2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

Shocking that nobody has mentioned this...especially you, Paul, being the Dolphin fan you are and how you're usually first with the latest news.

A moment of silence, please, for one of the Golden Greats. For Earl Morrall has gone on to that big gridiron in the sky, having passed away earlier today.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/sports/football/earl-morrall-backup-quarterback-in-dolphins-perfect-season-dies-at-79.html?_r=0&referrer=

A true throwback player...at a time in the late-60s and 70s when most players were growing their hair long and cultivating outlandish mustaches and beards, Earl Morrall still rocked a clean-cut crew cut. When I think of players with incredible longevity who played far beyond what most people considered conceivable for football players, Earl Morrall is second only to George Blanda in my memory.

And while he spent many years with the Detroit Lions and took the Baltimore Colts to two Super Bowls, winning one (against Dallas in 1971) and crushingly losing another (the monumental upset loss to the upstart NY Jets in 1969), to me Earl Morrall will always be a Miami Dolphin...#15.

That is my most vivid memory of Earl Morrall...backing up Bob Griese on those great Dolphin teams from 1972 to 1977. As amazing an achievement the Dolphins perfect season of 1972 was, it was even more amazing considering the Dolphins lost their starting QB in the fifth game of the season against San Diego. Imagine if New England had lost Tom Brady in game 5 of their undefeated season?

When Bob Griese went down, in came Earl Morrall to lead the Dolphins to victory #5. He would start and win the next 9 games as the Dolphins would finish the regular season 14-0. Earl Morrall also was the QB in the Dolphins first playoff game, beating Cleveland. It was only when he faltered against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game the next week that Coach Shula finally brought back Bob Griese, with Griese leading them to the Super Bowl by beating the Steelers.

Much conjecture followed about who Shula would start for the Super Bowl, but as much as Shula loved Morrall, it seemed obvious that it would be Griese who got the start. You had to feel for Morrall though, as much as he helped the Dolphins to their perfect season. But, like a TRUE PROFESSIONAL, he never complained about not getting the Super Bowl start.

Rick, as a Bills fan, I'm sure you're aware that Morrall oversaw the development of a young Jim Kelly while he was Quarterback Coach at University of Miami.

A pro's pro and a class act. Rest in peace #15, Earl Morrall.

Wow. Cannot believe Earl is gone. He took over for Johnny Unitas during the 1968/69 season when the mighty Colts went 13-1 and the only loss to Cleveland was avenged in Cleveland in the NFL title game 34-0. I may still have the SI article saying "Colts whitewash Browns 34-0". Of course they lost the Super Bowl in the greatest upset in Sports history in my opinion to the Jets and Namath. Earl would use the true flea flicker like no other. A lateral to Tom Matte and back to Morral and a bomb downfield for a TD. You could have a tea party in the backfield. They had Willie Richardson, Tom Matte, and the had Mike Curtis on D, one of the best linebackers ever, that would win Super Bowl V. Great great man Earl Morrall.

jabe, my take is that he will be long gone before the Cowboys make their first pick. Of course, Jerrah being Jerrah, Jones might make a play for him IF he were to slip down to 10th or so.....with my blessing, btw. Romo is coming off his 2nd back surgery and is 34 and a headcase to boot. I still don't think he will be around long enough.

This should be a very interesting first round, next week!

jabe, my take is that he will be long gone before the Cowboys make their first pick. Of course, Jerrah being Jerrah, Jones might make a play for him IF he were to slip down to 10th or so.....with my blessing, btw. Romo is coming off his 2nd back surgery and is 34 and a headcase to boot. I still don't think he will be around long enough.

This should be a very interesting first round, next week!

Most think he will go to Cleveland. And the other QB to Houston at number one? But then speculation about Mack? I hope the Bills get either Mack or the Clemson reciever

Will be interesting to see what the Patriots do. Many rumors of them looking at some of the QBs available (Brady is getting up there in years). Realistically, I expect they will pick a defensive player in the first round, unless BB trades down.

Well Cleveland and the Rams have gone on record saying they will not take Manziel. I wonder what the Bills will do it one of the big 3 are left? I mean QB's. I think Watkins and Mack will be gone. But they could trade up with the Rams?

