2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

I miss football so much. It is an emptiness I can't

quie explain. So, I come on the thread to keep up with the news and to fill the void a bit. :)

I feel your pain, potted.

Glad to see your recent posts.

I think that is a brilliant move by the Seahawks. Pryor's game is similar to Wilson, he needs guidance and a mentor to increase his skills. I wonder how long until he will want out of there and a chance to play though?

Workouts have begun in many facilities! :)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10819210/oakland-raiders-trade-terrelle-pryor-seattle-seahawks

Of course, I don't have any idea who the backup QB in Seattle was last season, so maybe this trade won't mean much in the long run...

It means the Raiders last link to the Al Davis era is gone...to the Seattle Seahawks, of all teams, their old division rival.

I guess Seattle is thinking Russell Wilson might get hurt with all that running around and maybe with proper coaching, Pryor could be a useful backup.

Remember when the Draft was in April? I hate that they've moved it to May now. It just drags things out unnecessarily.

The NY Giants Will Hill suspended AGAIN for PEDs...goodbye career. Giants have really sunk to the lower depths since their Super Bowl win.

A last note...anybody see "Draft Day" yet? I hear it's not bad.

It means the Raiders last link to the Al Davis era is gone...to the Seattle Seahawks, of all teams, their old division rival.

I guess Seattle is thinking Russell Wilson might get hurt with all that running around and maybe with proper coaching, Pryor could be a useful backup.

Remember when the Draft was in April? I hate that they've moved it to May now. It just drags things out unnecessarily.

The NY Giants Will Hill suspended AGAIN for PEDs...goodbye career. Giants have really sunk to the lower depths since their Super Bowl win.

A last note...anybody see "Draft Day" yet? I hear it's not bad.

Well how can it be bad if Costner is in it? He is great. Now there is talk of Houston maybe taking the LB Mack from UB? Univesrity of Buffalo. The Bills I know had him on thier short list And the reciever from Clemson. I would grab the reciever if Mack is gone and trade Stevie Wonder/Johnson. They may get a good pick for him.I wonder if Kelly and Trump can pull off a purchase?

Well how can it be bad if Costner is in it? He is great.

One word: "Waterworld". Here's a couple more..."The Postman". Dreadful movies.

I really don't like what the Raidets did with Pryor. Only a 7th round pick for him? Pryor has some talent and he could be great for Seattle. I cannot think of many 7th rounders that stick in the NFL, so we basically traded away Pryor for nothing in return.

The 2014 schedules have been released; the season kicks off with the World Champs at home vs. Green Bay:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/week/1

The Dolphins schedule looks pretty formidable at first glance; open the season against Brady & Belichik, outside of the division we have to play the Chiefs, Packers, Bears, Lions, Chargers, Ravens, Broncos. Another long year in Dolphin land I'm afraid...

The 2014 schedules have been released; the season kicks off with the World Champs at home vs. Green Bay:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/week/1

The Dolphins schedule looks pretty formidable at first glance; open the season against Brady & Belichik, outside of the division we have to play the Chiefs, Packers, Bears, Lions, Chargers, Ravens, Broncos. Another long year in Dolphin land I'm afraid...

I cannot keep up with all this going on. NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL. But thanks. I must see Buffalo's schedule

Damn. We open in Chicago. Very strange

It seems that Donald Trump and maybe Jim Kelly are front runners at this point? I mean, Kelly could only be a part owner. I do not know if Trump would want to do that? He says he is very serious about buying the Bills. Well, we know he has the coin. I would expect something to happen fairly soon.

Bills snubbed again for Monday night. To hell with them. We have one prime time game on NFL nework on November 13th at Miami. I love our schedule. If we get decent play from the QB position, I believe we end the playoff drought. Very good chance of that from the schedule I see. You look at the Giants at the Lions as the first Monday night game. Now I do not feel that either of those teams are better than us or will be as good as us.

