The one thing about Led Zeppelin

juxtiphi

Hi everybody, Whats the one thing you appreciate most about Led Zeppelin

For me the one thing is that they never played a show the same way twice. Keeping it fresh and giving people a unique show every night is how music should be. There are others like King Crimson and The Grateful Dead who strove to mix it up every night in order to give people a different experience rather than doing the same show note for note night after night right down to the comments like so many of today's bands.

For example, RUSH pretty much play the same thing night after night. They started off with a lot of room for expression, but during the mid 80's they seemed to leave that behind and strove for the perfect show every night which in my opinion caused them to becom cookie cutter performances. I use RUSH as an example for two reasons, 1, I experienced it and 2, my cousin was a huge fan and had many silver boots from the late 80's and 90's and one date sounded just like the another on so many of them that you couldn't tell the dates apart anymore. I love RUSH but their live shows dont offer the same expectation as say a Zeppelin show would. With RUSH you know you are going to see a killer show but you also know its the same exact show as the night before and so on and so on and...

I saw RUSH from the front row and from the 5th row on the next night, I have both boots and the shows are pretty much a carbon copy of one another.

On a side note, On the night I saw RUSH from the front row my seat was towards the right end of the stage ( which would be on Neil's left )and I had a direct line of site with him through his kit. ( big hole in it where the hi hat was ) Having some small talent as a drummer myself I kept time with Neil on every song for the entire show and I swear I saw him looking at me a couple times as I was going nuts air drumming. At the end of the show a guy came out from behind the stage and started walking right towards me! he had a pair of drum sticks in his hand!!. I was so excited as I thought he was going to give them to me. imagine how disappointed I was when he gave them to the guy next to me who stood there all night without really moving a muscle. I was in shock! I couldn't believe it!! I know those sticks were for me!!. My cousin said "I think we can take him" but I couldn't steal the sticks as that's not me.

So what's your one thing about Led Zeppelin.

The variety. People unfamiliar with the band would likely not know that How Many More Times, Bron Y Aur Stomp, The Crunge, and Carouselambra were all Led Zeppelin. That shows incredible evolution, and progression, and it was this approach to music that has kept me engaged for a lifetime.

The variety. People unfamiliar with the band would likely not know that How Many More Times, Bron Y Aur Stomp, The Crunge, and Carouselambra were all Led Zeppelin. That shows incredible evolution, and progression, and it was this approach to music that has kept me engaged for a lifetime.

I agree completely. There are a lot of reasons to love Zeppelins work. Carouselambra is Awesome!

Carouselambra is Awesome!

It sure is! ITTOD is incredible! Perhaps one of their most important albums, had they been able to continue. It signified a change of direction, just like LZ III did, and would have been a very pivotal album in their history, but for the tragic end.

Attention to detail. I love listening to an entire album, not skipping any of the songs. Even if at first I may not have recognized it, I have come to appreciate each song as a masterpiece. On any given day, I will hear a detail that I hadn't noticed before, a detail that is always carefully thought out and brilliant!

juxtiphi, I agree those sticks were yours!

Attention to detail. I love listening to an entire album, not skipping any of the songs. Even if at first I may not have recognized it, I have come to appreciate each song as a masterpiece. On any given day, I will hear a detail that I hadn't noticed before, a detail that is always carefully thought out and brilliant!

juxtiphi, I agree those sticks were yours!

Jimmy is the master of detail. The over dubs in That's The Way are pure genius! Zeppelins music is so good that if my mood is down any song will bring me out of it in a heartbeat. There's something about the way Jimmy sounds that just reaches all the way down into my center being and makes me shiver in delight.

Seeing and hearing them live at close quarters is like nothing else and no bootleg nor live video can come within a bull's roar of that experience.

It was 42 years ago today I had the pleasure of being in that situation.

There is only one thing, the music.

One of the things that I like most about Zep is that the record albums seem so different from each other. I love every Led Zep album, but for me each one has it's own unique vibe. Some bands sound almost the same on every one of their albums, but Zep always sound fresh and exciting on each of their albums.

In addition to my comments above, another thing about Zeppelin that drew me in and solidified my love for their music, was the fact that they had the best LP covers in the industry. There were a few average covers over the years, but generally they were very captivating and alluring. Most of the covers also represent the tone of the music that was housed inside, and that was also a feat of artistry.

