Welcome ALL racing fans! :yourock:

Daytona Duels are happening tonight. A new season is upon us! Let all racers and fans alike join in and share the love we have for the speed, the personalities, and the multi-sensory intoxication that is attending a racing event.

Forum members....START YOUR ENGINES!!!

:yesnod:

Walter, I was at Talladega on business, 2/5. in a private corporate suite being updated.

Trevor Bayne"s team and another team(not sure who) were at the track for Daytona tweaking.

I was there for 2-3 hours and it had rained the night before, so I didn't witness actual testing. Before I left, one of the jet driers was slowly circling the track counter-clockwise.

If you're familiar with Talladega, the backstretch grandstand has been demolished to make room for motor homes.

The ends of the main grandstand have lost some seats as well. I was told they want to sit around 85- 90 K.

I took some photos on my smart phone, and if you're interested, I'll see if my wife will post a couple.

(You know "racing" is kinda low key on the forum...)

I would love to see it. They are doing something similar to that at Daytona. They are double-decking the entire frontstretch and taking the backstretch grandstand/press box and sending it to Phoenix as their new frontstretch grandstand. The plan is to make Daytona like the modern arenas being built, with escalators, new suites, etc. It's a 2-year plan.

As far as the forum's interest in racing, that's why I wanted to open it up to everybody. There are a number of F-1 fans and some drag racing fans, etc. here - so let's combine everyone and do some discussing.

My driver, Harvick just lost by .06 seconds to Kenseth in the 1st duel - sucks!

As far as Bayne's team, my wife hung out with him during the duels the year he won the 500. Our family is close friends with Leonard Wood. We were hanging with him in the garage last Saturday, before the shootout. What a genius he still is.

What does everyone think about the return of the #3?

^ Yep, congratulations to Dale Earnhardt, Jr. for winning his 2nd Daytona 500 last night. He pretty much dominated the 2nd half of the race, which is impressive at a restrictor-plate track. He and his crew chief are in their last season together as Steve Letarte is heading into the announcers booth next season when NBC begins covering NASCAR events again.

Great job Junior, I'm sure your dad is smiling down on you today as you begin your media whirlwind tour! :)

We watched 'RUSH' last night. That's a story I never knew about. And I'm so glad that Ron Howard didn't kill the color in the movie like most of the dead looking movies these days from Hollywood.

Kasey Kahne is our local boy here.

^ We watched it the morning of the 500 - GREAT movie! Well done, Ron Howard! :yesnod:

Congratulations to Stewart-Haas Motorsports, Rodney Childers, Kevin Harvick, and the rest of the #4 Budweiser/Jimmy Johns Chevrolet team for a great performance. Worthy of what Dale Earnhardt would call, "that was an ass-whoopin'". Win #1 of hopefully many to come for Kevin at Stewart-Haas! Great anniversary gift for Mr. and Mrs. Walter AND Mrs. Harvick as well!!! :)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Today we will see if Dale Jr. or KH will be able to "double-down" this early in the season @ the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. First 1.5 mile track of the season and should give a glimpse at who has this new car figured out. 1.5 mile tracks represent roughly 1/3 of the races for the NASCAR season.

As always...GO #4!!!

Next week Formula 1 will kick-off their season, down under, at the Australian Grand Prix. Will Vettel be able to win his 5th world championship in a row? I know there are a number of you F1 fans out there....:yesnod:

Next week Formula 1 will kick-off their season, down under, at the Australian Grand Prix. Will Vettel be able to win his 5th world championship in a row? I know there are a number of you F1 fans out there.... :yesnod:

After the winter tests Red Bull's situation doesn't look very good. Mercedes seems to be very strong. I'm of course hoping that Finnish drivers Räikkönen (Ferrari) and Bottas (Williams) will perform well. Especially Räikkönen vs Alonso in Ferrari will be very interesting.

Edited by marlam

I saw how strong Mercedes was, seems like it's time for a power change in F1. Over here in the states NBC's sport channel is carrying all the practices, qualifying, and races this season.

Roger Penske had a great weekend....both of his drivers started on the front row yesterday (for the 2nd week in a row), Brad Keselowski won the race, and Roger had his first hole-in-one in golf this weekend, playing in Florida! The hat trick of success! My father-in-law is pretty good friends with him and I've me and spoken with Mr. Penske a number of times - what a good guy he is. Not full of himself, and always remembers a name. Congrats to him! :)

As expected Lewis Hamilton took pole position in the Australian GP. Daniel Ricciardo in second and rookie Kevin Magnussen in fourth place were really positive surprises. Great job from them! It will be interesting to see how they perform tomorrow.

Back in the 80's we used to always go to the Fremont drags in California. One day Don Garlits and Shirley Muldowney were there and they called the race because of rain. That was probably the only time I would have seen those two on the same track. That was when the 1/4 mile record was around 260 mph or so.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!

:)

As expected Lewis Hamilton took pole position in the Australian GP. Daniel Ricciardo in second and rookie Kevin Magnussen in fourth place were really positive surprises. Great job from them! It will be interesting to see how they perform tomorrow.

Thanks for the reminder! Setting the dvr to tape it - 2 am our time here. Who do you root for, drivers or a certain manufacturer? Enjoy!

Hamilton is driving Mercedes?

Thanks for the reminder! Setting the dvr to tape it - 2 am our time here. Who do you root for, drivers or a certain manufacturer? Enjoy!

Hamilton is driving Mercedes?

If there's any Finnish drivers I usually root for them. This year we have two, 2007 world champion Kimi Räikkönen and Valtteri Bottas.

Yes, Hamilton is driving Mercedes.

Fun race today! That start was insane! I root for Raikkonen also, he had his hands full today! I didn't realize that Nikki Lauda was still involved in Mercedes' engineering. Tough luck for Hamilton.

Bristol currently in rain delay....

• 3 weeks later...

Very good qualifying in Bahrain from Finnish point of view: Bottas 3rd and Räikkönen 5th. Mercedes continues to dominate with Nico Rosberg (whos' father is the Finnish F1 champion Keke Rosberg) on the pole and Hamilton 2nd.

Yes, I just caught up on my F1 races yesterday. I'm enjoying the season so far, marlam!

The cup race from Texas was rained out yesterday - that makes 4 of the first 7 delayed or postponed due to rain....they will race today at noon, et.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my boy Harvick won again last weekend, completing his winning of all 4 of the crown jewels of NASCAR (Daytona 500, Coke 600 - Charlotte, Brickyard 400 - Indy, and Southern 500 - Darlington). He is now locked into the playoffs for September with his 2nd win of the season!!! Now he just needs a Cup Championship to be a lock for the Hall of Fame of NASCAR. Love it!

Is there an F1 race this weekend, marlam? NASCAR has its first off weekend, as it traditionally does, for the Easter holiday.

Well, my boy Harvick won again last weekend, completing his winning of all 4 of the crown jewels of NASCAR (Daytona 500, Coke 600 - Charlotte, Brickyard 400 - Indy, and Southern 500 - Darlington). He is now locked into the playoffs for September with his 2nd win of the season!!! Now he just needs a Cup Championship to be a lock for the Hall of Fame of NASCAR. Love it!

Is there an F1 race this weekend, marlam? NASCAR has its first off weekend, as it traditionally does, for the Easter holiday.

If He Places In The Top 10, You Get A Free Bloomin' Onion At Outback! :D