2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

MVP - Lots of good choices here....Murray, Brady, Rodgers, Romo....even Suh or Watts.

Coach - Arians or Caldwell. Both deserve a lot of credit for giving a couple perrenial losers a winning record.

The playoffs start a week early with a great slate of Sunday games this week. Time to camp out with some beer, smoke, chow and friends to watch some great football !

It's always amazed me that since I was a little kid, NFL defenses still don't have an answer for a quarterback that runs with the intent to throw. Rodgers and Wilson are the best at doing that, and it's my belief that Seattle or Green Bay will take it all in the NFC for that reason. New England and Seattle are my Super Bowl picks, with Seattle winning it all again.

As for my Lion's, streaks like our 23 losses in a row at Green Bay are meant to be broken eventually. This year is as good as any. I've always believed that a dome team needs home field advantage in the playoffs. Our road to success always lies thru Lambeau Field This is not the best Lion's team in your lifetime....the '91 team with Barry beat Green Bay at home to get a bye and a home playoff game, and we kicked Dallas' ass for our only playoff win in the modern era. I was there. Everyone that went to the game got together at my house the next week to watch the NFC Championship game on tv. We played Washington on the road, and it was 10-7 at halftime. We were all nervous wrecks....as fans we had never gone thru this before !! Washington beat us and went on to win the Super Bowl that year. That was a very long time ago, and we're all ready for some new memories ! C'mon Suh !.....time to earn your big payday ! Take his frickin' head off !! :smiley_pray:

How's that for a Lion's Rick style rant ?

Edited by Bong-Man

MVP - Lots of good choices here....Murray, Brady, Rodgers, Romo....even Suh or Watts.

Coach - Arians or Caldwell. Both deserve a lot of credit for giving a couple perrenial losers a winning record.

The playoffs start a week early with a great slate of Sunday games this week. Time to camp out with some beer, smoke, chow and friends to watch some great football !

It's always amazed me that since I was a little kid, NFL defenses still don't have an answer for a quarterback that runs with the intent to throw. Rodgers and Wilson are the best at doing that, and it's my belief that Seattle or Green Bay will take it all in the NFC for that reason. New England and Seattle are my Super Bowl picks, with Seattle winning it all again.

As for my Lion's, streaks like our 23 losses in a row at Green Bay are meant to be broken eventually. This year is as good as any. I've always believed that a dome team needs home field advantage in the playoffs. Our road to success always lies thru Lambeau Field This is not the best Lion's team in your lifetime....the '91 team with Barry beat Green Bay at home to get a bye and a home playoff game, and we kicked Dallas' ass for our only playoff win in the modern era. I was there. Everyone that went to the game got together at my house the next week to watch the NFC Championship game on tv. We played Washington on the road, and it was 10-7 at halftime. We were all nervous wrecks....as fans we had never gone thru this before !! Washington beat us and went on to win the Super Bowl that year. That was a very long time ago, and we're all ready for some new memories ! C'mon Suh !.....time to earn your big payday ! Take his frickin' head off !! :smiley_pray:

How's that for a Lion's Rick style rant ?

Except for dropping a few f-bombs and using other assorted profanity, you're on par with Rick, Bong-Man.

I guess you can't put a price on the value of a good starting QB--or even a capable backup. Carson Palmer & now Drew Stanton out for the year & the Cards have gone from potential Super Bowl contenders to being a possible "Quick Out" in the postseason. Still, I have to say--one hell of a coaching job by Mr. Arians.

And where would Tony Romo be in the MVP discussion without DeMarco Murray? I'm just saying....

To retort that a little, the game where Romo didn't play - the Cowboys didn't win. Murray's game with his broken hand (unquestionably his least amount of playing time) Cowboys still rolled. I agree that Romo wouldn't have been as effective without Murray, but the guy has played with a broken back the second half of the season and still has the highest qb rating, highest completion %, and highest ypr of any qb in football this year. Game when he was injured - lost, game when he was out - lost, game when he only had 3 days rest before playing - lost. Sounds to me like the difference marker on that team.

One thing you learn when you watch enough sports is that teams that consistently lose do so for a reason. Sure, there may be some bad luck or bad calls by the refs that go against them, but by-and-large, losing teams lose because they consistently make dumb mistakes and shoot themselves in the foot with bad performances, bad coaching, bad thinking.

Exhibit #1 this week: Detroit Lions.

How long have we waited for the Detroit Lions to step up their game and rise to the next level and become the winners that we heretofore have believed to be commensurate with their talent level? Five years? Ten years? Twenty? But maybe we have deluded ourselves into thinking Detroit's talent is all that great to begin with. With the obvious exception of Megatron. Here's the rub, though...talent alone isn't enough to win in today's NFL. You need to be smart, too.

