I was watching. That was sick, and not in a good way. Last night in Ketucky a truck driven by the nephew of NASCAR's CEO tore a hole in the fence ending the race early. Just glad everyone has walked away from these wrecks, fans included. Two fans from the Daytona have gotten an ambulance chasing lawyer to try to get a settlement from the speedway....

Is Kasey Khane gonna make The Chase this year?

Funny video that was sent to me involving Kevin Harvick's just turned 3 year old son, Keelan, driving his birthday present that was given to him by his champion father this past week. The bit about the cat is from last year's Atlanta race where a cat ran across the track in front of Harvick while he was leading the race....of course that's Kevin's teammate and Keelan's girlfriend Danica Patrick at the end of the clip - to the champ goes the spoils! ;):)

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/blogs/inside-groove/2015/7/nascarcasm-kevin-harvick-keelan-harvick-danica-patrick.html

Edited by Walter

I was watching. That was sick, and not in a good way. Last night in Ketucky a truck driven by the nephew of NASCAR's CEO tore a hole in the fence ending the race early. Just glad everyone has walked away from these wrecks, fans included. Two fans from the Daytona have gotten an ambulance chasing lawyer to try to get a settlement from the speedway....

Is Kasey Khane gonna make The Chase this year?

I couldn't believe it as after the car hit the fence the engine and tranny flew out and one driver just missed hitting it. That's a souvenir I wouldn't mind having. Can't imagine the force of coming to a dead stop from almost 200 mph, but the driver was a-ok. :o

I would think that NASCAR has the same stipulation as baseball where they are not responsible if you are hit with a ball, bat or car debris. Fuckin' lawyers.

Kasey is currently in 11th place in the overall standings, so I guess anything can happen. Lots of racing left.

I couldn't believe it as after the car hit the fence the engine and tranny flew out and one driver just missed hitting it. That's a souvenir I wouldn't mind having. Can't imagine the force of coming to a dead stop from almost 200 mph, but the driver was a-ok. :o

I would think that NASCAR has the same stipulation as baseball where they are not responsible if you are hit with a ball, bat or car debris. Fuckin' lawyers.

Kasey is currently in 11th place in the overall standings, so I guess anything can happen. Lots of racing left.

Yep! We were at Atlanta last year when he got his chase birth win. Lots of racin'! Could be tonight....

Yes, we are definitely a Chevy family! The wife drives a Tahoe and I have a Camaro. We support pretty much only Chevy drivers. Even bought the Tahoe from Dale Earnhardt (RIP) Chevrolet. Was a HUGE Dale fan and started following Harvick the year before Big E's passing. we were there that horrific day. Kevin has been my #1 since. Last year we were at Homestead for the championship win, went to victory lane, etc. After the year we had, it was exhilarating! I've been a fan since I was very young watching Richie Evans in the modifieds in the northeast, became a Dale fan after coming to Daytona in 1980. The rest is history!

:peace:

• 2 weeks later...

The F1 race in Hungary last weekend was crazy! For the first time since 2013 there were no Mercedes cars on the podium. Pastor Maldonado made a hat trick he probably didn't want with three penalties in one GP :P Also, nice memorial for Jules Bianchi before the race.

This weekend there's Neste Oil Rally Finland in Jyväskylä, the fastest event of the WRC season. The speeds in those small gravel roads are amazing!

Edited by marlam

Been there a number of times myself, Rick. Yeah pit stops are now routinely 12 seconds or less - that's changing 4 tires, adding 20 gallons of fuel, and making adjustments to the chassis. Fun place to spend the day partying and watching some great high speed road racing! Right after yesterday's race they began tearing up the track getting it ready for a complete repave. I'm glad they're pumping more money into it - it guarantees many more years of NASCAR and many other series will race there. My boy had the lead until the last turn when he ran out of gas. He was supposed to run out with two laps to go, but saved about a gallon even while leading the race. It's the first time in like 20 years they didn't have a caution with 30 or less laps to go.... A caution would've allowed him to save more and therefore win. Oh well, he's in The Chase already, is still the points leader, defending champion of the series, and usually has the fastest car pretty much every week.

