2014 FIFA World Cup

LedZeppfan77

Ho hum. Holland blows it in a big match...again. They are like the Dallas Cowboys of the 60s and early-70s...branded as a team that "couldn't win the big one". Who's bogus idea was it to have Vlar kick a PK, let alone the first one? Robben had a couple interesting forays near the goal but couldn't finish the job. Persie was useless. I nearly nodded off during the extra time...I could feel it was going to penalty kicks. Both teams seemed to be playing not to lose instead of playing to win. I think it was nearly 80 or so minutes into the match and both Robben and Messi had still not attempted a shot on goal.

Germany vs. Argentina. No surprise who I am rooting for...Deutschland, natch! Obviously, Argentina's defense is stouter than Brazil's so it won't be raining goals like it was Tuesday. I wonder which country the referee will be from?

Brazil vs. Netherlands is interesting only to see which team can muster any spirit and pride after their losses in the semifinals. Is it easier to play after you've been humiliated like Brazil, or lose a heartbreaker like the Netherlands?

I cannot believe this Argentina team got here. The Dutch were a better team throughout. Argentina like I said, plays like the Italians. And they got to the PK's on that boring type play. Germany should beat them. As long as they are not too overconfident after Brazil's collapse. Argentina will not make those mistakes at the top of the box. They will defend first and attack second even if they have to take their chances in a PK which they must like their chances in. I will pick Germany 3-1.

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch the final tonight.......two teams I have absolutely no interest in. Having said that I think Messi is the best player in the world.

Then why do some say Ronaldo is the best? If you ask me, I would take Ronaldo. Or that kid on Colombia. Germany should win this game based on how they have played. Argentina is blessed to be there. Netherlands never should have lost that game. I do not think PK's means a damn thing. It does not make Argentina better than the Dutch. No way

The only thing Argentina has going for it is the revenge factor. 4-0 loss four years ago will still be fresh on their minds

^^^

It's apples and oranges, Rick. Some argue for Ronaldo...some for Messi. In the long run it doesn't matter because Pelé stands above all.

Unless you're English...then you're probably flying the flag for George Best.

Ironic matchup in the World Cup Final today: Germany vs. Argentina, haven for former Nazis.

Deutschland über alles!

post-1470-0-26301800-1405277186.png

Then why do some say Ronaldo is the best? If you ask me, I would take Ronaldo. Or that kid on Colombia. Germany should win this game based on how they have played. Argentina is blessed to be there. Netherlands never should have lost that game. I do not think PK's means a damn thing. It does not make Argentina better than the Dutch. No way

The only thing Argentina has going for it is the revenge factor. 4-0 loss four years ago will still be fresh on their minds

Football isn't about how well or how badly a team plays, it's about who puts the ball in the back of the net the most be it in normal time, extra time or via penalty kicks. Penalty kicks in knockout tourney's after extra time mean everything. I love it when games are drawn, even at 0-0 and have to be decided by PKs. It may not seem fair sometimes particularly if the team you are routing for may have looked to be the strongest in open play. Defensive play may look like a cop out against a team strong in attack but keeping the ball out of your own net is paramount. In my view Argentina were, right from the begining one of the teams most likely to make the final no matter how well or how badly they played. It will be fantastic if Germany win considering that when the WC finals have been played on the South American continent no team from outside there has won the competition.

^^^

It's apples and oranges, Rick. Some argue for Ronaldo...some for Messi. In the long run it doesn't matter because Pelé stands above all.

Unless you're English...then you're probably flying the flag for George Best.

Ironic matchup in the World Cup Final today: Germany vs. Argentina, haven for former Nazis.

Deutschland über alles!

attachicon.gifDFBNationalFootballTeam.png

I cannot believe that ball hit the post. It should be 1-1. I just hope this does not go to PKs. Messie is faster than Ronaldo. But is he not younger also? Argentina like Italy has always been a lucky team in my opinion. they just seem to get the bounces like that post. Still think /Germany finds a way. But its no lock. I wonder where Lebron is sitting? After this game, I will not see a game for four years.

