DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

I finally had enough and cut the cord last month...funny thing was, Direct TV didn't even try to woo me back!  SCREW 'EM!  I had a friend jailbreak an Amazon Fire Cube for me - I have access to almost any TV show or movie out there - including movies currently in the (handful of) theaters.  I have a cheap over-the air antenna that pulls in 40 channels - including all the Denver local channels and METV (which DIrectTV didn't even supply).  So now, for the price of a VPN (about $3.00/month) I have MORE programming than I had with Direct TV and no problems with channels dropping, service being disrupted every time a cloud blew over and no more fee increases while taking away more channels.

I should have done it years ago!

On 2/2/2021 at 2:56 PM, chillumpuffer said:

The endless mutations of this Virus is very worrying. I fear we maybe housebound for a very long time. 

Indeed, I think we can write the rest of this year off, I fear most of 2022 also. 2023 before normality hopefully returns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 2:33 PM, paul carruthers said:

I honestly don't know if I want to watch the Super Bowl. Watching Brady get ring #7 could make me ill & I'm already in the dumps thanks to the damn Dodgers....

😒

What superbowl? There was a superbowl?

Does anyone still tune into the NFL?

I thought pro football contests had been replaced with which complaining rich baby could strike the best pose while kneeling?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is there still a British Royal Family? The institution became irrelevant once Edward VIII abdicated as far as I am concerned. The whole Edward VIII scandal proved and exposed all the problems with a constitutional monarchy and how it serves no purpose any longer, but is actually a detriment to all involved.

A sovereign with no political power makes as much sense as a bull with tits except the bull can at least be eaten (now there's a thought). I have no problem with the Royal Family per se, but the state paying for all their stuff when they (Royal Family) is unofficially the wealthiest family on the planet is Ludacris. They have evolved into a drama factory and nothing else. I feel sorry for them actually as a gilded cage is still a cage. If I were Harry & Meghan I would have done the same however they should not have done the interview. These people all know how this system works yet the ones who choose to marry in to it then get upset its not like being a Disney Prince or Princess. This is nothing new but since Eddie it has been front and center. One disgrace after another and typically for the same reason.

Just let them keep their titles but completely remove them from the system, kick them out of Buckingham Palace, and let them live normal lives at their own expense.

Such nonsense. I am trying to think of a single royal who is not a complete twat and I really cannot. History just keeps repeating itself with these people yet they never learn, just bitch about the system. One would think with Philip, Charles, Margaret, and Anne they would be somewhat sympathetic to Harry's situation but nope, another round of here we go again.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:55 AM, BobDobbs said:

however they should not have done the interview

That's what I was thinking. Fucking privileged whingers. Is there anything more annoying? Not saying they don't have legit gripes, I don't personally know them or their lives - like everyone else - so who knows if they have it tough, and who cares? What I do know is, take your lumps and get on with your life ffs. Not many people on this planet have it "easy". We all get to deal with shit that is unwarranted/unfair/fucked up. Just deal with it. Fucking bullshit interview with Oprah being billed like it's the No.1 thing out there. Who gives a fuck?

10 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

That's what I was thinking. Fucking privileged whingers. Is there anything more annoying? Not saying they don't have legit gripes, I don't personally know them or their lives - like everyone else - so who knows if they have it tough, and who cares? What I do know is, take your lumps and get on with your life ffs. Not many people on this planet have it "easy". We all get to deal with shit that is unwarranted/unfair/fucked up. Just deal with it. Fucking bullshit interview with Oprah being billed like it's the No.1 thing out there. Who gives a fuck?

No doubt, the whole situation is plain stupid. Edward VIII went through this, Philip went through this, Margaret, Charles, Ann, all of them had the same damn gripes but none of them seem to care. I don't care either as the whole institution is just stupid being the 21st century. A monarch who has no ruling or governmental duties??? Then what is the point? Talk about a waste of money.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:15 AM, Stryder1978 said:

I finally had enough and cut the cord last month...funny thing was, Direct TV didn't even try to woo me back!  SCREW 'EM!  I had a friend jailbreak an Amazon Fire Cube for me - I have access to almost any TV show or movie out there - including movies currently in the (handful of) theaters.  I have a cheap over-the air antenna that pulls in 40 channels - including all the Denver local channels and METV (which DIrectTV didn't even supply).  So now, for the price of a VPN (about $3.00/month) I have MORE programming than I had with Direct TV and no problems with channels dropping, service being disrupted every time a cloud blew over and no more fee increases while taking away more channels.

I should have done it years ago!

I took me far too long to cut the cord too.  Used to have Time Warner and every year or so I would call and complain about the creeping price increases, and they would lower the price, and then maybe throw in HBO for something for free for 6 months, so I stayed with then. Then Time Warner sold to Spectrum and Spectrum would not play ball, wouldn't budge a nickle. So then I switched to Frontier (which is fiber optic) and they were about $40 less per month for basically the same thing I had at Spectrum, plus they threw in a $400 gift card to Amazon which they said the would send out after 6 months of service.

Frontier was  a TOTAL DISASTER.  For one, they screwed up porting my old phone number to the new service, and then I ended up with TWO Frontier accounts being charged to me. Get that!  Two accounts being billed to TWO phone numbers. I only had one phone line, and one cable tv hook up, and one internet hook up.  And to make it worse, the 2nd account was being billed at the highest rate possible, so I would get one bill each month for $89 (the price of the original package deal), and another bill for $300 per month.

I brought it to their attention right away; someone said they would correct it, and they never did. So, I would pay the on bill and ignore the other. And each month there were 10 phone calls to 10 people trying to clear it up, and nothing happened, and eventually I started getting collection notices on the 2nd account, and threats to screw with my credit rating.

