2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

First of all this is from my phone so forgive the sloppiness. The balls were cleared by the refs before the game started... So either 1) the official ball inspectors cleared them by feel and not with an air gage, got caught with their pants down and are too embarrassed to admit it.or 2) the near torrential downpour put them below the 12.5 psi min.. Or 3) somebody altered them eithet on the sidelines... or they were smuggled back into the locker room in front of a packed Gillette Stadium. Option number one makes the most sense to me.. The officials changed a ball over in the 3rd period after all the balls were re-inflated. So what was the problem then? I think they were filled to 12.5 were not checked with a gage and fell below the minimum. A mistake. But certainly not the sneaky criminal act that everybody from Ellen to Rosie are jumping on the bandwagon about.. Coach Belichick was great, emotional and a confident leader during yesterdays press conference. The NFL should be embarrassed by the lousy job they've done on this so far. Present the evidence... or drop it. If a ballboy comes forward and says Tom Brady told them to go deflate the balls after they were checked and approved.. I will never route for him

again... but I don't see it happening..

The balls were cleared by the officials two hours before the game, were then bagged and left on the team's sideline, unguarded. Just for the record.

unguarded. OK. I don't buy it. There were cameras rolling in that stadium all day. Whatever, if they altered them, it will come out and I believe would have come out by now. Someone would have admitted it. If anything, this mess will change things. Teams balls will be kept under lock and key... NBA players don't get to pick their own balls... I'll leave it at that.. :)

Please, Pro Bowl, go back to the old format.

I think it's ridiculous having all the players mixed up on both sides.

Get off the fantasy trip.

Hear hear. Not that I pay attention to the Pro Bowl anyway, but this latest idea is right up there with Bud Selig's intrusive machinations on the All-Star game for stupidity. Bollocks.

Maybe Wes could join the Bills and they could be a combined 0-7?!? Is this great defense you speak of the same that gave up 31 to the Ravens two weeks ago? Don't gauge them on the Colts game, remember my Cowboys D only gave up 7 to them also.

I'm not saying New England's defense is on a par with Seattle's; just that it's better than it was in that Super Bowl against the Giants.

I still can't get a read on how this Super Bowl will play out. Or even who I want to root for...if I cheer for Seattle I piss off my girlfriend, if I cheer for New England I go against my mom, brother-in-law and co-worker friend.

I do know one thing. Indianapolis better hope they don't have to play New England next season. If they do, the Patriots will score 60 or more points...they will be out to destroy and humiliate the Colts in every way.

First of all this is from my phone so forgive the sloppiness. The balls were cleared by the refs before the game started... So either 1) the official ball inspectors cleared them by feel and not with an air gage, got caught with their pants down and are too embarrassed to admit it.or 2) the near torrential downpour put them below the 12.5 psi min.. Or 3) somebody altered them eithet on the sidelines... or they were smuggled back into the locker room in front of a packed Gillette Stadium. Option number one makes the most sense to me.. The officials changed a ball over in the 3rd period after all the balls were re-inflated. So what was the problem then? I think they were filled to 12.5 were not checked with a gage and fell below the minimum. A mistake. But certainly not the sneaky criminal act that everybody from Ellen to Rosie are jumping on the bandwagon about.. Coach Belichick was great, emotional and a confident leader during yesterdays press conference. The NFL should be embarrassed by the lousy job they've done on this so far. Present the evidence... or drop it. If a ballboy comes forward and says Tom Brady told them to go deflate the balls after they were checked and approved.. I will never route for him

again... but I don't see it happening..

We know you are a Pats fan first of all. And only their success in this decade likely prevented you from becoming another wagon jumper, perhaps on the Cowboys or 49ers? I do believe Belechick is innocent in this. But Brady did in fact lie. He was caught in the middle and he really had no choice but to lie. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't basically. He had to know at some point the balls felt off. But he likely felt he would sound stupid by bringing it up. And once it all came to light, how could he admit to knowing? He had to have lied but I would have done the same thing. The only big question now remains, what will the NFL do about it. Likely a fine and a loss of a draft pick. Which is no real big deal. If it is harsher I would be surprised. It does not help when a respected guy like Troy Aikman says its worse than Bounty Gate. I strongly disagree with Troy, who I like.

To correct myself I meant this century and not decade

Edited by LedZeppfan77

We know you are a Pats fan first of all. And only their success in this decade likely prevented you from becoming another wagon jumper, perhaps on the Cowboys or 49ers? I do believe Belechick is innocent in this. But Brady did in fact lie. He was caught in the middle and he really had no choice but to lie. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't basically. He had to know at some point the balls felt off. But he likely felt he would sound stupid by bringing it up. And once it all came to light, how could he admit to knowing? He had to have lied but I would have done the same thing. The only big question now remains, what will the NFL do about it. Likely a fine and a loss of a draft pick. Which is no real big deal. If it is harsher I would be surprised. It does not help when a respected guy like Troy Aikman says its worse than Bounty Gate. I strongly disagree with Troy, who I like.

To correct myself I meant this century and not decade

Rick, I'm pleasantly surprised you believe Belichick. I also believe Brady.

He was asked point blank if he told anyone to alter the footballs after they were inspected and he said flat out "no". I believe him..

As far as me being a bandwagon jumper. That's a pretty big leap on your part from a few posts.. and way off the mark.

I am admittedly more of a casual sports fan than you are.. Your sports knowledge is obvious.

But your hatred of certain teams imo clouds your judgement.. Example you took the Colts over New England..

I route for 5 teams in pro Sports and they all either have a Boston or New England in front of their name.. pretty simple.

It's the way i was brought up.. I don't get a person from Boston being a Yankees or Lakers fan.... Makes no sense to me at all..

I respect a real good, classy team like The Spurs but would never route for them against the Celtics.

^^^ Don't piss off your girlfriend! :D

Anjin-san is correct.

To borrow from the Corleone playbook:

Keep your family and friends close, keep your girlfriend closer.

Excellent advice, guys. Thanks...I'll consider that when I make my pick.

Maybe I can cheer for Seattle in the first half and New England in the second? Hehe.

They do not love this kind of drama one bit. Stick to topics you excel at. I have always admired your posts. But this one is not spot on. They are sick over this

I'm mixed about this. The NFL could be (probably is) milking this for all its worth and grooving on the additional exposure, conspiricy, etc.

I believe SteveAJones is spot on about the ratings. I'll wager they will be through the roof.

Flaccid balls did not lead to this unorgasmic game.

Two weeks is too long between the Championships and the Super Bowl. Dull time.

A little controversey, this spark, is making kick-off seem closer and the energy level elevated.

Now to plan the menu...

I maintain the Super Bowl should be a Saturday night game. Bigger parties, no work the next day, and more younger kids can watch the whole game without it being a school night (not that it matters to many parents). As far as ratings, of course they'll be the highest. Two marquee teams in the match up and the sport has never been more popular than it is now. Especially with all the gambling, fantasy football challenges, and for those into it - the commercials and don't forget Katy Perry with her revealing outfits...