i would like to ask Jimmy Page re: Bonhams Footage.....

z1inspector

• 9 months later...

surprized their arent more questions that people would want to ask a member of ZEP!

I STILL think this is a great topic!

i maybe would like to ask JPJ about what he thought about what him & robert came up with on in through the out door?

what he wasnt too sure about, or what just felt rite or came together ,or even their overall mood at the time?

what would YOU ASK?

what would YOU ASK?

Many of the questions I can think of probably cannot even be answered by the band members on account of hazy recollections, etc.

It is known JPJ's father, Joe Baldwin, was a pianist and arranger for big bands in the 1940s and '50s. I've always wondered if there is a discography of some sort for Mr. Baldwin's work as I would like to hear and collect those recordings.

Getting off topic re: Nash the Slash, but... He also shot some great pics of Zep at the Rockpile, 8-18-69. Though, he made it clear that he was no Zep fan, when I was in touch with him..... :wacko:

toronto_8-18-69_rockpile.jpg

I would bet that Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee were in this line to see Led Zeppelin in Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of the questions I can think of probably cannot even be answered by the band members on account of hazy recollections, etc.

It is known JPJ's father, Joe Baldwin, was a pianist and arranger for big bands in the 1940s and '50s. I've always wondered if there is a discography of some sort for Mr. Baldwin's work as I would like to hear and collect those recordings.

I bet JPJ would appreciate that question!

likely, guess it depends on how much Zep got to canada, I wonder if the 2 Rush boys that were in school together can recall?

This from Geddy Lee:

I saw them in Toronto at a little place called the Rockpile. We were in the second row, and when they played this song (How Many More Times) it just blew me away. It reaffirmed for me all the creative potential in blending hard rock with progressive music. John Paul Jones was the unsung hero in that band.

What bass player of that period didn’t know how to play that riff? I still jam to it sometimes at soundchecks.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/17/2014 at 9:41 PM, The Rover said:

In an ideal world, there would have been a dedicated camera shot on each of the members, and a complete stage shot. The fantasy sequences were planned, I don't think they were created to fill performance gaps. The concerts were filmed over three nights. There wouldn't be so many gaps to have to create fantasy sequences to cover that up...

Anyway, with a dedicated camera shot on each of the members, each fan could have the oppourtunity to focus in on each band member individually, or the group as a whole.

Let the main film be there with all the quick cuts for general public. And let the rest of fans focus on whatever member they choose. Now, with DVDs/Blu-rays, there could enough room for those "extra" camera angles on any concert film.

That's a great idea wish Jimmy would put that out there ,surely  more footage of Bonham exists I'm just dying to see the rest of the drum solo.

Edited by z1inspector
Spelling

3 hours ago, z1inspector said:

That's a great idea wish Jimmy would put that out there ,surely  more footage of Bonham exists I'm just dying to see the rest of the drum solo.

It's a no-brainer.... but people like to get "cute" when filming concerts for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

I would ask JPJ if he ever wished that he had played more keys during the live shows, just to fill in the middle.  NEVER listen to live Zep on a cheap system as the bottom disappears. 

We've had numerous threads on this topic, but would like to get it straight from Jimmy, what was the 80's Part 1 set list going to be?

Would like to put a number of set list questions to him:

Why was Dazed dropped in 77?
Why was White Summer/BMS brought back and retained in 79/80? (not accepting 'why not' as the answer)
Why reach all the way back to Train as the 1980 opener? (ditto ^^)
Was there concern that by 1980 the lion's share of the set was material over 6 years old (based on date recorded)?
How much longer could you have expected to rely heavily on material from PG and prior?

Mostly questions from Zeppelin's later years, yes, but so many more could be asked about all eras.

It was my hope that Carouselambra would be played on the 1980-81US Tour. I was willing for them to drop any song they had played previously, with the exception of Kashmir, which, for me, was THE show-stopper on the '77 Tour.

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

It was my hope that Carouselambra would be played on the 1980-81US Tour. I was willing for them to drop any song they had played previously, with the exception of Kashmir, which, for me, was THE show-stopper on the '77 Tour.

No doubt. I've been listening to the '80 tour. It's noteworthy that Kashmir became the last song before Stairway and Achilles was moved up. Not that Achilles is any slouch, but between those two tracks, Kashmir outshone ALS.

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 1:07 PM, Zep Hed said:

We've had numerous threads on this topic, but would like to get it straight from Jimmy, what was the 80's Part 1 set list going to be?

Would like to put a number of set list questions to him:

Why was Dazed dropped in 77?
Why was White Summer/BMS brought back and retained in 79/80? (not accepting 'why not' as the answer)
Why reach all the way back to Train as the 1980 opener? (ditto ^^)
Was there concern that by 1980 the lion's share of the set was material over 6 years old (based on date recorded)?
How much longer could you have expected to rely heavily on material from PG and prior?

Mostly questions from Zeppelin's later years, yes, but so many more could be asked about all eras.

Yea really WHY TRAIN? Absolutly unnecessary ,nobody wants to hear them do that number! Yet it popped up again at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reunion.

Zep head THATS amazing! One things for sure....youve givin this ALOT of thought! Lol

Dam good questions, love to hear more of them

On 5/20/2020 at 9:01 AM, rose62 said:

I would ask JPJ if he ever wished that he had played more keys during the live shows, just to fill in the middle.  NEVER listen to live Zep on a cheap system as the bottom disappears. 

Maybe kinda like purple had John Lord always keeping things full sounding live. But i know what you mean.

On 3/19/2015 at 10:38 PM, SteveAJones said:

This from Geddy Lee:

I saw them in Toronto at a little place called the Rockpile. We were in the second row, and when they played this song (How Many More Times) it just blew me away. It reaffirmed for me all the creative potential in blending hard rock with progressive music. John Paul Jones was the unsung hero in that band.

What bass player of that period didn’t know how to play that riff? I still jam to it sometimes at soundchecks.

Absolutely great quote! Re' JOHN PAUL JONES  from GEDDY LEE!