Best Stairway

badgeholder

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Impeccable version, and great video.

Gosh dangit! This is it.  I want this in pro quality so badly I lose sleep at nights. Edit out the :30 of Jimmy sucking on his hair and give it to us, DAMNIT!  This and TUF from this same show. Both brutal, EPIC versions.

• 2 years later...
On 3/7/2014 at 10:46 AM, jsj said:

i heard the berlin 80 version of stairway not too long ago for the first time and found it to be unbearable. i heard it all the way through but really didnt want to as i found page's solo to be seriouslly lacking and i thought to my self that were i to watch a trubute band playing that same solo id laugh them out the place

Profoundly true! I still remember the first time I heard it. I got a bootleg from someone in high school (in the late 80s) and couldn't wait to get home and listen to it. It was Berlin 1980. At this point the only other bootlegs I had were Osaka 71, Blueberry Hill and BBC (when it was still a bootleg), so I had high expectations. Well, I could barely get through it. It sounded as bad as Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary, which was bad, bad, bad. Jimmy sounds so uninspired on the Berlin version. To make a comparison to boxing, Jimmy in 1980 was like Muhammad Ali in 1980.

I have my favorites sort of separated by year, not sure why, but the 1971 years were the best, but one could say that for just about anything related to live Zep performances during '71 compared to the rest. The version that sticks out the most, especially connected to Page's soloing is Seattle 1973 . . . just a scorching rendition, and his guitar is prominent (guitar sounds tuned a little different maybe?) in the recording which show-cases his playing even more.

• 5 months later...

Hard to pick just one, depends on my mood. I lean towards 71 versions, but here are some favs:

Belfast 71

Ipswich 71 (that solo damn)

London "Electric Magic" 71

Leicester 71

5/24/75

Outrider Tour, Oakland 88 - I was at this show, and it was just magical with the crowd participation. Got the boot not long after this show happened and listened to it quite a bit in 89.

Edited by 1975NQ
forgot to mention Ipswich, unforgivable really

• 1 month later...

Adding Copenhagen 71 to the list. ZepHead315 (Led Zep Boots on YT) just put up a speed corrected version of the entire show on the live show thread, with the full version of STH included (my first time hearing it), and it's incredible.