2014 FIFA World Cup

LedZeppfan77

Well I could never cheer on Germany, Italy, or Japan. England and Spain might surprise a few people. England!

I will cheer for England. not Spain. The Netherlands should give them all they can handle Could be a draw?

I watched a story this past weekend about how Brazil built a $270 million stadium in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest for a total of 4 games to be played in. There isn't even any road access to it....

Only 1 and 8 kids play organized hockey in Canada. More kids under the age of 16 play soccer in Canada now over hockey or any other sport. In our community over the last 4 years we have seen a huge spike in membership numbers for both boys and girls which is great. This is the 1st year we have 2 full U12 boys team which shows the interest when 4 years ago we not field a single team without having to reach into the 2nd year U10's.

I watched a story this past weekend about how Brazil built a $270 million stadium in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest for a total of 4 games to be played in. There isn't even any road access to it....

What are they nuts? If you survive the Piranha's and Anaconda's you can make it to the game? No thanks. And those little red frogs that you just touch and you are toast

Did anyone see this E:60 report about Qatar? (host of 2022 World Cup) It's basically a modern slave state.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11019010

Although it won't happen I would like to see a boycott of the 2022 WC. There is going to have to be a month long break here in England (not forgetting other countries) whether or not we qualify to play in Qatar. An unacceptable situation, awarding the tournament to this desert state was unefinbelievable in the first place. Makes me wonder if there were any fat envelopes passed under the table to secure the finals for the totally unsuitable for football state of Qatar. Blatter, you have made yourself out to be a complete fool.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24578542/qatar-world-cup-corruption-worker-deaths-a-criminal-combination

Unfortunately that's what these world-wide sport competitions have become. Cash grabs for the organizations, politicians, etc. Meanwhile the people's backs whom the money gets made from are in ghettos, enslaved, and will have to mortgage the future to keep paying for the expense for building and future expense for maintaining these other-wise unusable stadiums. Look at what happened to Greece after the 2004 Olympic Games? Brazil is getting a double whammy between the World Cup and then the Oplympics coming up in 2 years....social unrest is rising there, that's for sure!

https://www.google.com.br/maps/place/Arena+da+Amaz%C3%B4nia/@-3.1071257,-59.9722731,13248m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x926c1075084e24b7:0xf9b7425863b43290

There are plenty of roads to access the arena in Amazonas. Manaus is a 2,000,000 people city, the capital of Amazonas state.

Strider, the song sucks. But don't worry, nobody lsiten to this shit here, it doens't play anywhere.

I just want to express that this WC sucks in every single way. Billions of dollars spent on arenas and things people here don't need. And most people here are in need of the most basic things. I have always loved a WC, have always cheered upon te games. I have never been less enthusiastic about a WC than now. And I can state that most people here are delusional, the costs of these stupid games have been too high. And I truly hope that the Olympic Games move from Rio to any other city in the US or in England, or whatever, as the rumours around here say. We don't need any more of this shit here.

Will Hodgson play Rooney tonight or not? is he injured? or just off his game?

No he is just shite. Personally wouldn't pick him. He has failed in every major tourney, either through petulance or just being crap. Though he works hard enough, he is there primarily to score goals and as his form for us this year has shown, he is not up to the task. My concern though is the defence. We will be too slow for any of the teams in our group. I may watch tonight but only for the amusement factor

I put some early action in. Took a light shot on England. Took Mexico/Cameroon over 2. Took Spain and Netherlands to draw. I took France, Argentina and Germany in a parlay. And also took a draw in the England game with Mexico over and Argentina. I will be surprised if Argentina and Germany do not win their first game. I was tempted to take Australia with a goal. Still on the fence

So what's with all the stories about match fixing? Do you feel safe laying money on games that have been "controlled"?

Also, why the J-Lo pull out? Seems like more negative aura surrounding the World Cup than ever.

Also, why the J-Lo pull out? Seems like more negative aura surrounding the World Cup than ever.

It looks like she has changed her mind and that she will be actually here, on the opening ceremony. Not that I care, really, the song sucks.

Looks like the refs are going to be helping Brazil then. Brazilian player elbows opposition player in the face, sent off?? No, Croatian forward beats Brazilian goalkeeper to ball fairly, ball goes across the face of the goal where Croatian player puts it in the net, Goal?? No. The answer is Yes to both questions, unfortunately the ref didn't see it the same way as millions of other people.

Looks like the refs are going to be helping Brazil then. Brazilian player elbows opposition player in the face, sent off?? No, Croatian forward beats Brazilian goalkeeper to ball fairly, ball goes across the face of the goal where Croatian player puts it in the net, Goal?? No. The answer is Yes to both questions, unfortunately the ref didn't see it the same way as millions of other people.

Agreed Joe. I didn't watch much of it but the cheating Brazilian actor? Never a penalty, NEVER. At 1-1 the hosts were in clear danger of being beaten. Then a quick dive and the use of a villa on the beach sees the referee give a spot kick. Where is the technology? The ref could have reviewed it and sent the player off for blatant cheating. And as you correctly say the Croats then had a perfectly good goal disallowed for errrrrrr? That's right nothing. If this is how the tourney is going then I for one am not watching.

So what's with all the stories about match fixing?

Hate to quote myself, but this is the sh!t I was hearing about. Looks like Brazil was the recipient of the "favorable calls" yesterday. Destroys the whole validity of the tourney, IMO.

FUCK the Brazilians, it's war, just because it's the jungle doesn't mean they shall win

Archived