Been hearing alot of Zepp songs in commercials and movies

LedZeppfan77

I have heard a few too,thought they were not going to let their songs be used for that?

Thankfully, they've relaxed somewhat in that department. Of course, when Argo was out, the price they (allegedly) had to pay for Zeppelin was a six-figure number.

• 2 weeks later...

Especially since the Kennedy Center hoopla...the band's name is more and more household now. Zep is now legit musical history, like the Beatles and Elvis. It was HARD for hollywood to get a Zeppelin song on a movie score for the LONGEST time...that was Jimmys doing; Keeping the music pure, as far away from mainstream pop culture as possible. Fast Times was probably the first movie to use a Zep tune and reference them in the dialouge. Of course it is Cameron Crowes film...

Silver Pocket Linings uses What Is and What Should Never Be in a fine way if you have not seen this flick!

The Office tv sitcom referenced the band in an episode..something about "getting trashed and listening to Zeppelin in a van"!

• 2 weeks later...

If memory serves, wasn't Almost Famous the first film that Zep allowed one of their songs to be used? Again, Cam Crowe.

As strutter806 said here, it was "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", which was released back in 1982 and Kashmir was used in the film.

Immediately What is and What Should Never Be in Silver Linings Playbook came to mind. What a powerful scene. I was so pleasantly surprised by one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs but the scene was so intense and hard to watch at the same time. It was a perfect song for the scene - the song's "light and shade" vs. bi-polar disorder's mania and depression. It was so emotional for me that I actually cried watching it in the theater.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a Game of Thrones new season trailer (I don't watch the show-bullshit).

In the trailer (on Sky) was a cover of Immigrant song.

Didn't recognise the music but the lyrics were dead on.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the movies but I hope they don't start selling out to too many commercials--they can afford to be choosy.

But if hearing the songs out and about interests a new generation of listeners, then I guess it's for the best. Most young people don't listen to album oriented radio anymore.

• 1 month later...

Immediately What is and What Should Never Be in Silver Linings Playbook came to mind. What a powerful scene. I was so pleasantly surprised by one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs but the scene was so intense and hard to watch at the same time. It was a perfect song for the scene - the song's "light and shade" vs. bi-polar disorder's mania and depression. It was so emotional for me that I actually cried watching it in the theater.

I was just watching the movie and heard this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlk8DhHYDNw

Richard Linklater had a "tenacious" history with Led Zep's management back to when he made "Dazed and Confused" and almost got the rights to use "Rock and Roll" but was rejected. He complained about the management for years, and when he wanted to use Led Zeppelin on "School of Rock" he decided to see if Jack would have any success.

According to Linklater, "when I was completing negotiations somebody from their team said, 'Tell Rick the asshole from the management company let him have the song.' "(SXSW Film Festival)

If memory serves, wasn't Almost Famous the first film that Zep allowed one of their songs to be used? Again, Cam Crowe.

Nope. Maybe the first popular movie, but the first film to use Led Zeppelin was a 1970 film called "Homer". I have never seen it...never. And I've seen just about everything. But I have the original soundtrack album...you can still find them around for $10 or so in record shops.

It has Led Zeppelin's "How Many More Times"...along with The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Cream, and others. A fairly ambitious soundtrack for such a low-budget movie.

post-1470-0-71022400-1400256319_thumb.jp

I don't mind the movies but I hope they don't start selling out to too many commercials--they can afford to be choosy.

And they - Jones, Plant & Page - can afford NOT to tour!

Sometimes I believe I'm the only one that is glad they're not ever going to "reform" - to me, that takes four certain individuals, and unfortunately, the fourth past away in 1980.

Archived