They won their first grammy!

Fernando Gongora

Congratulations to the guys! Jimmy, John, Robert and John...without them all, there would be no Led Zeppelin! Truly deserved, and the fact that Zep can win an award 34 years after splitting up, says alot.

1620734_688360651184675_1884448877_n.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the typo in the title, I was too excited :bubble:

good but way to late

Interesting info about Merle Haggard. Although I still don't like the song--if it's satire, it's not nice to make fun of ignorant poor people. Anyway, so, either Cyndi Lauper or perhaps LL Cool J presented Zep's award? Well, at least they are old enough to remember Zeppelin in the 70s! I guess that was the best the Grammys could do...am I also reading the replies correctly to understand the Grammys were not presented live?? What a joke!!! I guess they needed time to dub Beyonce's vocals.

On the grammys official website, there were like 3 or 4 different "cams" that I was switching back and forth from looking for any members of Zep to be there, there was a 'portrait cam', a 'red carpet cam' and other cams. These cams started much earlier in the day before it even aired on tv. It was on these cams earlier in the day where they did the awards that were not aired on tv. Some performers were there and accepted their awards, and some were not.

They didn't present Zeppelin's award at all -- it was announced before the show began.

Only this time Zep ignored the Grammy's. They still have not said anything about their win.

I'm sure they will shortly.

I mentioned this earlier here or on the other Grammy thread, that very few of the awards are given out during the actual broadcast. So, unless they had been up for one of the biggies like album or record of the year, like Robert was with Alison for "Raising Sand", many won't attend. There is sort of a feeling when a particular artist will win big with lots of noms, it's their time or something else (like the the type of collaboration with Robert and Alison). Something like that.

Interesting info about Merle Haggard. Although I still don't like the song--if it's satire, it's not nice to make fun of ignorant poor people. Anyway, so, either Cyndi Lauper or perhaps LL Cool J presented Zep's award? Well, at least they are old enough to remember Zeppelin in the 70s! I guess that was the best the Grammys could do...am I also reading the replies correctly to understand the Grammys were not presented live?? What a joke!!! I guess they needed time to dub Beyonce's vocals.

It's not completely satirical. Haggard didn't particularly like those that protested the vietnam war the way they did. There was a little bit of that in the song. He was very much for the troops. He wrote other songs more blatantly pro troops in that period as well. "Fighting Side of Me" being the most notable. But a lot of the song was more based on his dad being the ultra conservative type. In interviews I've read on Merle he seems very libertarian in his views talking about civil rights and that we should be on the gold standard. This should really all be in a different thread. Don't know how we got into Merle Haggard's politics in a thread about Zeppelin's grammy.

The Grammy's are not about awards anymore. Which is probably the only thing making it watchable in some sense. It's basically a big concert show now. Glad Zeppelin got recognized but their legendary status was pretty much put in place without the help of the Grammys.

So there's some justice in the world...unfortunately I missed it...I don't suppose any of them appeared? Who accepted it?

I just tuned in to the Grammys now...heard a right-wing, bizarrely anachronistic song sung by Merle Haggard who I thought was dead; now there's some pseudo-disco on and I'm about to turn it off....

:o

Big congrats to Led Zeppelin. I've been taking in a lot of info all day watching the grammy awards on the grammys official website. Cyndi Lauper announced the nominees and winner for best rock performance (which Zeppelin did not win), but it was the person who did the announcing after her who announced the winner for best rock album. I don't know who he was, but I can tell you he was not associated with Led Zeppelin in any way, he was just an announcer, a black man. (sorry I don't remember his name). Again I watched this earlier in the day on the grammys official website. My memory got foggy after someone here on the board asked who accepted the award for Led Zeppelin just because I have been taking in a lot watching the awards all day, I forgot if it was Cyndi Lauper or the guy after her, but rest assured they were not associated with the band in any way. Then again while I was watching on the internet and Black Sabbath won an award they said Black Sabbath could not be there (just as they said the members of Zep could not be there for their award), but when I watched it on tv Black Sabbath was there which just confused me more. Sorry about my foggy memory.

You wasted all day watching the Grammys? Your wife must be a very patient woman.

I thought the whole show was stupid,rap,punk rock,yuk,all one hit wonders!!

Yeah, who let those one-hit hacks Merle Haggard and Kris Kristofferson on the stage? Not to mention Carole King, Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl, Nile Rogers, Stevie Wonder, and Paul McCartney...for shame!

I am so upset how the band was treated. No wonder the guys still haven't said anything about their win.

They will say something in time. Probably Feb. 20 to coincide with the so called planned press conference to possibly announce the first box sets. Only a few of the awards are presented during the show. Most are announced prior (during the pre ceremony) announced in groups of awards or at the bottom of your TV screen at times.

I am so upset how the band was treated. No wonder the guys still haven't said anything about their win.

I understand where you are coming from, and feel the same way, despite Black Sabbath being present, I don't think they were treated much better, if it weren't for Kris from Nirvana, I don't think they got a worthwhile mention, which Dave Ghrol really surprised me.

"Upset how the band was treated."

Nobody was there to be treated at all, badly or not. Some of you are taking this way too seriously...it's the Grammys, after all. This is the same organization that gave Best New Artist to Starland Vocal Band over Elvis Costello in 1977.

I doubt Robert, Jimmy or Jones gave a moments thought about the Grammys.

Yeah, who let those one-hit hacks Merle Haggard and Kris Kristofferson on the stage? Not to mention Carole King, Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl, Nile Rogers, Stevie Wonder, and Paul McCartney...for shame!

Agreed Strider. There was some great acts performing. Sure we saw some things that were ridiculous but what do you expect?

I really loved Imagine Dragons with Kendrick Lamar. Epic combination that i had expected to be a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

"Upset how the band was treated."

Nobody was there to be treated at all, badly or not. Some of you are taking this way too seriously...it's the Grammys, after all. This is the same organization that gave Best New Artist to Starland Vocal Band over Elvis Costello in 1977.

I doubt Robert, Jimmy or Jones gave a moments thought about the Grammys.

The Starland Vocal Band over Elvis Costello? That's sounds about on par with The Grammys. I had thankfully forgotten all about the Starland Vocal Band who sang the song "Afternoon Delight" about smoking doobie(s!) and / or doing the wild thing in the afternoon? Man I hated that song because, well, it sucked and they played the living bejeavers out of it on the radio. Back then we had two 'decent' radio stations and were lucky to escape any given hour without hearing that song at least once on one of the stations.

As far as them caring, I think that you're absolutely right. I don't think that they could give a care. In fact I remember reading a quote from Page about the Grammys. I can't remember exactly what he said but he was pointing out that Led Zeppelin had never won a Grammy and I read it as he was saying it in a joking fashion. I wish I could remember when or where I read that. For some reason I think that I may have read it on Page' "On This Day" page. Maybe I can come up with it via a duckduckgo.com search or perhaps I could post it in Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones if it would interest anyone other than me.

Archived