Plant was disingenuous in '75

bluesunday

The biggest disappointment with the '75 tour of the U.S. was paucity of material from the first three albums. Plan said the band would offer some color from the entire 6.5 year career of Zep and yet we barely get any songs from the first three albums. The first eight songs of every concert begin with tunes starting from Led Zep 4, back into PG, then back in 3 and basically stays there until WLL and the very end where if we're lucky we get HB or CB.

This isn't retrospective at all. We got essentially nothing from Zep 1,2 and 3. Oh yeah, toss in the MB from Zep 2 but that's a drum solo, less a song.

Bummer.

You're forgetting that 30+ minutes of each concert consists of Dazed and Confused, once they reach the point where Page can play the setlist they originally intended, anyway (February-On). That's huge chunk of the concert dedicated to first album material, right there. Besides, as long as they played at least one song from each album (which they did), then it technically IS a retrospective, albeit not necessarily a thorough one.

The biggest disappointment with the '75 tour of the U.S. was paucity of material from the first three albums. Plan said the band would offer some color from the entire 6.5 year career of Zep and yet we barely get any songs from the first three albums. The first eight songs of every concert begin with tunes starting from Led Zep 4, back into PG, then back in 3 and basically stays there until WLL and the very end where if we're lucky we get HB or CB.

This isn't retrospective at all. We got essentially nothing from Zep 1,2 and 3. Oh yeah, toss in the MB from Zep 2 but that's a drum solo, less a song.

Bummer.

In other words, what Plant said was correct. Besides that, they had already played material from the first three albums for more than five years. If they'd continued to include much of that material undoubtedly someone would find the .com forum to post a complaint about it.

In other words, what Plant said was correct. Besides that, they had already played material from the first three albums for more than five years. If they'd continued to include much of that material undoubtedly someone would find the .com forum to post a complaint about it.

:notworthy:

What a load of rubbish.

Robert Plant never promised you a rose garden. All he said was that they would give you a little taste, a little colour, of all their material in the six and a half years as a band. With at least one song played from each album, they did that. It's only natural that they would want to accent the most recent albums, PG and HotH.

The first album was represented by How Many More Times in the early dates and then Dazed and Confused. That's 15 to 40 minutes of set time right there and a lot of twists and turns. Throw in Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love, Moby Dick, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, That's the Way, Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp, Tangerine, Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Going to California, and Stairway to Heaven, and you have a sizable chunk of songs from the first three years.

• 1 month later...

Plant said he would give us a big scoop of Led Zeppelin, a little chocolate, a little vanilla, a little color...

We should be so lucky he even came out of his dressing room instead of partying backstage all day and every day!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder who actually made the set lists?

I wonder if they actually wrote down a setlist on paper? Unlike many concerts where you see the roadies tape setlists on the stage monitors or in front of the guitarist's effects box or next to the drummer (and hopefully get the roadie to hand you the setlist after the show), I never saw setlists on Led Zeppelin's stage. I saw them only from 1972-77, so maybe in the early days they would use physical setlists actually written down on paper? Maybe some oldtimer can fill us in?

• 9 months later...

Even now Robert and the SSS don't vary set lists very much. I find that very confusing and disappointing considering Robert's

enormous backlog of music. Zeppelin, solo, and duets - you would think that Robert would have a different set list every other

night.

The same with Zeppelin's 1977 Tour of America. Very similar set list night after night. You would think they would have, and

maybe might have, gotten bored.

I reported this topic ,case closed,give it a break ,or get some smoke or something .I am in total shock of what I am reading on this forum in general

Then quit the site if you don't like it, Ray...in case you haven't noticed we're not just a bunch of drooooooling fanboys and girls who think that every note, breath and burp outta this band was gold. Objectivity is the name of the game here. I saw yer posts going after that guy in the "Who ripped off Zeppelin?" discussion and I think you need to learn a thing or two about tact and diplomacy if you plan on posting here. Just sayin'...

Now, as to the topic at hand:

I think people are forgetting that '75 was the Physical Graffitti tour...Plant might have talked about it being like a career overview -which it was, as others have pointed out in this discussion, it's not like the early albums were completely ignored- but the bottom line was they had a new album to support, one they were justifiably proud of, and that material was what was gonna get the priority.

I reported this topic ,case closed,give it a break ,or get some smoke or something .I am in total shock of what I am reading on this forum in general

You reported a thread that has been dead for nearly a year? You seem to be one tightly-wound dude. Relax a little.

• 2 weeks later...

He was a lot funnier with his plantations than any other year if ya ask me

love snow jobs but not the most politically correct banter between songs that has ever been recorded. If you played that one back to him now I bet he would cringe.

That aside, I agree his banter in 75 was great and high as a kite or not it is probably a factor in why I am listening to my 75 shows at the moment.

love snow jobs but not the most politically correct banter between songs that has ever been recorded. If you played that one back to him now I bet he would cringe.

Hell, I cringe when I listen to 3-19-75...I was shocked the first time I heard Plant's "Lick yer pussy, yeah!" outburst in IMTOD because that kinda talk seems so out of character for him.

Hell, I cringe when I listen to 3-19-75...I was shocked the first time I heard Plant's "Lick yer pussy, yeah!" outburst in IMTOD because that kinda talk seems so out of character for him.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Archived