That is very cool that you are close with Bobby Unser, Debs!

This weekend is the NASCAR finale at the 1.5 mile Homestead-Miami Speedway.  It has come down to 4 drivers:  Jeff Gordon (who will retire after the race to begin his career in broadcasting), Kevin Harvick (defending champion), Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr.  Out of those four drivers, whoever finishes the highest in the race will walk away with the driver's championship.  Last year, Harvick had to win the race to win the title as the 2nd place finisher was also one of the final 4 drivers.  

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton, for winning the F1 Championship.

In Brazilian GP Rosberg lapped all the other cars except his teammate and the Ferraris. I really hope the others will improve next year. We NEED more teams that can win races. Like in 2012 when there was seven different winners in the first seven races.

Formula 1 season 2015 was probably the least interesting since the dominance of Michael Schumacher over ten years ago. Mercedes was simply too strong and Rosberg was no match for Hamilton.

Kimi was obviously very excited to be on the podium today...

• 1 month later...

marlam, this weekend kicks off the 2016 racing season with the Rolex 24 hour race from Daytona International Speedway.  All sorts of different drivers from different disciplines competing.  Many, many different manufacturers will be present.  I will find the entry list and qualifying positions later this week.  Weather looks to be good for the race.  

I've pretty much gone cold-turkey on racing since last year's disappointing finish at Homestead.  

After the Rolex 24, we are heading up to a dirt track in Ocala, FL to watch the World Of Outlaws dirt sprint cars the night before the Super Bowl and then Speedweeks begin at Daytona.  Picked up tickets for the 500, mainly due to the completion of Daytona Uprising renovation job they have just completed - which took 2 years.  The track has been transformed into basically a racing stadium with brand new amenities for fans, new corporate suites, escalators taking people to the higher levels, etc.  I've been going to DIS since the 70's, so this is going to be amazing to see what all they've done to the facility.  The World Center of Speed.

Edited by Walter

Formula 1 season is also starting in less than two months. Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull already drove first tire tests.

Walter, what do you think we can expect from Haas F1 team? I think they could evolve into a steady points finisher during the season. At least their F1 project seems to have much more potential than many others we've seen in recent years. The big question is their drivers. Grosjean is fast but is he able to stay focused if the start of the season doesn't go as planned?

You know the personalities better then I do, marlam.  Is that his way?  You've gotta believe he knows there will be growing pains.  But they do have Ferrari backing, which has almost caught Mercedes - would you agree?  I do know Gene Haas was not successful in NASCAR until Tony Stewart became part owner.  So that doesn't bode well.  It should be very interesting.  I truly hope this F1 season is more competitive than last.   

Did you watch any of the Rolex24 at Daytona?  Good racin'!

Edited by Walter

Grosjean can be hot headed so he might get frustrated.  Gutierrez is bit of an unknown. Ferrari engine should be an advantage if it's at least on the same level as last year.

Too bad I missed the Rolex24. I've got all kinds of stuff going on, like today I should go pick up my new (used) car.

It was a good race, marlam.  The Corvettes raced for 24+ hours and finished a half of a car length behind one another for the win in their class.  4 tenths of a second.

Today starts the beginning of Speedweeks in Daytona.  Practice for the shootout (Sprint Unlimited) is this Friday.  Then a full slate of practice/racing on Saturday, with qualifying for the 500 on Sunday.

Unfortunately we were rained out of the dirt races this past Saturday.  

DAYTONA BABY!!!!  Today is New Year's Day in NASCAR world.  First and second practices for the "Sprint Unlimited" going on tonight.  Race is tomorrow at 8 on fox.  We are making the trip to the track tomorrow, just to shop.  Next Sunday is the 500.  Can't wait!!!!

Go Harvick!!!!

We race tonight!  8 pm, FOX.  The starting lineup:

Sprint Unlimited entry list

Position Driver Make
1 Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet
2 Brad Keselowski Ford
3 A.J. Allmendinger Chevrolet
4 Kyle Larson Chevrolet
5 Ryan Newman Chevrolet
6 Casey Mears Chevrolet
7 Martin Truex, Jr. Toyota
8 Clint Bowyer Chevrolet
9 Kyle Busch Toyota
10 Austin Dillon Chevrolet
11 Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. Ford
12 Danica Patrick Chevrolet
13 Matt Kenseth Toyota
14 Paul Menard Chevrolet
15 Denny Hamlin Toyota
16 Greg Biffle Ford
17 Aric Almirola Ford
18 Brian Vickers Chevrolet
19 Carl Edwards Toyota
20 Kasey Kahne Chevrolet
21 Kurt Busch Chevrolet
22 Kevin Harvick Chevrolet
23 Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Chevrolet
24 Jamie McMurray Chevrolet
25 Joey Logano Ford

20-year-old Chase Elliott has won the pole for next week's Daytona 500.  He is the son of Hall of Fame member Bill Elliott and he is driving the legendary 24, which was Jeff Gordon's ride the past 23 seasons.  

Starting spots 3-40 will be determined after Thursday night's "Duels at Daytona" 150 mile races.

Tonight is the Duels at Daytona, starting at 7 eastern.  Two 150 mile races, with half of the starting field for the 500 in one race and the other half in the second race.  Only the front row starting positions have been set thus far.  The remaining starting positions will be determined by tonight's results.

Today is also the 15 year anniversary of the death of Dale Earnhardt.  He died in the last turn of the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 as his son and his best friend, both driving cars owned by him, we're just ahead of him on their way to first and second place finishes.  Horrible, sad, day to say the least. RIP Dale.

• 2 weeks later...