Record Store Day 2014

Strider

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I bought most cds from a small record store and when I went to best buy, it was because I couldn't find a parking spot at the other place. A few years ago, I noticed that the section of the used DVDs was much more than previous years. Last year I noticed that half of the counter contained used cds for one dollar. The counter is like 20,25 feet long, 6 or 7 feet wide. I asked about the dollar cds, the guy said that they are basically worth nothing. They had 3 locations at one time and now down to the one. In years past I noticed that they only paid a dollar cash, to folks selling them cds and two or three dollars credit. I suppose that's even lower these days.

I try and support the small record stores, with new releases and almost always finding something used also. I hope they weather the storm and make it through the downturn in the music business.

The store I go to is pretty small so I got there at 6:15am and sure enough there already were about 15 people ahead of me and the store wasn't opening until 8am! When they opened everyone just all goes in at once and they have all the RSD releases displayed all over the store! It was utter chaos...and my fingers were frozen from the dampness we have out here....as I crammed in with everyone else...I looked at the guys behind the counter who were yelling " What are you guys looking for?" then they'd direct you...and I yelled " JImmy Page!" lolol....and the one guy just pointed up the two steps and there it was ! They had about 5 copies and I was the first to grab it...and it looked like the I was the only one looking/asking for it. I also was able to get The Yardbirds " Little Games" lp - so the long wait out in the cold was worth it!

I'd really like to acquire one of the splattered vinyl "Little Games".

Picked up Little Games this morning. Didn't realize it was splattered vinyl until I read this post!

I did good. I didn't get to my record store until 4:45 am and I was the first one! About 30 minutes later someone else came and the line ended up being pretty long by the time the doors opened. They put all the items on 4 tables that were there right in front when we walked in, man those tables got swamped fast but there was an employee who directed me, I first asked for the "Live At The Greek" and he pointed me to it and I got one. Then before he could walk off too far I then asked for the "Little Games" and he pointed me to it and I got one. Then he was walking away and I caught up to him and asked for the glow in the dark "Ghostbusters" vinyl and he started to walk me to it and then said that they were all gone. This all happened very fast, people went right for the "Ghostbusters" so that's all right. There was a mystery release 45 that I got, a colored vinyl Rush 45 with Love on the other side, both sides have the song '7 And 7 Is'. I also got a shirt, glass and cd and a few other things. I'll post some pictures. I am very happy.

Total crowd scene at Amoeba Records today. Normally, I have a friend at Amoeba to scope out the records I'm looking for, which allows me to go to another record store that won't be so crowded. But my friend wasn't working Amoeba this weekend, which meant I had to deal with the madness.

I didn't arrive at Amoeba until 7am, at which point there were already 250 people in line. Officially, Amoeba wouldn't open until 10:30 but for Record Store Day they were opening at 10am. So we settled in for the long haul. The staff passed out coffee and pastries to keep us fortified. Even better, they gave everyone a list of all the Record Store Day exclusive releases. You marked the releases you wanted (only one copy of each per customer to prevent hoarding) and put your name on the list. Around 9:30, they began taking in the lists in order of the line, so they could get your purchases ready ahead of time. When your number came up you were directed to a cashier where your paid for your purchase...and if one of your choices was sold out, you could choose another.

Right from the beginning, many of the ones I wanted were already sold out...Spacemen 3 "Translucent Flashbacks", REM Unplugged 1991/2001, Devo "Live at Max's Kansas City 1977". But Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes and Yardbirds were still available.

Hour after hour passed and every time the girl came out to mark the ones that were sold out, I crossed my fingers that my choices would be spared. Around the fourth hour in line, about 11am, the first sign of doom...Yardbirds "Sounds I Heard" got the dreaded red 'X'. Then, fifteen minutes later, Page & Black Crowes "Live at the Greek" was sold out! Argh! I was about 10 people or so from the door. I could only hope that they had already filled my order before it sold out.

Finally at 11:30...4 and a half hours in line...I got to go in and make my purchase. Alas, Live at the Greek was not in my bag. But the splatter vinyl of "Little Games" was, along with the new Black Angels clear vinyl EP. I asked for the splatter vinyl of Velvet Underground "Loaded" and Type O Negative "Slow, Deep and Hard" and the Sam Cooke vinyl...all were sold out. Damn.

Finally, I just asked for the Cure/Dinosaur Jr. and Devo/Flaming Lips split 7" singles. They still had those. Oh, and I got a free goodie bag with cds, discount coupons, buttons, turntable mat, and other stuff.

The Little Games splatter vinyl is cool but I really wanted that three colour Live at the Greek set. Here's some photos of the day...some of my records and the crowd scene inside and outside the store.

post-1470-0-69827300-1397983003_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-45326600-1397983046_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-81318900-1397983097_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-03620700-1397983130_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-67067700-1397983182_thumb.jp

I got a bag of goodies also; a cd, buttons, patches and a 45. I got half off my Yardbirds from spending points I had accumulated. For $5 extra I got a record store day 2014 shirt, a zia records glass, and a cd. Here's a picture of the picture on the bag I got.

post-15049-0-69272800-1398033703_thumb.j

I arrived my "local" record store at 4:15 AM and was fifth in line. The first guy in line had arrived at 3:00! Some employees arrived a little after 7:00 to out place numbers, and they informed us that there were problems with the distributor. They had apparently not received everything they ordered, and what had received was in limited supply. Fortunately, they had everything I wanted except for Little Games. I picked up JP and the Black Crowes, the Allman Brothers release, and Hendrix Live at Monterey among others. I was a little worried about the price of JP and the Black Crowes, as last years Cream release (also a colored triple LP set) was $120. It happened that it was only around $40, so I was quite happy. The colored vinyl is very nice looking (especially the clear LP),and I played it immediately after getting back home. Along with my purchases, I got a goodie bag filled with buttons, CDs, and a cool "Support Your Local Record Store" t-shirt. I really enjoy the vibe of Record Store Day, and getting there early was definitely worth it. Afterthought: I was really quite impressed with the sound of the Allman Brothers release. Did anyone else pick that up?

I am happier than ever getting a Little Games splatter vinyl and a Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes colored vinyl (well now I have the all white set and the red, clear, and blue set) ever since my colored vinyls were stolen back in 93' along with the first splatter vinyl I ever had which was The Firm live in Frankfurt, so I have come back as far as restoring to a degree, Happier than ever! :hurrah:

Not all of the Record Store Day exclusive releases sold out last Saturday, and yesterday I got the Mystery Single alluded to above, which is a split 7" on coloured vinyl of Love / Rush "7 and 7 Is". Also got this weird Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions on purplish-grey splatter vinyl. It is only a single record containing some of the better 1969 performances.

post-1470-0-44007200-1398509999_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-48953200-1398510032_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-02189000-1398510073_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-97401600-1398510109_thumb.jp

Archived