Jeff Beck talks about possible work with Jimmy Page

Andrzej

Beck also said he's not opposed to the idea of touring with old friend Jimmy Page; they last teamed up at the 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony for mindblowingly heavy instrumental takes of Immigrant Song, and Train Kept a Rollin. If you could talk Jimmy into appearing somewhere," Beck says with a laugh. "He appears at the most unlikely events and then disappears again. Hes a dark horse, theres no doubt. Hes got a completely private side to him as I have. But we have such a great laugh when were together and if he ever comes up for grabs, then itd make a good package. But one wonders what hed play. What would he play? I dont know. Hed have to have the music sorted out and then wed work."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jeff-beck-readying-very-important-album-20140220

Jimmy should sell his guitars.

If he doesn't want to make guitar music (which is not in fashion today anyway), why doesn't he just try to create synthesizer music such as soundtracks for movies or TV? Avant Garde stuff suits him well, Jimmy is NOT a pop artist.

If he doesn't want to make guitar music (which is not in fashion today anyway), why doesn't he just try to create synthesizer music such as soundtracks for movies or TV? Avant Garde stuff suits him well, Jimmy is NOT a pop artist.

Perhaps look at it this way: Jimmy will always be eternally young in our eyes, but ask yourself what you will be doing when you are 70. If I am fortunate enough to be alive at the age of 70, I can guarantee that I will be looking back on my accomplishments, and honoring my past in any way that I can, but first and foremost, I will be taking a well deserved rest and enjoying my life, and the fruits of my labor. Jimmy derives more fun from keeping the Zeppelin legacy alive, and collecting records, than he does from having to work at making music and then touring in support of it. 70 is the time of life where most people relax and smell the roses. I am confident in saying that this has become a priority for Jimmy. I think that one of the only things that could shake Jimmy from his slumber is a bona fide new Zeppelin project, and as we know, that is highly improbable. Jimmy has earned a peaceful semi-retirement, but he still pokes around here and there to keep himself entertained, and to honor his past works. We need to grow comfortable with that, as our priorities for Jimmy are different from Jimmy's priorities for Jimmy. Bless him. I am glad to see him enjoying his life.

I think it's because it has been SO long since he put out anything solo, that if he actually did release an album, even a group thing with rp and/or jpp, if it wasn't the most amazing, stupendous, set the world a-buzz record, he would be bagged forever for it.

So he does nothing, and we remember him for Zeppelin.

I agree.... I started posting the exact same comment and realized it looked very familiar.

That would be incredible! If anyone (except the obvious) could pull Jimmy out to do some shows, it'd be Beck. Their set at the HOF in '09 was awesome, IMO.

They have been friends for so long and know each other so well, it would be perfect for Jimmy. There love was each other was so lovely and obvious and the Rock Hall induction. Only David Coverdale or Roy Harper could see to the real Jimmy besides Jeff.

I don't really see it happening, and this is why: Jeff can be a pretty volatile personality, and he and Jimmy have had their years where they had their differences. Now, they seem to have put that all behind them, and are good friends; to work together, would potentially jeopardize that when the two type A personalities come together and each want their way. It has been about 48 years since they were in a band together, or did any meaningful work together, and I'd be surprised if they suddenly woke up, and decided to do it now. Page has said for a long time that he would like to make an album with a revolving door of various artiists, and I suspect that this was thrown at Jeff as a scenario to comment on, and thus the quote that "he'd (Page) have to have the music sorted out, and then we'd work". I doubt it is something that either of them have been contemplating seriously, but then again, anything's possible, and I hope to be wrong.

I would love to see this happen, two great talents on stage. I hope Jimmy does something soon but if he never does a thing again, so be it. I tend to look at this such:

Some artists ascend to a medium level and stay there, producing music for decades. Others reach into the stratosphere, true musical savants and then either burn out or simply call it a day. I put Jimmy in that latter category, he has put out one of the most amazing and consistent bodies of work over his lifetime, one of his albums is worth 1,000 of most other artists (I am including all his contributions here, not just solo material) so in this light all I can say is thank you Mr. Page for everything. If you release new music, fabulous, if not you have achieved the level of a Mozart, Bach, Bizet, or Springsteen in regards to music.

Now get on the damn stage before you need a walker!!! :beat:

Most people have retired by the time they turn 70. As much as we'd like to see it, Jimmy is probably semi retired for the most part. We, I guess are optimists and hoping to see he does something and release a solo album and get up on stage and tour. It may happen, but probably just here and there as he just seems to make a guest appearance once in a while.

Unless, you're talking about Led Zeppelin, he doesn't seem to have the initiative to get involved with anything new. Pretty much spends his time musically with Zep related stuff like the box sets etc. I'm betting, we'll be blown away by these, considering Jimmy seems to go all out with the Led Zeppelin archival releases!

Who knows, but anything I see from him will just be small projects, if they happen. He said he'll be releasing some solo stuff from the archives this year. Could be interesting, but would like him to do some dates to support this and get back out there on tour at least in a limited amount. I could see him doing this in the major cities for a bit. depending what he releases. It would be a good thing! Not betting on it at this point, but.... It's been too long! Give it to us Jimmy...You know we want it!

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if a buzz has been created by JB's interview but the fact of the matter is tickets for his show at the RAH have been selling pretty quickly. Before talking about the possibility of working with Jimmy seating was pretty much available anywhere in the Hall except for Arena seats. I'm glad I've got my ticket albeit a box seat.

I can't wait it's going to be my first ever JB gig!

I envy you. Ive seen Jeff twice and both times at collaborations or gatherings with other artists involved. The last being RNR HOF gathering at MSG in NYC in October, 2010 and the first was in December, 1983 at the same venue for Ronnie Lane's A.R.M.S. concerts along with Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page's first U.S. show since Zeppelin in 1977. The response Jimmy got was deafening from the crowd as I remember! That's why he went after Clapton and Beck, obviously!

Archived