3 hours ago, Walter said:

Monaco was so very intense this morning!  Drama all the way until the last lap - if it had gone 2 min later who knows what would've happened with the impending rain.  That course is so tight.  Kimi was an A-Hole, in my opinion for wrecking Grosjean (sp?) and then driving around with his nose coming apart.  Great run for Perez.  I really like his ability to make a lot out of a little.  Of course Ricciardo lost the race just like Hamilton did last year - due to a complete colapse by his team.  I mean WTF!  I've never scene that happen in racing, not NASCAR, not endurance racing, not IRL, never.....   How could a team call in their car who is leading and not have the tires ready?!?!? ? 

I see the situation with Räikkönen and Grosjean partly as a racing incident. Obviously Grosjean didn't know that Kimi's car had, shall we say, limited steerability. Mostly Kimi's fault though. In the end he was able to park his car to a safe place.

Now I must go to work :)

12 hours ago, marlam said:

I see the situation with Räikkönen and Grosjean partly as a racing incident. Obviously Grosjean didn't know that Kimi's car had, shall we say, limited steerability. Mostly Kimi's fault though. In the end he was able to park his car to a safe place.

Now I must go to work :)

Kimi wrecking was a racing incident.  Him coming off the wall, wrecked, and getting in the middle of race traffic was ridiculous and disrespectful to the rest of the field.   Monaco was by far the best race of the three yesterday.  Looking forward to seeing what the Red Bull cars have for the silver arrows at Canada.  Apparently they're bringing new motors with them.

28 minutes ago, Walter said:

Kimi wrecking was a racing incident.  Him coming off the wall, wrecked, and getting in the middle of race traffic was ridiculous and disrespectful to the rest of the field.   Monaco was by far the best race of the three yesterday.  Looking forward to seeing what the Red Bull cars have for the silver arrows at Canada.  Apparently they're bringing new motors with them.

I think that every single F1 driver would have done the same. Of course I'm biased as fuck since I'm looking this all through blue and white coloured glasses ;)

3 hours ago, marlam said:

I think that every single F1 driver would have done the same. Of course I'm biased as fuck since I'm looking this all through blue and white coloured glasses ;)

I know and you know I pull for the HAAS team.  I love the course they drive in Montreal.  The standings are becoming much more interesting after the past two races.

6 hours ago, Walter said:

I know and you know I pull for the HAAS team.  I love the course they drive in Montreal.  The standings are becoming much more interesting after the past two races.

Yeah, Montreal is great. Races are usually entertaining there. If Red Bull can keep up their form and Ferrari's engine upgrade will work, it could be the best GP of the season yet!

7 hours ago, marlam said:

Yeah, Montreal is great. Races are usually entertaining there. If Red Bull can keep up their form and Ferrari's engine upgrade will work, it could be the best GP of the season yet!

Remember the two hour rain delay about five years ago, I don't remember the race, but that wait.....

• 3 weeks later...

In last Sundays race Valtteri Bottas was my pick for the driver of the day. Excellent drive by him! Ferrari, once again, gave the victory away.

In todays qualifying Hamilton was a complete mess. Perez, on the other hand, has proven this season that he deserves another shot at a top team.  Too bad he has that 5 grid penalty. Still, interesting starting grid for tomorrows race.

Great run by Perez today!  7th podium finish for him.  Rosberg had everyone covered.  Great course, but pretty boring race overall.

I didn't get to see the Canadian Grand Prix last week.  We were out of town and our station had breaking news coverage on instead.  I saw that Hamilton won.  

• 3 weeks later...

Dale Earnhardt Jr is sitting out his 2nd consecutive race with concussion like symptoms.  Jeff Gordon has come out of retirement to take the ride for this week at the Brickyard (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) and next week at Pocono, PA.  Glad he is looking out for his own future and health.

F1 qualifying from the Hungarian Grand Prix is on right now - looks like Lewis Hamilton will get the pole - wait, nope Rosberg stole the pole after Alonso spins out in front of Hamilton.  Tomorrow will be interesting.... 

Bit boring last half of the race in Hockenheim. Hamilton stretches his lead in the points. Red Bull was really strong and they have taken Ferrari's place as the second fastest team.

Next GP won't be until a month from now but luckily the Olympics will start next week ;)

^ That's a bad ass funny car!  I love how the rear end slicks ripple.  Spent many weekends at the drag races back when I was little.  All over the northeast.

I avoided your posts above, marlam.  I'm still one race behind in the F1 season.  Just watched the Hungarian Grand Prix yesterday.  Hamilton is really taking control, but again I haven't watched Germany.

This weekend in NASCAR - Watkins Glen.  Great race track, but it was just repaved so nobody knows how the cars will react with the new aeropackage along with hard tires and a track with an extreme amount of grip.  

Jeff Gordon continues to fill in for Dale Earnhardt Jr and will do so at Bristol in two weeks (next week is a rare off week). No time table for return when the brain is involved.  I think his career is over, personally and sadly.  But his long-term health is priority number one.

On 8/5/2016 at 6:49 AM, Walter said:

^ That's a bad ass funny car!  I love how the rear end slicks ripple.  Spent many weekends at the drag races back when I was little.  All over the northeast.

They race it locally and they take it out of state. My fave place in California was Fremont drag strip. Long gone to developers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week is nostalgia week in NASCAR.  The tradition continues...Southern 500 at Darlington.  "The Track Too Tough  To Tame"..."The Lady In Black"!  The Darlington Stripes will be plentiful on the "throwback" paint schemes that will celebrate some of the classic cars in the glorious history of NASCAR.  NBC will be playing commercials from the 70's during the telecast Sunday Night as well.  This is one of the few tracks where the drivers have to race the track first and foremost, at the same time 39 other competitors on the 1.3 egg shaped oval.

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Night race in Singapore is always a beautiful setting for a GP. Ricciardo almost made it but wasn't quite enough. Now Rosberg seems to have the momentum in the championship fight. I honestly thought he was done for when Hamilton passed him in the points couple of races ago.

Speaking of Hamilton, Mercedes once again outmaneuvered Ferrari wih their tactic and Kimi's overtake on Lewis was wasted.

Next is Malaysia at the beginning of October, another race with hot conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Ricciardo wins in Malaysia! Because of Hamilton's bad luck Rosberg stretches his lead to 23 points with five races to go.

4th and 5th places were pretty much maximum for Finnish drivers today. Ferrari and Williams just didn't have the speed to challenge Mercedes and Red Bull. Especially Williams has dropped far away from the top teams.

Edited by marlam

• 2 weeks later...

FUCK YEAH!!!!  HARVICK WINS KANSAS!!!!

Harvick finished 39th two weeks ago at the last race of the round of 16, after securing his advancement into the round of 12 with a win at New Hampshire.  Then he finished 38th last week at Charlotte for the 1st race of the round of 12, leaving him in a hole to head to the round of 8.  So today was pretty much a must win situation, since the next race is at the highly unpredictable Talladega restrictor plate track.  Well, he won!  Now advances to the round of 8, which includes Phoenix where Kevin has the most wins of anyone.  Stoked! ????

Two weeks ago it looked like Hamilton is starting to crack. Fooling around in one press conference, walking out of another and screwing up the start... I think this weekend will be very crucial for him. If he can't get his act together Rosberg could be 40 points or more ahead after sunday. That would be a huge gap to catch up in three races.