Best Stairway

badgeholder

" i felt it kinda rendered the start of the solo a little anti-climactic" : Exactly the words I should have used initially.

"It is so he has time to set up his switch from the 12-string to the 6-string neck for the solo" : Do you mean physically or musically ? I'm thinking I'm hearing some rhythm going on for a few bars there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

TSRTS is my favorite Version by far. Everything about it is perfect, from the Intro, to when the solo starts, to when the song ends. Out of all of Led Zeppelin's songs, 'Stairway To Heaven' Remains my favorite song. It helped me get through some tough times and everytime I listen to the Song, it feels like the first Time I have heard it.

TSRTS has the thing that makes it stand out among all the other versions of the Song - The Solo. It has my absolute favorite solo ever. It's Jimmy doing what he does best, and that's improvisation. No one comes even close to him in that aspect.

TSRTS is my favorite Version by far. Everything about it is perfect, from the Intro, to when the solo starts, to when the song ends. Out of all of Led Zeppelin's songs, 'Stairway To Heaven' Remains my favorite song. It helped me get through some tough times and everytime I listen to the Song, it feels like the first Time I have heard it.

TSRTS has the thing that makes it stand out among all the other versions of the Song - The Solo. It has my absolute favorite solo ever. It's Jimmy doing what he does best, and that's improvisation. No one comes even close to him in that aspect.

+1

I like the studio solo, although I'd have to go thru a lot of live ones I'd not heard so far. I've always wondered why the solo in almost every live version was delayed a couple of beats/bars/stanzas as opposed to the studio version. I never got used to that.

I agree with this. In the studio version the solo starts over the arrival of the Amin/G/F chord sequence, but live page plays through this chord sequence before going to the solo. We're not talking about a slight delay caused by switching between necks, which never caused any problem I noticed, but that the solo starts later compared to the studio version

• 4 weeks later...

It is so he has time to set up his switch from the 12-string to the 6-string neck for the solo. At the end of the solo, he would have to switch back to the 12-string and sometimes it took him a couple bars before he could manage it, so there are some live "Stairways" where you hear him play the "And as we wind on down the road..." part on the 6-string before he changes to the 12-string.

That's one of the great things about the 6/22/77 version--he manages to jump to the 6-string neck right away at the start of the solo. Also great that Robert actually echoes "laughter" rather than "Does anybody remember..."

• 1 month later...

For me the How The West Was Won version is by far my favorite - and not just because it is from an official release!

The little vocal interjections Plant does during the would-have-been "makes me wonder" parts are melodic and really cool and Jimmy's solo is so fluid and calculated and has this flow to it that I think he lost after 1972 - the solo section is just more energetic from the drums down to the guitar licks than for example the versions post-73

The fact that TSRTS version of STH was recorded by Eddie Kramer and filmed for the movie was incredible luck for all of us! All though it was fashionable for years to slag TSRTS, the truth is that as far as Jimmy's solos throughout, they are still among his best work: STH; NQ; TSRTS; D&C. These are some of his best moments, and again-what good fortune that they were captured by film and recorded excellently by Eddie Kramer. That's why in interviews from 1974, Page said "the (MSG SHOWS) were some of the best live stuff they had ever done"; and that the tapes sounded "incredible and beautiful". (This was before TSRTS came out, and got mixed reviews, and P&P suddenly got defensive.) Sure, everyone can find other individual performances of songs on boots over the years that are "better" in one way or another, but to have so many good moments of Page soloing in the 3 concerts that comprise TSRTS, was pretty amazing. Again, I'm centering on Jimmy's performances and solos; and the fact that it was the only time they professionally filmed/ recorded from 1/9/70 thru EC.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure Nutrocker can back me up on this one. I listened to 1977/06/11 (an old favorite) for the first time in awhile today and I forgot how kickass Jimmy's solo on Stairway was. Like, I always remembered it being good, but wow! Page was a man possessed this night! He's throwing in all sorts of licks and shreds just effortlessly. The audience video really helps the experience too. Hopefully EVSD will put out the rest of the sbd for this show someday.

I wouldn't want this thread to get off track but the worst stairway solo might be celebration day's

Um, I guess you have never seen the YouTube video of the RAH ARMS show from 83'.

The STH solo he did in Celebration Day was flawless and pretty close to the original studio version so I consider this particular solo good. I prefer the longer, improv solos of course but I would rather a shorter, more fluid solo than a 10 min noodling exercise leaving everyone shaking their heads.

The studio version is in a class of its own. I've never tried to equate concert material to studio versions but to answer your question, I think the solo lacks length and improvisation. It is restrained and I suspect or wonder that it may not have been Pages' choice to do so. I've never thought of JP as a "noodler". However, if others somehow appreciate Stairway more outside of Page's role - I can respect that and I would be curious to know why.

I was at the ARMS show. I've seen RAH and the you tube stuff. I like what he produced there - sure he misses some picks, frets and strings but I'm able to see through that and find the intent and emotion which is what makes him so brilliant. If I wanted technical perfection I would listen to the studio album over and over again or see John Williams play Bach.

I wouldn't want this thread to get off track but the worst stairway solo might be celebration day's

I don't about the solo, but having the song tuned down so much made it the least favorite for me. Other songs from that night, not so much, but Stairway sounded horrible to me that night.

There are so many great ones to choose from. May 31, 1973 - as Paul posted earlier - has always been a great one, with the always emotional Forum crowd on a special evening! Pure magick!

The studio version is in a class of its own. I've never tried to equate concert material to studio versions but to answer your question, I think the solo lacks length and improvisation. It is restrained and I suspect or wonder that it may not have been Pages' choice to do so. I've never thought of JP as a "noodler". However, if others somehow appreciate Stairway more outside of Page's role - I can respect that and I would be curious to know why.

I was at the ARMS show. I've seen RAH and the you tube stuff. I like what he produced there - sure he misses some picks, frets and strings but I'm able to see through that and find the intent and emotion which is what makes him so brilliant. If I wanted technical perfection I would listen to the studio album over and over again or see John Williams play Bach.

I agree, good post. What I was going for with my silly, noodling comment is his Stairway solo from Berlin 1980...just joking. I figure you are correct though, Page may have wanter to do a longer solo but there may have been time constraints or maybe he was afraid of flubbing it, who knows. I do believe had they toured or at least did a run of select cities the set would be very different. Once Page got in his groove, look out, he would have been improvising and such. I still think back to the 98' tour and I feel he did some of his best playing on that tour. In fact I would hazard to say this was Page's peak in live performing, his controlled emotion, expectation, accuracy, and fluidity seemed in perfect synch.

What say you....

Whoops, to stay on thread I have to agree with Bluecongo, Badgeholders is now my at moment favorite.