Just wonder why he wants to own the Bills? Being a Boston guy?

So what's the scuttle on Bon Jovi wanting in on this? He's pals with big money dude in Toronto?

Clue us in. Is this bs?

Members of one of the Buffalo area's wealthiest and most influential families are deeply engaged in discussions about the future of the Buffalo Bills, but a key member would not say whether they would make an offer for the team. Jeremy M. Jacobs Jr., a principal with Delaware North Cos., the hospitality giant owned by his family and run by his father, did confirm that his family is involved behind the scenes in the effort to help keep the team in Western New York.

:rolleyes::smack::googleit:

So what's the scuttle on Bon Jovi wanting in on this? He's pals with big money dude in Toronto?

Clue us in. Is this bs?

BS as far as I know. Toronto failed miserably when we played there. To me they proved they do not deserve a franchise. I do not care we were not Super Bowl contenders. We will be. You have to support your team through hard times as well.

Members of one of the Buffalo area's wealthiest and most influential families are deeply engaged in discussions about the future of the Buffalo Bills, but a key member would not say whether they would make an offer for the team. Jeremy M. Jacobs Jr., a principal with Delaware North Cos., the hospitality giant owned by his family and run by his father, did confirm that his family is involved behind the scenes in the effort to help keep the team in Western New York.

:rolleyes::smack::googleit:

A very great gesture. But why does he want to buy the team I wonder if he has no ties? I mean, is he from Buffalo? Is he a fan?

Shocking that nobody has mentioned this...especially you, Paul, being the Dolphin fan you are and how you're usually first with the latest news.

A moment of silence, please, for one of the Golden Greats. For Earl Morrall has gone on to that big gridiron in the sky, having passed away earlier today.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/sports/football/earl-morrall-backup-quarterback-in-dolphins-perfect-season-dies-at-79.html?_r=0&referrer=

A true throwback player...at a time in the late-60s and 70s when most players were growing their hair long and cultivating outlandish mustaches and beards, Earl Morrall still rocked a clean-cut crew cut. When I think of players with incredible longevity who played far beyond what most people considered conceivable for football players, Earl Morrall is second only to George Blanda in my memory.

And while he spent many years with the Detroit Lions and took the Baltimore Colts to two Super Bowls, winning one (against Dallas in 1971) and crushingly losing another (the monumental upset loss to the upstart NY Jets in 1969), to me Earl Morrall will always be a Miami Dolphin...#15.

That is my most vivid memory of Earl Morrall...backing up Bob Griese on those great Dolphin teams from 1972 to 1977. As amazing an achievement the Dolphins perfect season of 1972 was, it was even more amazing considering the Dolphins lost their starting QB in the fifth game of the season against San Diego. Imagine if New England had lost Tom Brady in game 5 of their undefeated season?

When Bob Griese went down, in came Earl Morrall to lead the Dolphins to victory #5. He would start and win the next 9 games as the Dolphins would finish the regular season 14-0. Earl Morrall also was the QB in the Dolphins first playoff game, beating Cleveland. It was only when he faltered against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game the next week that Coach Shula finally brought back Bob Griese, with Griese leading them to the Super Bowl by beating the Steelers.

Much conjecture followed about who Shula would start for the Super Bowl, but as much as Shula loved Morrall, it seemed obvious that it would be Griese who got the start. You had to feel for Morrall though, as much as he helped the Dolphins to their perfect season. But, like a TRUE PROFESSIONAL, he never complained about not getting the Super Bowl start.

Rick, as a Bills fan, I'm sure you're aware that Morrall oversaw the development of a young Jim Kelly while he was Quarterback Coach at University of Miami.

A pro's pro and a class act. Rest in peace #15, Earl Morrall.

I really didn't know much about him, other than he played for the Colts and won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl. It has surprised me that that info is buried in the middle of all of the obits.

Because it's really all about the Baltimore Colts...

RIP Earl

Archived