Feeling like a Talladega week!

Was at the track on business earlier this year.

One pic taken from inside a corporate suite, barely past the start/finish line.

A couple of teams were testing for Daytona, but the track was wet and I didn't get to see anf action... except the jet-dryers.

Weird to be in this humongous environment void of all but a handful of people.

post-2349-0-44603800-1398896736_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-54657700-1398896781_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-08741800-1398896826_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-25371200-1398896882_thumb.jp

I remember when Senna died. Earnhardt won at Talladega that week and dedicated the win to him. Sadly, 7 years later the Big E would have the same fate....tough sport, racing is.

I have had 3 drivers in my life whom I have worshiped: the late, great Richie Evans, the late, great Dale Earnhardt, and Kevin Harvick. I just pray that Harvick doesn't die on the track like Evans and Earnhardt did.

I didn't realize the Altamont track had closed (again). :( We went there in the late 90's and got free admission because my brother was driving a rusty/primered '57 Chevy station wagon. We felt like royalty. :) That day we saw open wheel alcohol burners on the 1/4 mile track. Them cars are FAST!!! :)

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/R-I-P-Altamont-Raceway-3231903.php

An ok race in Spain today, nothing special but better than the Chinese GP.

Mercedes has unbelievable pace. How can they be so much faster than everyone else? Hopefully the other teams will be able to improve in the upcomig races.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm glad I watched those races on my dvr....was able to fast forward through the dull parts - which was much of the China race. Hamilton is just untouchable. Even his pit crew can't slow him down!

Today is like Christmas Eve for race fans....tomorrow we have the Monaco GP in the morning, Indianapolis 500 in the afternoon, and Charlotte in the evening for the 600. Should be a wonderful day to cookout, swim, and check out the racing! Perfect....

:thumbsup:

Yeah Hamilton has been looking like a moody little bitch. I am really becoming a Richardo (sp?) fan. That kid can drive and never gives up - another podium finish for him today. I love how tight that Monaco course is...amazing they can drive that fast there.

Indy currently underway - caution free. The last 30 laps should be something!

Yes, Ricciardo has surprised me. I never thought he could beat Vettel but he has been much faster so far. Another young driver I would like to see in a big team is Nico Hülkenberg. He has been really impressive this year.

About yesterdays winner Nico Rosberg: I always thought he was too nice and soft to ever be a world champion but his performance and behaviour in Monaco has really changed my opinion on him. He might have what it takes to beat the others after all. At least he seems to be mentally stronger than Hamilton at the moment.

Edited by marlam

• 2 weeks later...

Was out of town when the Canadian GP was run, just watched it on tape yesterday - my boy earned his first win! Way to take that #3 to victory lane, Ricciardo!!!

In NASCAR news yesterday, my boy Harvick finished 2nd for the 4th time in the last 6 races (points and non-points). His pit crew keeps letting him down! :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I watched today and he was impressive. Good racing all the way around! Fun watching the duel between Alonso and Riccardo. Hamilton was amazing coming from the back and with all of that wing damage.

Only a 14 point lead for Rosberg....

Tonight is the "Mud-summer Classic" from Eldora Speedway. It's the NASCAR Trucks series only dirt race of the year. They have heat races to qualify for the big 150 lap main race. If you've never watched dirt racing - it is unlike anything ever done on asphalt. Fox Sports 1 is carrying the race, coverage begins around 7 pm.

This weekend the Cup and Nationwide Series visit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The racing isn't as great as it was at IRP, but the vibe of the race is pretty intense.

Go Harvick!

:cheer:

Just turned on F1 qualifying to see Lewis Hamilton on fire! Literally! I guess he'll have to come from the back yet again. Seems like if it wasn't for bad luck, Hamilton would have no luck at all....

Qualifying from The Brickyard on tap for this afternoon also.

This time Hamilton will have much harder job than last time since overtaking is very difficult in Hungary.

Earlier you mentioned dirt racing. WRC is a motorsport that is very popular in Finland. The golden age of this sport was in the 80's when they had those crazy Group B rally cars. Unfortunately I wasn't even born back then but here's a nice clip I found on Youtube:

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Kevin Ward Jr.

This happened in Rick's neck of the woods. It will be very interesting to see how Tony Stewart is effected by this. The facts are this 20-year-old got out of his car after being spun in a "racing incident", went towards open wheel cars going 50+ mph (under caution, so they weren't racing), in a dimly lit dirt track, to voice his displeasure with being spun out by Stewart in mind. He got too close to Tony's car, Stewart wasn't able to see Ward, and Ward was thrown 50 feet in the air after being touched by his tire. You could see Tony trying to steer away from the kid at the last second, but it was too late.

Sad, but avoidable.

It is not common for drivers to get out of their cars and walk down the track towards the moving racecars - before the safety vehicles show up to get the wreck area secured. That's something that needs to be addressed.