2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

How many teams in the NFL could say "if only we had a quarterback." I think there are some people in Jacksonville wondering if Bortles was the right choice--although I think if Blake can cut down on the turnovers, he will be fine.

You could say that about most quarterbacks...if they could only just cut down their turnovers.

Are Raider fans feeling good about Jack Del Rio, or will this be yet another misfire by Oakland management?

Like I said earlier, I'm on the fence about this, Paul. There's no question Jack Del Rio had some success with Jacksonville but it was earlier in his career. His last years with the Jags were not good and his recent tenure with Denver isn't quite enough to sell me on his bona fides.

Plus, as a Raider fan it rankles we have to hire a Denver Bronco as our coach.

Like I said earlier, I'm on the fence about this, Paul. There's no question Jack Del Rio had some success with Jacksonville but it was earlier in his career. His last years with the Jags were not good and his recent tenure with Denver isn't quite enough to sell me on his bona fides.

Plus, as a Raider fan it rankles we have to hire a Denver Bronco as our coach.

I hear ya, Strider! It's blasphemy to have a rival coach head up your team!

Hearing Rex speak to the press reminded me of Rick on here - a lot of hot air about what the Bills are gonna do! :rolleyes::lol:

I'm glad the Cowboys have kept Garrett on, he deserves the chance to take the team to the next level. I was surprised that Miranelli re-signed as DC, I thought it was pretty much guaranteed he would join Lovie down in Tampa. But then again, Lovie may be out after this upcoming season if he doesn't get things turned around quickly! Now, what will they do with Dez, DeMarco, and Free this off season? I heard that DeMarco was offered a 4 yr/16 mil contract. That's the same deal they gave Emmitt back in '93 when he held out to start the season. I don't care whether his fumbling ass comes back or not. He put up great stats this year, but fumbles way too much and is still injury prone - especially after a 436 carry season! People seem to think Peterson is the guy that will fill his spot in Dallas.....if so, he'd better come at a reduced price. He's supposed to receive $15 mil from Minnesota this upcoming season. Draft a rb in the third round, I say. This year's draft is supposed to be the deepest for running backs recently.

Edited by Walter

I hear ya, Strider! It's blasphemy to have a rival coach head up your team!

Hearing Rex speak to the press reminded me of Rick on here - a lot of hot air about what the Bills are gonna do! :rolleyes::lol:

I'm glad the Cowboys have kept Garrett on, he deserves the chance to take the team to the next level. I was surprised that Miranelli re-signed as DC, I thought it was pretty much guaranteed he would join Lovie down in Tampa. But then again, Lovie may be out after this upcoming season if he doesn't get things turned around quickly! Now, what will they do with Dez, DeMarco, and Free this off season? I heard that DeMarco was offered a 4 yr/16 mil contract. That's the same deal they gave Emmitt back in '93 when he held out to start the season. I don't care whether his fumbling ass comes back or not. He put up great stats this year, but fumbles way too much and is still injury prone - especially after a 436 carry season! People seem to think Peterson is the guy that will fill his spot in Dallas.....if so, he'd better come at a reduced price. He's supposed to receive $15 mil from Minnesota this upcoming season. Draft a rb in the third round, I say. This year's draft is supposed to be the deepest for running backs recently.

As long as Belichick and Brady are upright everyone else in the AFC East is playing for second place. Sorry Rick 'n' Paul...that's just the way it is.

Walter, if it's between giving Dez or DeMarco the big money, my vote would be to keep Dez. Running backs have a short shelf life in the NFL and can readily be found in the draft. A game-changing receiver is a different matter and once you find one you should keep 'em at all costs...unless he's a headcase like T.O. or Moss.

Speaking of coaches inspiring confidence--or not inspiring it in some cases--I'm guessing redrum and the rest of 49ers nation are not throwing a parade about the hire of Jim Tomsula. But, apparently, management likes Tomsula--he apparently has none of the ego and bluster of a Jim Harbaugh--whether or not that translates into victories on the field is another issue.

