Whole Lotta Love HTWWW vs TSRTS

joeboy

Well there's more to the HTWWW version with it having three additional songs in the medley. And yes, Robert's voice is better on HTWWW. That being said, I tend to prefer TSRTS version, mainly for Jimmy's guitar tone, and the finale--there's just something about it...

I prefer HTWWW overall. The way the band neutered the intro on TSRTS version and the weakness of the vocals and chorus kind of ruins it for me.

Part of the greatness of WLL is the tension and release of the opening riff by Jimmy, then Jones joining on bass, and finally Bonzo crashing in on the first chorus.

But I do prefer the theremin section on TSRTS to HTWWW, and the finale is great, too.

Frankly, my ideal WLL would be a Frankenstein version. The main part of the song, verses and chorus from a good-sounding 1970-72 performance, say Montreux or Ft. Worth 70 or Berkeley 71. Then I would insert the funky break and theremin bit from one of the March or May 75 shows. The Boogie-medley part would be a combination of any good Let That Boy Boogie-You're So Square Baby I Don't Care from 1973, Hello Mary Lou-Let's Have a Party-Slow Down from 6.25.72 or 9.14.71, I Gotta Know-Twist & Shout from 9.29.71, Bottle Up & Go-Some Other Guy from 9.19.70, and I Can't Quit You from 3.24.73.

Then I would have the ending be from MSG 73.

Maybe that could be a project for some mad scientist out there...ledzepfilm perhaps?

I prefer HTWWW overall. The way the band neutered the intro on TSRTS version and the weakness of the vocals and chorus kind of ruins it for me.

Part of the greatness of WLL is the tension and release of the opening riff by Jimmy, then Jones joining on bass, and finally Bonzo crashing in on the first chorus.

But I do prefer the theremin section on TSRTS to HTWWW, and the finale is great, too.

Frankly, my ideal WLL would be a Frankenstein version. The main part of the song, verses and chorus from a good-sounding 1970-72 performance, say Montreux or Ft. Worth 70 or Berkeley 71. Then I would insert the funky break and theremin bit from one of the March or May 75 shows. The Boogie-medley part would be a combination of any good Let That Boy Boogie-You're So Square Baby I Don't Care from 1973, Hello Mary Lou-Let's Have a Party-Slow Down from 6.25.72 or 9.14.71, I Gotta Know-Twist & Shout from 9.29.71, Bottle Up & Go-Some Other Guy from 9.19.70, and I Can't Quit You from 3.24.73.

Then I would have the ending be from MSG 73.

Maybe that could be a project for some mad scientist out there...ledzepfilm perhaps?

I'm with you Strider on this one. A couple of things I would add would be the break after the first two choruses of the song, the theramin section and "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" from Hamburg in March 1973. This part is just so great from that show as is Boogie Chillun, You're So Square and Let's Have A Party. The band is just playing so great during this song. It's such a funky version with that "Do The James Brown" bit!

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't anyone else have a hard time with these "era" vs. "era" threads? The 1972 and 1973 WLL medleys are great in their own right...and different beasts altogether.

I probably prefer the 1972 version (from HTWWW), but only because I've listened to it more.

Doesn't anyone else have a hard time with these "era" vs. "era" threads? The 1972 and 1973 WLL medleys are great in their own right...and different beasts altogether.

Yes, it's an evolution really; each tour builds on what they learned, created and discovered during the last tour and the off time between.

Yes, it's an evolution really; each tour builds on what they learned, created and discovered during the last tour and the off time between.

• 2 weeks later...

TSRTS will always be my favorite to watch AND listen. One can not simply replace a timeless classic.

HTWWW is usually my favorite to listen. The recording quality itself is undoubtedly superior, as well as certain bits of Page's playing and Robert's singing. Bonham ad Jones are always good.But the're two different eras we must learn to both appreciate equally. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

The boogie numbers in the HTWWW version is what turned me onto Led Zeppelin

Driving far away to go camping, my poor family probably listened to WLL 200 times that weekend, I just kept it on repeat the whole trip

:stereo:

The boogie numbers in the HTWWW version is what turned me onto Led Zeppelin

Driving far away to go camping, my poor family probably listened to WLL 200 times that weekend, I just kept it on repeat the whole trip

:stereo:

They'll thank you for it later.

I've never liked WLL from TSRTS, I think it's just not that great compared to HTWWW. I love the longer melodys especially Japan 9/24/71! If only that version has better quality with Your Time Is Gonna Come! But back to these two, I feel the HTWWW went harder and has a great melody. I also think it was best when Jimmy played some cool riffs before jumping into the main riff.

Archived