Damn I wish I was on that damn beach. Some of those poor Latino's from Buenos Aires need consoling. LOL :drunk:

Well just like in the Olympics, see you in four years. I know its in Russia in 4 years. Does that mean they automatically qualify? I know they got in this year. But they were not very good?

Go see GOOGLE search page. World Cup theme./ Flags of the World

As many have said, Portugal have C. Ronaldo, Brazil have Neymar, Argentina have Messi...but Germany have a team. Congratulations to them on their well-deserved win. I felt bad for team Argentina but at least it prevented Maradona from gloating like a pig.

Personally, I am rooting for Germany to win it all! I just love watching them play!!

LOL! I guess one of my wishes for this world cup did get fulfilled (although I did change my mind later on, with regard to which team is my favourite!)! :D

Honestly, initially Germany was my favourite team, BUT after a while (I must admit), the Dutch totally wowed me and I started liking them even more!!

The Dutch will always be my favourite team! But I am mighty glad that my second favourite team, won it all!!! :yay:

As for Argentina, part of me felt sorry for them and the other part felt that they deserved to lose! It was all pretty even-steven, till that young kid Gotze changed it all and pretty much made history!!

Does that mean they automatically qualify? I know they got in this year. But they were not very good?

Yes they do. That is why every year the English fans pray that it will be given to them! Well done Germany. A bit of an anti climax of a game but a cracking goal to win it. By the way: UP YOURS MARADONA :sarcastic_hand:

As many have said, Portugal have C. Ronaldo, Brazil have Neymar, Argentina have Messi...but Germany have a team. Congratulations to them on their well-deserved win. I felt bad for team Argentina but at least it prevented Maradona from gloating like a pig.

But not eating like one.

Yes they do. That is why every year the English fans pray that it will be given to them! Well done Germany. A bit of an anti climax of a game but a cracking goal to win it. By the way: UP YOURS MARADONA :sarcastic_hand:

Pardon my skepticism, CP, but it seems to me that England's problem isn't qualifying but in advancing past the Round of 16. Hosting a World Cup wouldn't guarantee England's solving that dilemma.

Dead chuffed for Die Mannschaft's victory...World Cup #4!!!! As were these fellow German revelers cruising down Hollywood Blvd. afterwards.

post-1470-0-02167300-1405328901_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-59339800-1405328951_thumb.jp

But not eating like one.

Pardon my skepticism, CP, but it seems to me that England's problem isn't qualifying but in advancing past the Round of 16. Hosting a World Cup wouldn't guarantee England's solving that dilemma.

Dead chuffed for Die Mannschaft's victory...World Cup #4!!!! As were these fellow German revelers cruising down Hollywood Blvd. afterwards.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140713_162042.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140713_162053.jpg

I am mostly English on my mother's side and German on my real/biological father's, who I have no contact with, but I would always cheer for England. I believe its because of History. England has been a great friend to us with only Canada being in the same rank. And speaking of mixing apples and oranges Strider, the Kings and the Germans victory have nothing in common. I will say the World Cup is the only True World champion.

So before this thread disappears, does anyone know if Russia gets an automatic qualification in 4 years because they are scheduled to host it? With Putin at the helm, nothing is certain. I mean, I hope there is no trouble in the world with them in 4 years. They have work to do as do Brazil. The USA made a good showing of themselves with the Belgium game being a bit disappointing as their was a feeling we could beat them

Oops. I guess that is Klose holding up the Cup. my mistake

Dude, are you talking about my "signature photo"? That's attached to the bottom of every post...everyone has a choice of a signature quote or photo....and it has no relation to the main body of the post. It's just a tag. :rolleyes:

So before this thread disappears, does anyone know if Russia gets an automatic qualification in 4 years because they are scheduled to host it? With Putin at the helm, nothing is certain. I mean, I hope there is no trouble in the world with them in 4 years. They have work to do as do Brazil. The USA made a good showing of themselves with the Belgium game being a bit disappointing as their was a feeling we could beat them

Chillumpuffer answered your question already...look above! Yes, as WC host, Russia gets an automatic "in".

Archived