claim 4 straight NLCS appearances? Even with the appearances and loses, that is something to be Very Proud of.

When was the last time the Baltimore Orioles or the Los Angeles Dodgers made it to 4 straight consecutive Championship Series? Then answer is never or at least never in the past 10 years.

He is still to embarrassed to respond on this topic because his team, the Sorioles, were humiliated and swept by the Kansas City Royals. A team that he said that the Sorioles were gonna beat and were a sure thing to win the 2014 World Series.

Losing by one run with 3 AL All star starters out of the lineup is nothing to be ashamed of. We buried your team head up. So take that and put it in your pipe and smoke it

Mr Know it all. The Cubs will win the Central. I have no doubt.

Some basics:

Nine innings in a regular game - no ties in baseball

Games are not timed, they go on for as long as it takes for a team to have more runs than the opponent

Nine players are in the field on defense

Visiting team bats first

A run is scored when a batter touches all of the bases including home plate

The batting team keeps going until there are three outs

If the home team has the lead after the visiting team reaches three outs in the ninth inning the game is over

If you digest that, I can give you more if you are interested.....and there is a lot more.

Some basics:

Nine innings in a regular game - no ties in baseball

Games are not timed, they go on for as long as it takes for a team to have more runs than the opponent

Nine players are in the field on defense

Visiting team bats first

A run is scored when a batter touches all of the bases including home plate

The batting team keeps going until there are three outs

If the home team has the lead after the visiting team reaches three outs in the ninth inning the game is over

If you digest that, I can give you more if you are interested.....and there is a lot more.

Very well done. Those soccer nuts over there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We won the AL EAst. I am not in the least humiliated because we lost 3 American League All Star starters you fool!! Your posts are so lame. Baltimore beat the shit out of your Cardinals. We had to beat the Yankees and Toronto and even the defending Red Sox and a tough Tampa team. You had squat to beat. And THE CUBS WILL WIN THE CENTRAL NEXT YEAR. MARK IT DOWN FELLA. And Baltimore will win the East again. And have their stars back. You lose Machado, Davis and Wieters and tell me its not going to matter you fool.

Archived