LZ IV/Black Dog intro

This thread is getting off-topic. I love "Four Sticks" to death, but the OP wasn't asking about that song or even your thoughts about Led Zeppelin IV as a whole. He was asking your thoughts about his theory that Jimmy purposely put the noises that begin the album because as "Master of the group" he couldn't bear having Robert's voice be the first thing listeners heard.

Daffy or not, let's try to keep the discussion on-track.

I wouldn't go as far to say Jimmy couldn't "bear" Rob's vocals starting, I'm speculating Jimmy had to put a "stamp" on the lp from the get go.

This is more "conspiracy thinking" here!!...But the order of the Runes are Jimmy,Jones,Bonham,Plant. Perhaps THIS is the internal ranking of musical adepts??

If so, I correct myself when I first stated Bonzo was after Percy!!

• 4 weeks later...

Haha Yeah, sure Jimmy was the leader of the band- we all know he was a perfectionist. But there's perfectionism, then there's just pettiness! Chances are Jimmy felt the song needed some sort of lead-in. And without having a riff at hand to fit the bill, he was happy enough to use a few sounds caught in the recordings whilst they were warming up.

Your theories are all very interesting, but I think that it happened with Zeppelin so often, that it's hard to believe he played it on purpose or that he left it in with a purpose, but we will never know unless he tells us!

Page added that little intro so when the listener hears it come on the radio, he or she has that second to think or say 'hell yeah! Some Zep!!' and turn it up!! hahaha! I thought it was awesome when they used Out On The Tiles for the intro live, great choice.

Archived