2014 Grammy Awards - January 26th/2014

SandraAnn

Any word on if any of them are going to attend the event?

I noticed an advertisement this evening for the Grammy Awards and the word "unleashed" was used very prominently all over the tv screen in whimsical lettering! I couldn't help but think of Jimmy's recent use of that word in connection with his solo music!

<sigh> a girl can dream, huh? :rolleyes:

I would love to see them attend, but I have a feeling they will not. But I will be watching just in case! :)

Here my thoughts I shared on my Facebook page and my Led Zeppelin friends...

This weekend, the 56th Annual Grammy Awards will award performers, musicians and songwriters in dozens of diverse categories. One of these categories is Best Rock Performance, and among the nominees this year is Led Zeppelin. That’s right, Led Zeppelin. No, this isn’t 1975... but if it was, you would know that no rock band dominated the 1970s like Led Zeppelin. Not the Rolling Stones, not The Who, not The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or any other collection of musicians of any style. Perhaps the first band ever to feature the musicians (Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham) on a level playing field with the lead vocalist (Robert Plant), in the genre of rock music, Led Zeppelin owned the decade. They sold more albums and more concert tickets than any band around, and not just by a little bit. Over the span of this decade alone, they put eight albums on the charts, each of which went to #1 on the charts in the US, UK or both. Tours in 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, and 1977 continued to set new attendance records year by year. Sadly, the ride for Led Zeppelin seemingly ended prematurely in 1980 with the death of drummer John Bonham.

That is until 2007. After 27 years and several ill-fated joint appearances, including Live Aid, Led Zeppelin came together for one final time. Unlike the Stones or the Who, this band has chosen not to tour endlessly to line their pockets. Also unlike the Stones or many of their contemporaries, when they did reunite, it was just the three original members, joined by John Bonham’s son Jason, who assumed the drum kit in honor of his father. They were not accompanied by a bunch of poorly hidden backup musicians who “really” played the songs.

To be clear, this 16 song set, performed in honor of, and for the benefit of, the charitable foundation of Ahmet Ertegun, former head of Atlantic Records, was crisp, tightly rehearsed, and everything the fans could ever dream of in a ROCK PERFORMANCE. Although over 20 million people (yes, 20 million) applied online for tickets, only 16,000 lucky fans were fortunate enough to witness the show in person in London’s O2 Arena. Starting with their first song off their first album “Good Times, Bad Times”, building through “Stairway to Heaven”, climaxing with an epic performance of “Kashmir” (the song actually nominated for this performance-based award), and concluding with the classic “Rock and Roll”, this set proved it has truly been a long, long, lonely time without Led Zeppelin in our musical daily diary.

Since that great night, the band has returned to their respective corners, and it is more likely than ever this will be the last time we ever see Led Zeppelin perform in public. Recipients of the Kennedy Center Honor from President Obama in 2012, they also released the cinematic and audio version of the concert that inspired this nomination in 2012. With no slight intended to any of the other nominees, many of whom are more properly nominated and likely to win a Grammy in another Rock category, whether this is 1975, 2007 or 2014, this HAS to be the night and year for Led Zeppelin to reclaim their rightful place as the best rock band ever. Just in case you missed it, in one short minute at the link below, you can get a glimpse back at how magnificent this performance truly was. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbusDxLekPQ

why are they nominated in 2014, and not last year?

Those were my thoughts exactly, Slave.

Cookie just posted on his Led Zep News facebook page that Jimmy is in Thailand and will probobly not be at the Grammy's.

We’ve heard that Jimmy Page is spending this week in Thailand, meaning that he won’t be attending the Grammy Awards ceremony on Sunday.

Here my thoughts I shared on my Facebook page and my Led Zeppelin friends...