Everyone seems to be backing away from Manziel and Clowney. Hmmm. :Thinking:

Manziel for "off the field issues". The Bills have already gone on record they will not take a QB. So that indicates they believe in Manuel going forward. A friend of mine is totally against this. I wish they could draft one of the top 3 to compete but we do not technically have an owner during this draft. Money could be an issue. Mack I say will be gone and if not, we take him in a heartbeat. Same with Watkins. Lots of mystery in this draft. The Rams are sittiing pretty. They are a team that would likely do business and take another first rounder for a trade up. We find out tonight. I know that Buffalo has alot of the pieces in place to take a big step this year.

Houston is now saying they will not trade the number one pick. But there is speculation the Rams, or Oakland or Jacksonville might do business? The Bills may be interested in trading up to get Clowney or Sammy Watkins. If they ever wound up with Watkins they would then be overloaded at that position and I feel Stevie Johnson would be traded. Where will Manziel wind up? Should be interesting.

Johnny Football is exciting to watch, but I wonder if he can take an NFL pounding for 16 games. (not that an SEC pounding isn't bad enough)

NFL teams might try to calm his style a bit, and he seems to like to do things his way. Should be interesting.

Hope my homer AJ McCarron gets a decent shot with a half ass team.

Bill Polian just predicted what I predicted two months ago. The Buffalo Bills will trade up with the St Louis Rams and use the 2nd pick to take Mack the linebacker from Buffalo college I believe more that they will trade up with the Rams than they will pick Mack?

Bill Polian just predicted what I predicted two months ago. The Buffalo Bills will trade up with the St Louis Rams and use the 2nd pick to take Mack the linebacker from Buffalo college I believe more that they will trade up with the Rams than they will pick Mack?

WITH THE FIFTH PICK OF THE DRAFT THE RAIDERS SELECT KHALIL MACK OF BUFFALO!!!

Easily the best Raiders pick since Woodson. Rick must be sick the Bills didn't get him.

Now on to the real important matter: Who will be Mr. Irrelevant?

WITH THE FIFTH PICK OF THE DRAFT THE RAIDERS SELECT KHALIL MACK OF BUFFALO!!!

Easily the best Raiders pick since Woodson. Rick must be sick the Bills didn't get him.

Now on to the real important matter: Who will be Mr. Irrelevant?

No. I was dead even between him and Watkins. We got the best reciever in the draft. Berman is funny. Said Cleveland made more moves than Costner in Draft Day

Pretty interesting first night.

Houston ignores their QB issue (though they can fix it tonight pretty easily).

Cleveland gets Johnny Football. I wish JM luck, that team needs some serious focusing, from the top down.

Patriots take a chance on a kid who blew out both ACLs in college, maybe the contract will have a "health dependent clause".

I haven't been paying much attention, so I'm not sure how the community here in Jacksonville feels about Blake Bortles. I know Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith were giving the Jags a little bit of hell this morning for taking Blake over "Johnny Football."

And I think I also heard that the Jags are not planning to start Blake; Chad Henne will be the #1 QB when the season starts. I'm not sure that's the right move for the Jacksonville franchise, but anybody should be an improvement over Blaine Gabbert...

^^ I saw a few "football analysts" saying Bortles was a better pick than Manziel BEFORE the draft.

I think they are going to let Henne and Bortles compete, but I expect Henne to open the season, and Bortles to take over before the season ends.

Josh Gordon looks like he'll be suspended for 1 year, for failing another drug test...

Cowboys give up their 3-round pick and exchange 2nd round picks with Washington to get Demarcus Lawrence DE of Boise St. They need more pash rush, but giving up a 3rd round pick is tough!

Johnny Football is exciting to watch, but I wonder if he can take an NFL pounding for 16 games. (not that an SEC pounding isn't bad enough)

NFL teams might try to calm his style a bit, and he seems to like to do things his way. Should be interesting.

Hope my homer AJ McCarron gets a decent shot with a half ass team.

Jabe, AJ McCarron is still available! Knew he wouldn't go in first round but didn't think he would last this long. Oh well, at least he isn't going to that sinkhole in Cleveland.

Poor Johnny Football. "Welcome to Cleveland...oh by the way, one of our players will be suspended for the year for failing another drug test." Bwahaha!

I like what the Raiders have done so far. Getting that Fresno St. QB really helps. Rick's Bills have added another running back, getting Bryce Brown in one of those complicated trades with the Eagles involving conditional picks.

I have no idea what Jacksonville is doing. Another dismal year for them.

Archived