One of the things that I like most about Zep is that the record albums seem so different from each other. I love every Led Zep album, but for me each one has it's own unique vibe. Some bands sound almost the same on every one of their albums, but Zep always sound fresh and exciting on each of their albums.

Exactly

Totally agree with OP (as well as all the following posts too). So many bands nowadays, even some of my favorites like The Black Keys and Arctic Monkeys, they play the same damn setlist every gig, nearly the exact same way as the album. Where is the evolution? The storytelling? It's frustrating that touring seems so mechanical. Even on Jack White's recent tour it lacked any true experimentation. Zeppelin just tops everyone live.

In addition to my comments above, another thing about Zeppelin that drew me in and solidified my love for their music, was the fact that they had the best LP covers in the industry. There were a few average covers over the years, but generally they were very captivating and alluring. Most of the covers also represent the tone of the music that was housed inside, and that was also a feat of artistry.

My Fav cover is Zep 3. The wheel is so cool. ICBW but I think it could be seen as a metaphor for the revolution they were experiencing at the time?. Second fav cover, Houses of The Holy. The bizarre scene on the front cover and then the sacrifice inside, ( I think its sacrifice ) icbw again but, to me it looks like the guy is holding the woman up to the light as if he were offering her to that light as though it were a god IDK.

The you have the ITTOD covers. I spent a lot of time searching for all 6 so I could see what they all saw. The multiple perspectives make you omniscient. You can see what they all saw even the John. What he sees from his perspective is on the inner sleeve. I love the hint about the inner sleeve with the wash of color on the covers. Didn't take too long for myself and a friend to figure it out together.

Zeppelin definitely has the best album covers of all time.

Great point, while others were moaning about how wishy washy Zep three was I was getting chills listening to Jimmy's overdubs in That's The Way. The emotion Jimmy creates in the solo for Tangerine is just beautiful! All the Guitar playing on three is genius which is why it went over so many heads.

Jimmy is the master of detail. The over dubs in That's The Way are pure genius! Zeppelins music is so good that if my mood is down any song will bring me out of it in a heartbeat. There's something about the way Jimmy sounds that just reaches all the way down into my center being and makes me shiver in delight.

Yes, agree 100%! Listening to LZ immediately lifts my spirits and soothes my soul, no matter what! You cannot listen to LZ and not be blissfully happy, it's just not possible!! ❤

For me, it's their passion, how much they loved what they did. You can't help but feel the power of it in their music - that, together with their astounding talents, it made them a force of nature.

After all Zeppelin never played the same set list night after night after night after night....did they. At least them Plantations were different.

I think you misunderstood, sure the set lists were the same, or pretty much the same, that was not the point. The point is the songs themselves changed from night to night, played differently, different approaches to the solos, different inprovs & medleys. That is what made Zep fresh every night.

I think it's they could Hammer like the G-ds, and at the same time they could switch gears 180 degrees and make more delicate music that was still pure and true. Their "lighter" side never sounded like a bull shit balad or pop song. Everything was always "cool".

Great thread dude,

​The one thing………After borrowing my best friends copy of their fourth album back in 1982 when I was only 17 and thought I need to know more, so off I went and bought Physical Graffiti and remembering telling my friend after just hearing 2 of their albums this is the greatest rock band ever, bought all of their other titles and was vindicated!

Great thread dude,

​The one thing………After borrowing my best friends copy of their fourth album back in 1982 when I was only 17 and thought I need to know more, so off I went and bought Physical Graffiti and remembering telling my friend after just hearing 2 of their albums this is the greatest rock band ever, bought all of their other titles and was vindicated!

Thanks!

True, I feel bad for people who dont get it .

Unlike other bands who lost members along the way, they had the decency to disband when Bonzo died instead of replacing him.

This does set them apart.

Also, The fact that anything went musically.... as long as it was good.. They wouldn't be pigeonholed into any one style..

The minute people tried to peg them "Heavy Metal" after LZ2, the next album comes out with half the numbers acoustic..

Some people thought Zeppelin had "gone soft" with Houses Of The Holy... The next album, was the heaviest, most powerful album in their catalog in PG.. Not a single Keyboard on Presence.. ITTOD was loaded with keys..etc...

I'd love to have heard what was coming after ITTOD...

Archived