And here is where Detroit's decades of futility comes to the fore, just like the Cubs, the Browns, the Vikings, and all the other perennial losers in American sports...these teams lose and lose because they always make the dumb play, the dumb mistake. They simply can never get out of their own way, even when it looks like there is finally light at the end of the tunnel...someone will act like an idiot and snuff the light out.

Detroit's idiot last week was Dominic Raiola. Now, Detroit goes into their biggest game in years...a division-title-on-the-line matchup against Green Bay at frigid Lambeau Field...without their starting center. Other than Quarterback and blind-side tackle, no player is more important to a team's offensive success than the starting center. He is the one that starts every play with the ball and has to ensure a smooth transfer of the ball to the QB, he usually directs the blocking assignments, and is the glue that holds the offensive line together. If the line doesn't do its job, the glamour boys can't score touchdowns.

Want to know how important losing your starting center just before a big game is...just ask the Oakland Raiders. On the eve of Super Bowl XXXVII, Raiders center Barret Robbins disappeared and the Raiders had to play the Super Bowl with the backup. It was a disaster from the very beginning.

So, say goodbye Detroit to your chance to win the division...Raiola just shot your team down. That is what losing teams do. You don't see teams like Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh make these boneheaded decisions that cost their team on the eve of a big game.

The clarion call of the fan is "Wait 'til next year!" This was supposed to be the Lions' year. But it won't be...and it won't be next year, either. They and their fans, as all fans of stupid teams must endure, are eternally doomed to say "Wait until next year."

^ ^

Certainly agree with the dumb mistakes, and that goes all the way up to scouting and drafting. However I disagree on your Raiola theory. He's consistantly ranked in the bottom 5 of Centers this year on a weekly basis. He would have been let go two years ago, but he's a salary cap cheater. There's not many 14 year veterans willing to play for just over a million bucks. Swanson, who will replace him, is a true Center who started over 50 games at Arkansas. He's also already started a couple games at guard this year and done quite well. I'm leaning towards addition by subtraction here....of course one blown snap will shoot that theory to hell.

We have other weaknesses the Packer's can exploit. If Rodgers gets consistant time to throw, we can all watch the other game. Bell was a great free agent find at running back, but he has no business being a starting back in the NFL. That's one thing I like about Caldwell though....he sticks with the run anyway. With our defense, it's okay to punt...just don't make mistakes. Stafford is much more efficient when he only throws 30 times instead of 50. Turnovers have been reduced. We're an incomplete team, but everybody buys into the system. The NFL's 16 game season never lies....we're 11-4 for a reason !

I believe this game won't be determined by the play of Aaron Rodgers, but by Mathew Stafford. On a good day he can match Rodgers play....on a bad day he gets outplayed by free agents. He was pathetic last week....but one can never tell.

I see the Bills are up early on the Pats. I can envision Rick doing a happy dance.... :party:

typical Buffalo, choke away the game they must win and (possibly) win the game that doesn't matter! I see that prick Orton is having a good game....:rolleyes:

Oh, btw, Cowboys up 27-7 in the 2nd!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I would say the Bills shook up the world, but the truth is, today has little impact on the playoff picture--the road through the AFC playoffs still has to go through Foxboro.

typical Buffalo, choke away the game they must win and (possibly) win the game that doesn't matter! I see that prick Orton is having a good game.... :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, Cowboys up 27-7 in the 2nd!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Precisely why I picked Buffalo today...I knew New England was going to rest tons of starters and not have any incentive to win. Good on your Cowboys for scalping Redskin ass today, Chuck! They are getting hot at the right time.

Go Niners, Go Rams.

No "Go Raiders" from you? ;)

CBS Sports reporting that Jim Harbaugh is the next coach of Michigan.

Good luck next year 49ers. All Harbaugh did was go 43-19 over four seasons, that's awful damned good, probably better than 90 percent of the current head coaches in the NFL. But he's high maintenance...unlike any of the owners or players.

Shame, will be sad to see SF sink down again for another decade or so.

CBS Sports reporting that Jim Harbaugh is the next coach of Michigan.

Good luck next year 49ers. All Harbaugh did was go 43-19 over four seasons, that's awful damned good, probably better than 90 percent of the current head coaches in the NFL. But he's high maintenance...unlike any of the owners or players.

Shame, will be sad to see SF sink down again for another decade or so.

Yep.

I knew most of the -old- 49'ers.