When in London, where to go in the music scene? Venues, events, covention's, someones garage? etc.

Joe Drapela

Hi Joe,

Wishing you the best for your trip, and a Happy Birthday when it comes.

If you are seeking out Led Zeppelin related sites, you might want to check out The Royal Albert Hall; No. 4 Holland Street, Kensington (former location of Jimmy's Equinox bookshop); The Marquee Club; The O2 (a bit soulless,but it was the 2007 venue); Earls Court (1975 venue - not sure if it has been demolished yet).

If you are wanting more general advice, I would suggest you go online and fix yourself up with an Oyster Card, which is a prepaid tourist travel card for the London buses and the London Underground.

If you are a Stones fan, Bill Wyman has a restaurant in Phillimore Gardens, Kensington called 'Sticky Fingers' where he displays his own personal Stones memorabilia.

There are the usual tourist sites like Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and The Tower of London. If you do a search for the palaces, they often have exhibitions on throughout the year relating to the Royal Family.

Here is the link to the official London tourist guide:- http://www.visitlondon.com/

There are a number of vinyl record shops in London which Jimmy and Ross Halfin visit.

Will be in London April 27th 2014 to May 4th 2014 for my Birthday and appreciate any guidance and advice for this.

Here's a great site chock full with things to do, places to eat, etc. Subscribe to their daily email list.

www.londonist.com

BTW, if you don't want the hassle of ordering an Oyster Card you can just buy one while you're there - all stations sell them and I'm sure they sell them at Heathrow as well. Forget the "tourist" card just get a regular one, only a 5 pound refundable deposit when you buy it plus whatever amount you decide to top it up with.

Another great site to look at for discounted entrance fees to sites is www.londonpass.com.

Abbey Road, Royal Albert Hall, the Marquee, Earls Court are a must. Arcade Fire are playing Earls Court in June, so it hasn't been demolished yet. Hammersmith Odeon is another legendary music venue.

You should also try to find the room where they first rehearsed in 1968...John Paul Jones mentions it in one of his interviews.

At any rate, you should have a blast. Avail yourself to all the great pubs and sample the many fine ales and beers brewed in the UK. Don't you dare waste time ordering a Budweiser. Blech.

Lots of fantastic Indian restaurants in London, too. England isn't just fish n chips and shepherd's pie.

Abbey Road, Royal Albert Hall, the Marquee, Earls Court are a must. Arcade Fire are playing Earls Court in June, so it hasn't been demolished yet. Hammersmith Odeon is another legendary music venue.

You should also try to find the room where they first rehearsed in 1968...John Paul Jones mentions it in one of his interviews.

At any rate, you should have a blast. Avail yourself to all the great pubs and sample the many fine ales and beers brewed in the UK. Don't you dare waste time ordering a Budweiser. Blech.

Lots of fantastic Indian restaurants in London, too. England isn't just fish n chips and shepherd's pie.

The original Marquee club on Wardour Street went years ago - probably a Tesco express now. London has always been a standing joke when it comes to Ale. I am sure there are pubs where you can get a good pint, but one may take the plunge and leave the smoke and try proper ale. Manchester,Bradford and Birmingham are Curry cities. In Manchester we have "the curry mile" in Rusholme and in the City centre it is possible to get a ruby and roti for what a coke will cost you in London.

• 1 month later...

Hey Joe!

You can also go to Camden Town (touristic but suggestive market: your wife will like it surely ... :peace: ).

Very close to Camden, along Chalk Farm Road you can see a "place of memories": the Roundhouse.

Robert Plant and Maureen were married on November 9, 1968 in London. The reception was the band's first show billed as Led Zeppelin there, at the Roundhouse ...

Have you a great time in London!

• 2 weeks later...

As Strider said, don't be drinking any shitty lager, get yourself some nice warm real ale, there are tons of them......and they mostly blow your socks off after six or seven pints!!!! Having said that I have only been to London twice in my 59 years, once was brilliant (Led Zeppelin - Earls Court) the other time was awful, a lot of the locals aren't too friendly, and believe me they will try to rip you off.As Chillumpuffer said, get out of London and see the friendly side to the UK.

Archived