This weekend, the 56th Annual Grammy Awards will award performers, musicians and songwriters in dozens of diverse categories. One of these categories is Best Rock Performance, and among the nominees this year is Led Zeppelin. That’s right, Led Zeppelin. No, this isn’t 1975... but if it was, you would know that no rock band dominated the 1970s like Led Zeppelin. Not the Rolling Stones, not The Who, not The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or any other collection of musicians of any style. Perhaps the first band ever to feature the musicians (Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham) on a level playing field with the lead vocalist (Robert Plant), in the genre of rock music, Led Zeppelin owned the decade. They sold more albums and more concert tickets than any band around, and not just by a little bit. Over the span of this decade alone, they put eight albums on the charts, each of which went to #1 on the charts in the US, UK or both. Tours in 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, and 1977 continued to set new attendance records year by year. Sadly, the ride for Led Zeppelin seemingly ended prematurely in 1980 with the death of drummer John Bonham.

That is until 2007. After 27 years and several ill-fated joint appearances, including Live Aid, Led Zeppelin came together for one final time. Unlike the Stones or the Who, this band has chosen not to tour endlessly to line their pockets. Also unlike the Stones or many of their contemporaries, when they did reunite, it was just the three original members, joined by John Bonham’s son Jason, who assumed the drum kit in honor of his father. They were not accompanied by a bunch of poorly hidden backup musicians who “really” played the songs.

To be clear, this 16 song set, performed in honor of, and for the benefit of, the charitable foundation of Ahmet Ertegun, former head of Atlantic Records, was crisp, tightly rehearsed, and everything the fans could ever dream of in a ROCK PERFORMANCE. Although over 20 million people (yes, 20 million) applied online for tickets, only 16,000 lucky fans were fortunate enough to witness the show in person in London’s O2 Arena. Starting with their first song off their first album “Good Times, Bad Times”, building through “Stairway to Heaven”, climaxing with an epic performance of “Kashmir” (the song actually nominated for this performance-based award), and concluding with the classic “Rock and Roll”, this set proved it has truly been a long, long, lonely time without Led Zeppelin in our musical daily diary.

Since that great night, the band has returned to their respective corners, and it is more likely than ever this will be the last time we ever see Led Zeppelin perform in public. Recipients of the Kennedy Center Honor from President Obama in 2012, they also released the cinematic and audio version of the concert that inspired this nomination in 2012. With no slight intended to any of the other nominees, many of whom are more properly nominated and likely to win a Grammy in another Rock category, whether this is 1975, 2007 or 2014, this HAS to be the night and year for Led Zeppelin to reclaim their rightful place as the best rock band ever. Just in case you missed it, in one short minute at the link below, you can get a glimpse back at how magnificent this performance truly was. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbusDxLekPQ

Your post just gave me chills :tears:

Great piece MonkeyOMB - thanks for posting. Loved seeing trailer again. Chills for me too. Lots of good musicians & bands out there - but none have the physical impact of Zep - no other makes you soooooo glad you're alive. Will be watching the Grammys - just in case.

why are they nominated in 2014, and not last year?

I'm certain that the reason is rather simple, in that the nominees have to release their product in a certain window of the year. Celebration Day came out in November, so that probably was pass the eligibility of 2013 and instead 2014 :)

I'm certain that the reason is rather simple, in that the nominees have to release their product in a certain window of the year. Celebration Day came out in November, so that probably was pass the eligibility of 2013 and instead 2014 :)

Correct :)

If Jimmy was in Thailand, Ross was too. He posted pictures he took there, not including Jimmy in them or even mentioning that Jimmy was with him. The last day Ross wrote was 2/23. They could be anywhere at this point. I think this is too important an event for the guys to miss. Celebration Day being nominated 2x? I really can't see Jimmy missing that. If any wins, I agree it will be "Kashmir."

I don't normally watch the Grammy's, however I knew I was going to watch this years show. I do think they will receive a Grammy :peace: I'll change channels otherwise!

lol, Debs :)

ah i see. thanks, Funky :)

Correct :)

and thank you too, Cookie :)

Man, it's hard...I loved Celebration Day and The Next Day. Whoever wins -- so long as it's Sabbath, Bowie, or Zeppelin -- I'll be happy. :P

They don't have to be there to accept it...maybe management will, on their behalf, or (maybe) they could have a pre-recorded video.

Archived