DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

It was amazing, we had a lightning storm which lasted for 6 hours last night, I have never witnessed anything like it before. Took a bunch of pictures will post them in the coming days. Thursday night I fell asleep outside watching the stars, and the odd shooting star. It was awesome. Hope everyone is having a great summer!

That can't be directed at me can it? I'm not a racist, I just don't believe I have anything to be guilty about because of the color of skin I was born with.

Sigh...did you read the entire article? It seemed obvious to me that the author didn't feel guilty because he is white. He felt guilty because the odd racist thought still pops into his head even after years of working to overcome the casual racism he absorbed while growing up. Believe it or not, rare individuals rose above and overcame the common prejudices of their era and societies. It could be done but most people just didn't bother.

Edited by Disco Duck

I think my Chocolate Lab might not be around much longer, he seems much more tired and lazy lately. Not sure if it's the heat or his age. Whenever his day comes, I'm not getting another one. He was last man standing so speak. I make sure either or someone walks him 2 times a day, but his energy levels are down. Kinda sucks.

sooner or later the things on which used to set you free don't do it anymore. I`ve even bigger piles of books, magazines, dvd`s, vinyl`s and cd`s to read/listen too! its getting out of hand lol. if only there where more hours in a day. cannot put my finger on the root of the problem but its there I now...families you cannot help being wrong about. but friends maybe not so easy, as you`d like to thing but this isn't the first time I`ll having been here but I`ve stop making newer friendships now....

post-25738-0-70840200-1440680861_thumb.j

post-25738-0-30617000-1440680875.png

post-25738-0-99477400-1440680892.jpg

post-25738-0-69423100-1440680957.png

sooner or later the things on which used to set you free don't do it anymore. I`ve even bigger piles of books, magazines, dvd`s, vinyl`s and cd`s to read/listen too! its getting out of hand lol. if only there where more hours in a day. cannot put my finger on the root of the problem but its there I now...families you cannot help being wrong about. but friends maybe not so easy, as you`d like to thing but this isn't the first time I`ll having been here but I`ve stop making newer friendships now....

I have spent years asking myself similar questions: How the fuck can I put so much of my heart and mind into a what is really by all accounts of the general public a total waste of time -

Do I really need 2000 albums on various formats?

Won't putting it on USB sticks suffice?

I still don't have an answer to that question

It is normal to find comfort and warmth from walking into a used record store? Of course not, but yet that is what happens when I walk in every single fucking time.

Is it normal to find comfort and warmth from staring at album cover art and reading liner notes? Of course not, but I do it anyways.

Why did I collect things? I actually threw most of the posters/shirts/mugs and so on out because my wife, kids, and friends thought it was odd that I would have so many music magazines, biographies/autobiographies, and music related stuff around the house. Howard Stern discussed it at length one time and pointed out that he felt it was connected to some sort of stress of childhood where these things act as a comfort blanket so speak. I think he was right.

Like, did I really need keep EVERY SINGLE ticket stub from EVERY SINGLE gig I ever attended? Of course not. I threw the shit out a couple of years ago.

It's not normal, and I know it's not normal, and yet it's a constant struggle. For example, over the last 12 months I have attended a number of gigs, and kept the ticket stubs again, and I know I need to throw them in the bin, and will do it today but it will bother me when I throw them out.

I even attended the funeral of a fellow who owned a used record store once.

It's a mental disorder, an addiction and it bothers me that I have it. When I take photographs, I think of what music would go with such and such a photograph. When I write articles from time to time that get published, I always include a link to a song which I think gets the point across which I'm trying to convey in my writings. When I watch a movie, I always analyze the soundtrack – to see if it makes sense to me, Tarentino gives fits of frustration by the way because of the music he puts in his movies, I spend more time thinking of the links to the script that the music provides.

The flip side is it could be a cocaine or booze or cigs addiction, but it bothers me that I have it.

Edited by Charles J. White

I have spent years asking myself similar questions: How the fuck can I put so much of my heart and mind into a what is really by all accounts of the general public a total waste of time -

Do I really need 2000 albums on various formats?

Won't putting it on USB sticks suffice?

I still don't have an answer to that question

It is normal to find comfort and warmth from walking into a used record store? Of course not, but yet that is what happens when I walk in every single fucking time.

Is it normal to find comfort and warmth from staring at album cover art and reading liner notes? Of course not, but I do it anyways.

Why did I collect things? I actually threw most of the posters/shirts/mugs and so on out because my wife, kids, and friends thought it was odd that I would have so many music magazines, biographies/autobiographies, and music related stuff around the house. Howard Stern discussed it at length one time and pointed out that he felt it was connected to some sort of stress of childhood where these things act as a comfort blanket so speak. I think he was right.

