Celebration Day Video--Certified triple platinum RIAA

pagerox1

No surprise. This concert DVD set the standard for all to follow. Not only is it a great concert, by an amazing band, but it is an amazing work in and of itself. It was worth every minute of the 5 year wait, to get such a high quality product. I know that this is a very subjective point, but for me, the O2 was the best Zeppelin show ever, and it was more than we would ever have dreamed of a year prior to its occurrence. At the risk of sounding like a nut, I watched this DVD 3 times in the past 2 weeks, which is very unusual for me. Each time I watched it, I noticed more and more. The O2 was a dream come true, and a treasure for me.

^^^

No, watching CD three times in two weeks doesn't make you sound like a nut. Calling it the "best Zeppelin show ever" on the other hand...hehehe. ;)

It's definitely the best of the reunion shows and it's definitely the best live performance of "For Your Life". I still enjoy watching CD from start to finish but I still get annoyed by Dick Carruther's dicking around with the visuals. It's useless clutter and he misses so much of what's going on.

The best part of the visual aspect for me is that camera at the base of Jason's kick drum...that was a genius decision to plant a camera there. The shots of the three guys huddled together are priceless. I also liked the dolly shots from the audience where you could see the whole stage and backdrop and the fans with their fists in the air...or their cellphones, haha.

Apart from the crying girl at the end of "Kashmir", most of the crowd shots were annoying. Instead of focusing on hard-core Zeppelin fans like Front Row Dave, we got shots of random corporate women who looked like they could have been at a Robbie Williams or Sting concert.

Three times platinum is three million usually. Does this mean they sold three million in just the DVD format? Or is this three million sold in all the formats combined...CD/DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.?

^^^

No, watching CD three times in two weeks doesn't make you sound like a nut. Calling it the "best Zeppelin show ever" on the other hand...hehehe. ;)

It's definitely the best of the reunion shows and it's definitely the best live performance of "For Your Life". I still enjoy watching CD from start to finish but I still get annoyed by Dick Carruther's dicking around with the visuals. It's useless clutter and he misses so much of what's going on.

The best part of the visual aspect for me is that camera at the base of Jason's kick drum...that was a genius decision to plant a camera there. The shots of the three guys huddled together are priceless. I also liked the dolly shots from the audience where you could see the whole stage and backdrop and the fans with their fists in the air...or their cellphones, haha.

Apart from the crying girl at the end of "Kashmir", most of the crowd shots were annoying. Instead of focusing on hard-core Zeppelin fans like Front Row Dave, we got shots of random corporate women who looked like they could have been at a Robbie Williams or Sting concert.

Three times platinum is three million usually. Does this mean they sold three million in just the DVD format? Or is this three million sold in all the formats combined...CD/DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.?

I get your point and that is why I prefaced my point by saying that this is subjective, but for me, after weighing ALL factors, this show was their best. After years of not playing together, and at their respective ages, they pulled off a miracle. They were tight, and clean, and Robert never sounded better. It was nice not to have to listen to his silly screams and editorials during Stairway, and SIBLY, and he had masterful control of his voice that he never had in the old days. Age gave way to restraint, and a great performance. Page was sober and clean, and played beautifully. There were fewer muffs and screw ups than in his post '75 days, when he was trashed. You could say that he played better in the '69 to '73 era, but there is no concert from that era that can touch 02, simply because the set list was restricted to so few albums. I also really appreciated the condensed and succinct versions of their epic songs. They were great and not overly indulgent. On a purely emotional level, this show meant more than any other, as people like you and I could never have expected this a year or two prior. It was hard not to have a lump in one's throat when the opening notes of GTBT were played. Nope, all things considered, and given their age and lack of playing together, the 02 was by far the best show for me. Unequalled and unmatched. A treasure for the Zep faithful.

As for production values, the video was choppy, and that was the one complaint that I had, but when you look at some of the other concert turds out there, it was still a cut above the vast majority. Besides, there always has to be something to complain about. :)

Still a Crown jewel in my collection.

Hard to say. The RIAA has four separate listings for Celebration Day, all with the "video longform" moniker. One of them is Gold, one of them is Platinum, one of them is 2.00x Multi-Platinum, and the last is 3.00x Multi-Platinum.

Not their best show ever, but as Strider said it's the best of the reunion gigs. Plant said it was their best since 1975 and I may have to agree with that. There were some great 77 gigs, but several of those shows were uneven or pretty bad. Even the best shows from LA, NYC and Baltimore had some uneveness to them with Achilles, SIBLY (paino, just doesn't work on this song) and the encores of WLL and RNR. Jimmy's tone on the last two, just aren't good as well as Robert's use of the harmonizer. Not crazy about JPJ backups on Evermore either.

I do like your humor Strider, that this was the best performance of FYL!

CB was surprisingly good - tight and Roberts voice was the best in many, many years. I love it too. Only bit of criticism: the too predictable setlist. CTBT and FYL were a surprise, the rest was predicted even before the show was played.

Archived