DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Why can't anyone make a can opener that works for more than a week?

Manual?  I have one that's about a hundred years old and don't know what brand it is, but I've always had good luck with Oxo.  Like this one. 

A can opener that works

If you're asking about an electric one, I have no idea. 

^^I wanted to get the as seen on tv safety can express, but after watching this video I've decided against it. I'll just stick with my hand held can opener. I've practically given up on electric can openers.

Edited by luvlz2

On 12/17/2020 at 4:24 PM, ebk said:

Manual?  I have one that's about a hundred years old and don't know what brand it is, but I've always had good luck with Oxo.  Like this one. 

A can opener that works

If you're asking about an electric one, I have no idea. 

Yep. Manual is what I am talking about. I've got a KitchenAid and a Sharper Image and both worked well for a few weeks but then started crapping out. I used to have an old all-metal can opener that worked for years but it disappeared during a move.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, redrum said:

I know what you mean.

P-38 U.S. Military "John Wayne" Survival Can Opener - YouTube

They would work better than these new-fangled ones today.

16 minutes ago, Strider said:

Yep. Manual is what I am talking about. I've got a KitchenAid and a Sharper Image and both worked well for a few weeks but then started crapping out. I used to have an old all-metal can opener that worked for years but it disappeared during a move.

They would work better than these new-fangled ones today.

I know. I have a piece of junk one too. I remember this one as a kid.

Amazon.com: Chef Old fashioned Can, Bottle Opener & Corkscrew: Home &  Kitchen

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Do you not have cans that have a ring pull. Jees I thought we were behind the times?

I believe Strider is referring to canned goods such as soup, veggies, chili, etc. In the States most of those need a can opener but some of the higher end products come in glass jars with twist off lids.

Personally, I like to open those with a gun too. That way I am reducing calories due to spillage, however, the glass or metal fragments in me food can be a real bummer. Ouch!

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

OIP.jpg.e4e79ef4c7257e193b08dead968905f9.jpg

You don't have things like this? Nearly all our tins, like soup, beans and tinned Veg are in these. No need for an opener

A lot of our canned stuff doesn't have that top, but glad my cat food has the pull top.

Friskies Tasty Treasures Pate Turkey & Chicken Dinner Canned Cat Food —  Concord Pet Foods & Supplies| Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland