2014 Major League Baseball contest

LedZeppfan77

How it will work. All invited. You will pick one team in each division and you will get a point for every win for that team. You will also pick two wild card teams in each league and their points will count if and only if they get in. Then for having predicting the playoffs 50 pts for each correct winning team in a series, both divisional and pennant series. 100 pts for correctly picking the world series champion. 100 pts for correctly picking the the two teams that will be in the series also. If their is a one off playoff game between two teams and you have that team that wins, an extra 25 pts. I will ask the mods if they will lock the thread on March 30th? Ask that we post comments and have baseball talk on a separate thread so it will be easy to look up and calculate the scores. So this will be the thread to make your picks. I expect a few questions early, but after the picks start to roll in, we discuss in another thread, perhaps we create a new baseball thread for the new season? Have to go see if the old one has a year on it.

To get points in the post season the teams you pick only will get you points. If none of you teams make it, no points.

Rick, jb126 already started a thread for the 2014 MLB season, in case you didn't know. Anyways, on to the picks:

NL East Champs: Atlanta Braves

NL Central: Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West: LA Dodgers

NL Wild Cards: Washington, St. Louis

AL East Champs: Boston

AL Central: Detroit

AL West: Oakland

AL Wild Cards: Cleveland, Baltimore

World Series Prediction: Dodgers & Tigers

Of course, my Series predictions are subject to change, depending on who gets in to the postseason, which is where I ask you Rick, will this thread be bumped up before the start of the postseason?

I will use your format. I have edited to answer your question. If there is major disagreement we can change it

NL East Washington Nationals

NL Central Cincinnati Reds

NL West LA Dodgers

NL Wild Cards Arizona and Atlanta

AL East Baltimore Orioles

AL Central Detroit Tigers

AL West Oakland A's

AL Wild Cards Seattle and Kansas City

World Series Prediction Baltimore and LA Dodgers

I thought we would have one contest for most regular season wins from the combined teams picked and then a separate for the playoffs, once we see who actually gets in? I will make my picks in mid-late March. Good luck everyone!

I thought we would have one contest for most regular season wins from the combined teams picked and then a separate for the playoffs, once we see who actually gets in? I will make my picks in mid-late March. Good luck everyone!

Lets see how many more participants we get. We can always have a second contest too.

NL East Champs: Phillies

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Giants

NL Wild Cards: Dodgers and Mets

AL East Champs: Baltimore

AL Central: Detroit

AL West: RANGERS

AL Wild Cards: Royals and Tampa

World Series Prediction: Phillies vs RANGERS

• 2 weeks later...

AL:

East: Boston

Central: Detroit

West: Texas

Wild Cards: Yankees, Angels

NL:

East: Atlanta

Central: St. Louis

West: Los Angeles

Wild Cards: Cincinnati, San Fransisco

World Series: Boston, St. Louis

World Champs: St. Louis

Okay, here goes (btw, Spring Training gave me nothing to go on so I'm totally guessing here)

AL

East - Boston

Central - Detroit

West - Texas

Wild Cards - Baltimore and Oakland

NL

East - Atlanta

Central - St Louis

West - Los Angeles

Wild Cards - Washington and San Francisco

World Series - Detroit and Los Angeles (Detroit wins)

Cy Young

AL - Yu Darvish

NL - Clayton Kershaw

Ten days!!!

Thanks for posting this! It's so cricket-like in its writing... "innings" to refer to a singular inning and "LA are" instead of "LA is" as it would be written here. Brings a new joy to reading about my favorite sport. Love it!!

Thanks for posting this! It's so cricket-like in its writing... "innings" to refer to a singular inning and "LA are" instead of "LA is" as it would be written here. Brings a new joy to reading about my favorite sport. Love it!!

hi ebk :)

I watched a bit of the game.

some cricket players and fans are not happy about the game being played at the SCG ( Sydney cricket ground ), as it made a state game move elsewhere.... but apparently the premier thought it would be good pr for us, and also generate money, so....

I know a 92 year old ex australian cricket team member who is a bit miffed ( they could have used another stadium ).

oh well.

glad you enjoyed it :)

hi ebk :)

I watched a bit of the game.

some cricket players and fans are not happy about the game being played at the SCG ( Sydney cricket ground ), as it made a state game move elsewhere.... but apparently the premier thought it would be good pr for us, and also generate money, so....

I know a 92 year old ex australian cricket team member who is a bit miffed ( they could have used another stadium ).

oh well.

glad you enjoyed it :)

Somebody is always going to grumble in these situations...you can't please everyone. They'll get over it. The Premier is right; it is a good pr opportunity.

I totally forgot about the Aussie games. Do these games count in the standings?

^^ Hmmm, I had no idea these Aussie games were part of the regular season, thanks for the clarification. So the season has "officially" started and what an underwhelming way to start. A major brainfart by Bud...

:rolleyes:

If you want to take the game internationally, then this is the way to go. Better to play games at the start of the season than in the middle of it, too disruptive or, at the end when the players have probably had enough and need a rest.

I have no problem with them playing at the SCG and I'm a Cricket tragic and have enjoyed watching the games, it's live on Free TV so that's a bonus.

The historical significance of this game goes back to the Goldrush days 100 years ago when the first Baseball game was played in Oz.

To be fair dinkum and really play a "World Series", then play other nations.

Btw, Australia's national team defeated the Diamondbacks 5-0 at the SCG last Friday night.

Looks like the "Brooklyn" Dodgers are setting themselves up for another win.

If you want to take the game internationally, then this is the way to go. Better to play games at the start of the season than in the middle of it, too disruptive or, at the end when the players have probably had enough and need a rest.

I have no problem with them playing at the SCG and I'm a Cricket tragic and have enjoyed watching the games, it's live on Free TV so that's a bonus.

The historical significance of this game goes back to the Goldrush days 100 years ago when the first Baseball game was played in Oz.

To be fair dinkum and really play a "World Series", then play other nations.

Btw, Australia's national team defeated the Diamondbacks 5-0 at the SCG last Friday night.

Looks like the "Brooklyn" Dodgers are setting themselves up for another win.

( and strider ) apparently the cricketers are only upset because a sheffield shield match couldn't be played there, and perhaps the baseball could have been played at, say, ANZ or elsewhere?

Archived