Rex Ryan likes to talk his shit--hopefully he wasn't serious about that Mark Sanchez talk; I can only imagine the fits Rick would pitch if the Bills signed the Sanchise... :D

As long as Belichick and Brady are upright everyone else in the AFC East is playing for second place. Sorry Rick 'n' Paul...that's just the way it is.

Believe me, I know the reality of the AFC East. But Rick keeps predicting that father time will catch up to Brady and Belichick--one day he'll get it right.... :D

Believe me, I know the reality of the AFC East. But Rick keeps predicting that father time will catch up to Brady and Belichick--one day he'll get it right.... :D

Maybe by 2020 New England will be showing their age.

A Giants fan living in Dallas. Will wonders never cease?

^ I'm behind enemy lines....lol

This is a town full of transplants. If you go to the store on Sunday morning during the season, everyone has their colors on... Its pretty cool.

It's the same here in Los Angeles. A sea of colours from Seattle green to Miami turquoise, from Dallas blue to NY Giants blue, from Raiders silver-and-black to Steelers yellow and black.

^ I'm behind enemy lines....lol

This is a town full of transplants. If you go to the store on Sunday morning during the season, everyone has their colors on... Its pretty cool.

It's the same here in Los Angeles. A sea of colours from Seattle green to Miami turquoise, from Dallas blue to NY Giants blue, from Raiders silver-and-black to Steelers yellow and black.

Same down here. Rarely see Tampa colors flying though! :huh:

Typical Cowboys hater! Read the end of the article....:rolleyes: I'm not saying Jerrah is anything that great, but a team that was that far over the salary cap (to the point they had to release their best defensive player and a face of the franchise), that was 8-8 the last 3 seasons and couldn't make the playoffs - then they change coordinators, add more staff, sign a bunch of no name players and players who'd been thrown on the scrap heap, and they become one of the best teams in the league. That deserves recognition. But all they want to talk about is him wanting to draft Manzel.

^^ I'm guessing all Cowboys fans are glad Jerry didn't pull the trigger on "Johnny Football"--not that I'm ready to declare Manziel a bust just yet, but still, the Cowboys must be relieved on that front.

As for John Fox, anything will probably be an upgrade over Trestman--but if Cutler is still going to be the man at QB, then Fox may have an uphill climb on his hands. Fox has proven he has the credentials to get a team deep into the postseason--he may not win it all, but he at least gets there; not all the time, obviously, but how many teams would love to say they just got to a SuperBowl.

I know I would probably do a few somersaults if the Fins just got to a SuperBowl....

I was checking the Vegas lines for the potential Super Bowl possibilities and here they are:

A Seattle vs. New England Super Bowl would find Seattle a 3 point favourite.

If it is Seattle vs. Indianapolis then Seattle is a 7 point favourite.

Green Bay vs. New England Super Bowl makes New England a 2 point favourite.

Green Bay vs. Indianapolis and Green Bay is a 3 point favourite.

As for the conference championships I find nothing to make me change my picks.

Green Bay @ Seattle was the first game of the season and now it is the closing game of the NFC conference. Seattle beat the Packers 36-16. Seattle is playing twice as well now than at the beginning of the season while Aaron Rodgers is half as healthy.

One has to assume that Seattle will not make the same mistake that Dallas did and blitz Rodgers early and often to get him out of his comfort zone and not allow him to find his rhythm. I was screaming at the Dallas coaches "Blitz you nincompoops! He's shredding you with all that time to hobble around on one leg!" The Legion of Boom led by that superfreak Alien Kam Chancellor will show Dallas how it's done.

As for Indy @ New England, what is there to suggest that three previous blowout victories by the Patriots won't continue? According to the NFL injury report Reggie Wayne has not practiced. That's doesn't bode well if Wayne can't play at 100%. They are already a player down thanks to the rapist.

There is also the matter of a dome artificial turf team playing outdoors in the cold.

Edited by Strider