We're heading up to "the track too tough to take", aka Darlington Raceway, over Labor Day weekend to see the return of the Southern 500 to the "Lady in Black" on its longtime traditional weekend date. It will be a total throwback weekend with many cars having special paint schemes, the track being dressed up like its 1972 and many more surprises yet to be announced. Walter Jr's first trip up there.

The F1 race in Hungary last weekend was crazy! For the first time since 2013 there were no Mercedes cars on the podium. Pastor Maldonado made a hat trick he probably didn't want with three penalties in one GP :P Also, nice memorial for Jules Bianchi before the race.

Just was able to watch the F1 Hungary race this week. Wow! Crazy for sure! Hamilton was lucky to come out of it with the points lead. He was a mess! Great start and run by the Ferrari's/Vettel. My boy Riccardo finally looked good, plus I loved the way he took out that pompous Rosberg. It seems like they haven't raced at all this summer.

We went to Indy for the Brickyard 400 a few weeks ago, here are some pics from our seats, etc:post-3394-0-21606400-1439506111_thumb.jppost-3394-0-11354500-1439506146_thumb.jppost-3394-0-95314700-1439506166_thumb.jppost-3394-0-85829500-1439506208_thumb.jp

Been there a number of times myself, Rick. Yeah pit stops are now routinely 12 seconds or less - that's changing 4 tires, adding 20 gallons of fuel, and making adjustments to the chassis. Fun place to spend the day partying and watching some great high speed road racing! Right after yesterday's race they began tearing up the track getting it ready for a complete repave. I'm glad they're pumping more money into it - it guarantees many more years of NASCAR and many other series will race there. My boy had the lead until the last turn when he ran out of gas. He was supposed to run out with two laps to go, but saved about a gallon even while leading the race. It's the first time in like 20 years they didn't have a caution with 30 or less laps to go.... A caution would've allowed him to save more and therefore win. Oh well, he's in The Chase already, is still the points leader, defending champion of the series, and usually has the fastest car pretty much every week.

We're heading up to "the track too tough to take", aka Darlington Raceway, over Labor Day weekend to see the return of the Southern 500 to the "Lady in Black" on its longtime traditional weekend date. It will be a total throwback weekend with many cars having special paint schemes, the track being dressed up like its 1972 and many more surprises yet to be announced. Walter Jr's first trip up there.

We also have Spencer Speedway, if its still open and near Buffalo is Lancaster. Lots of demolition at both. Just saw this post. Watkins Glen is far more well known. Its a bit remote. An hour and a half south of Rochester. In the Southern Tier as its known by New Yorkers. My wife is from that area. I used to deer hunt down there 20 years ago. I have been by Daytona a few times while hitting that beach. Its not the best place to go in Florida by any stretch as I am sure you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Prayers going out to Justin Wilson and his family tonight. He was hit in the head with the nose of another car while driving through an accident during today's IRL race at Pocono. It's a heavy piece and he was traveling about 200 mph in an open cockpit race car. He was flown to the hospital with a head injury. Waiting for any updates....

RIP Justin Wilson Condolences to his wife and two little girls, entire family, friends and all at Andretti Racing.

The sport can be so brutal at times. Many have been lost and safety is still paramount. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done though at those speeds.

Godspeed.

Edited by Walter

Jules Bianchi, Guy Ligier, Justin Wilson... So many sad news for motorsport world in the last 1,5 months.

Meanwhile, Mercedes continued their F1 domination in Belgium after their failure in Hungary. Unbelievable mistake by Williams in one of their pit stops: three softs and one medium tyre in Bottas' car:

CNF_INVW8AAf26F.jpg

Edited by marlam

Congrats to Scott Dixon for overcoming a 47-point deficit to win the 2015 IndyCar Championship, while the season long leader Juan Montoya finished in 6th place for the race and tied him in the points. I mean really? How do you make up 47 points with the points leader only finishing 6th? That is the most gimmicky b.s. I have seen in a long time!

Just watched Rush again the other day. Great movie!

Very excited for todays F1 race in Italy with Kimi Räikkönen in the front row. Hopefully everything will go smoothly this time. He's had lots of bad luck in the last couple weekends.

Max Verstappen lost some parts from his car in the qualifying. The result actually looked pretty cool:

COI6alrUwAITG6C.jpg:large

• 2 weeks later...