Like, did I really need keep EVERY SINGLE ticket stub from EVERY SINGLE gig I ever attended? Of course not. I threw the shit out a couple of years ago.

It's not normal, and I know it's not normal, and yet it's a constant struggle. For example, over the last 12 months I have attended a number of gigs, and kept the ticket stubs again, and I know I need to throw them in the bin, and will do it today but it will bother me when I throw them out.

I even attended the funeral of a fellow who owned a used record store once.

It's a mental disorder, an addiction and it bothers me that I have it. When I take photographs, I think of what music would go with such and such a photograph. When I write articles from time to time that get published, I always include a link to a song which I think gets the point across which I'm trying to convey in my writings. When I watch a movie, I always analyze the soundtrack – to see if it makes sense to me, Tarentino gives fits of frustration by the way because of the music he puts in his movies, I spend more time thinking of the links to the script that the music provides.

The flip side is it could be a cocaine or booze or cigs addiction, but it bothers me that I have it.

Collecting, sharing, enjoying music on your own terms is a waste of time?

If you have to wonder whether your love for music and how you celebrate and share it is valid, you’re obviously experiencing it on a very shallow level. Nothing in this world could make me question the effect music has on me and it's importance in my day to day life.

It’s not deep thinking. Either you feel it and believe in it or you don’t. And you do what it takes to experience it.

Second guessing yourself, for years, because of what you perceive the general public and Howard Stern to value is, on the other hand, a red flag.

If you have to wonder whether your love for music and how you celebrate and share it is valid, you’re obviously experiencing it on a very shallow level. Nothing in this world could make me question the effect music has on me and it's importance in my day to day life.

It’s not deep thinking. Either you feel it and believe in it or you don’t. And you do what it takes to experience it.

Second guessing yourself, for years, because of what you perceive the general public and Howard Stern to value is, on the other hand, a red flag.

well yes toa poin

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, why can't I put it all on USB sticks? Do I need use up a room storing music?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, do I really need t-shirts, hats, mugs, belt buckles to go with it?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, do I really need to memorize liner notes?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, why do I seek out used record stores as one of the few forms of general happiness in my life?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, do I really need to seek out biographies and autobiographies to enjoy the music?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, why is that the album cover art is almost as important as the music to me?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, do I really need to write online reviews of various used record stores in North America so that other people with the same issue can find comfort in it?

The enjoying and sharing of music is NOT the issue - the issue is, do I really need buy a program from every gig I have attended? Did I really need to keep every single ticket stub?

I know I have a problem, I know I have a big problem because others look at me funny when they walk in my man cave or they walk in my office, or they see me walking into used record stores (and the look on there face is, "I wonder what his problem is")

Will I really have a bad day if I miss Randy Bachman's radio show? Or Joe Ellilott's show? Or Alice Cooper's show? or the Patcast? Of course not, but I insist that whatever it is that I'm doing no matter where I am come to a stop so I can find a quiet place to sit and listen to these fucking shows for an hour or 2. I mean I can be skiing on a double black diamond run on a pure power day with dream conditions and like clock-work in the middle of a Saturday I will walk into the lodge and listen to a radio show for a hour all in the hope that I might discover some new music, or remember some golden nugget which is seldom if ever played on the radio.

I'm actually starting to feel guilty now because bands and musicians are doing boat cruises now, and I feel like maybe I need to be part of these things; my son looked at me and said, "Dad you are not going on the Train cruise are you?" at which point my wife loudly laughed "don't worry, he is going on the Def Leppard cruise instead". I know there is something wrong with me.

And I'm not even saying it's a bad problem, but it's a problem that seems to inflict a rather small part of the population who otherwise are normal people. I have spent years trying to figure it out, and I don't have an answer to any of it.

Anyways rant off, I have work to get done - enjoy your day!

well its a lot slower on the seeking employment this time around been to 7/9 interview only to be told I`m ever to old/knowledge to much...what a load of bollocks. they didn't use the age card it was sorry your not what we are looking for hmm...still sometimes you`ve gotten to dig in deep and keep going, its still the same pies of to read/listen here...then what`s new then. the seeking of knowledge too! is still strong has ever which is a fabulous pass time...I`ve been asked should anyone whom listens to Zepppelin also listen too another form of music, well to me the answers simply YES...but to other its ???????...the other anti bollocks is what we in the UK call jobseekers anyone whom as had the horror of going through it knows what I`m trying to say...there`s unhappiness within nothingness which is how they make you feel your nothingness...but thankfully I`ve Forums/Books/Magazines/Motorcycle/Friends and MUSIC...so bollocks to them all...today hoping to look around local records fair anther joyful pass time lol...right on...never stay down jump up dust down and move along...

post-25738-0-39083500-1440915821_thumb.j

post-25738-0-59653100-1440915838_thumb.j

post-25738-0-32778000-1440915871.png