Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Zep Fanatic

Going to California

Does anyone know the inspiration behind this song?
California by Joanie Mitchell.

Musically, it's totally different, but the spirit of actually going to California is there. I think this is why he calls "Joanie" during this song on HTWWW.

Does anyone know the inspiration behind this song?

i know that california was the place they looked foward to the most when they toured the US . apparently better parties better drugs and hotter groupies! thats why they were going to california with an acheing in there hearts !!!

i know that california was the place they looked foward to the most when they toured the US . apparently better parties better drugs and hotter groupies! thats why they were going to california with an acheing in there hearts !!!

Zepsteve thanks!

The only problem with this theory is that Mitchell's song was released after GTC was recorded.

I always thought the song had to do with that love that always seemed to get away and maybe going to California was the place to escape the pain. But that's strictly my opinion. It's one of my favorite songs, whatever its meaning.

Musically, it's totally different, but the spirit of actually going to California is there. I think this is why he calls "Joanie" during this song on HTWWW.

I had also heard that Joni Mitchell was the inspiration for "Going to California." I also remember hearing that Robert and Jimmy were captivated by Joni and, yes, Robert did say "Joni" when he performed the song live. I also heard that they did cross paths with one another during the band's early day's in LA (late '60s) when they frequented the same clubs. Joni has said in interviews that the members of Led Zeppelin were fans of her songs and, because of that, she attracted male fans who would not otherwise have listened to her music.

The only problem with this theory is that Mitchell's song was released after GTC was recorded.
Blue-Joanie Mutchell-Released March 1971

Fourth Album-Released November 1971

Hey, I could be wrong, but I think these dates are correct.

Joni Mitchell was the inspiration for this song, Robert was (still is?) a big fan, and once said he would like to sing with her.

I wonder if he checked out her art exhibit she recently had.