This took 8 month to clear up, until finally I got a sympathetic person who was able to fix it, and also send the $400 Amazon gift card.  As soon as I got that, I disconnected all of the Frontier CRAP and put it in a box on the front porch and called them to pick up their shit. Which they never did so I sent it to e-waste.

After that I went to back to Spectrum but just for internet and now steam everything. I bought a Roku for my two TVs because I like the software and interface better than what comes with the smart TV, and also upgraded and bought my own router (mesh router) and everything works great.

I opted to pay for YoutubeTV ($65 per month) because it provides everything I want, plus all of the local channels.  I don't like to use the antennae set up.  I also have Amazon Prime because I shop a lot from home, so I get that TV content as well.  And every 6 months I'll do a Netflix subscription to binge watch some stuff, and then cancel the subscription, switch to HBO or 6 months and what their content, and then back to Netflix.  My deal isn't dirt cheap, but much cheaper than cable tv.  Plus I like YoutubeTv free unlimited cloud DVR.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:55 PM, BobDobbs said:

Why is there still a British Royal Family? The institution became irrelevant once Edward VIII abdicated as far as I am concerned. The whole Edward VIII scandal proved and exposed all the problems with a constitutional monarchy and how it serves no purpose any longer, but is actually a detriment to all involved.

A sovereign with no political power makes as much sense as a bull with tits except the bull can at least be eaten (now there's a thought). I have no problem with the Royal Family per se, but the state paying for all their stuff when they (Royal Family) is unofficially the wealthiest family on the planet is Ludacris. They have evolved into a drama factory and nothing else. I feel sorry for them actually as a gilded cage is still a cage. If I were Harry & Meghan I would have done the same however they should not have done the interview. These people all know how this system works yet the ones who choose to marry in to it then get upset its not like being a Disney Prince or Princess. This is nothing new but since Eddie it has been front and center. One disgrace after another and typically for the same reason.

Just let them keep their titles but completely remove them from the system, kick them out of Buckingham Palace, and let them live normal lives at their own expense.

Such nonsense. I am trying to think of a single royal who is not a complete twat and I really cannot. History just keeps repeating itself with these people yet they never learn, just bitch about the system. One would think with Philip, Charles, Margaret, and Anne they would be somewhat sympathetic to Harry's situation but nope, another round of here we go again.

I've said the same thing too for years.  The only reason I could figure why the British keep this inbred clown show is because they make tourist dollars from foreign visitors to come see the Tower of London and the Buckingham Palace.  Britain's version of our Disney world with castles and princesses.

The French don't have a royal problem. They "fired" their monarchs a few centuries ago.

9 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

A monarch who has no ruling or governmental duties??? Then what is the point?

That's what the Carolingians said when they petitioned the Pope to remove the Merovingians and make them kings of Francia! 😆

10 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

No doubt, the whole situation is plain stupid. Edward VIII went through this, Philip went through this, Margaret, Charles, Ann, all of them had the same damn gripes but none of them seem to care. I don't care either as the whole institution is just stupid being the 21st century. A monarch who has no ruling or governmental duties??? Then what is the point? Talk about a waste of money.

The worst part is this entire thing had me in complete agreeance with Piers Morgan. Piers fucking Morgan! Fuck me. Look what you did you bullshit tabloid nothingness "story"!!!! :wall:

6 hours ago, Brigante said:

That's what the Carolingians said when they petitioned the Pope to remove the Merovingians and make them kings of Francia! 😆

But that's because the Merovingians were descendent from Jesus and Mary Magdalene you know 🙂 

Those wacky Carolingians would up taking over by force anyway. Pepin the Short may have been short but he was also OG! 

28 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Jesus and Mary Magdalene? About as likely as Merovech's mam shagging that sea monster, eh! 😄

No doubt. I was referencing a book called Holy Blood, Holy Grail which came out in the early 80's claiming such. Also claimed the Knights Templar were also part of all this and that they never really completely were purged in the 14th century. Instead the remaining Templars supposedly "reformed" as the Illuminati. This book was also Dan Brown's inspiration for several of his books.

The stuff people come up with and the people who blindly believe it.

Yes, indeed. I thought it was hilarious when the authors tried to sue Dan Brown for stealing their ideas, but because they'd presented Holy Blood as a factual book the judge said it was legitimate source material for a fictional work! Brilliant - if they'd fessed up from the start that it was hogwash, they'd've stung Brown for plenty. Almost karmic! Ere, Professor Ian Wood, author of The Merovingian Kingdoms, was the external examiner for my MA dissertation - no pressure, then!

Edited by Brigante

Deep thinking about life this week. A former boss (and current high level manager) unexpectedly passed away. She was my boss for about 3 years and was one of the greatest humans I have ever met. Incredibly competent professional with a light, humorous touch. Supportive of her team, and just a brilliant manager and human. Not a bad bone in her body. Absolutely shocked everyone. It really does put you into a spin.

44 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Deep thinking about life this week. A former boss (and current high level manager) unexpectedly passed away. She was my boss for about 3 years and was one of the greatest humans I have ever met. Incredibly competent professional with a light, humorous touch. Supportive of her team, and just a brilliant manager and human. Not a bad bone in her body. Absolutely shocked everyone. It really does put you into a spin.

So sorry for your loss.  If there is one good thing to come out of it, is that she gave you one final life lesson.....live your life to the fullest!

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Sorry to hear this - I've met very, very few decent gaffers, let alone really good ones. All the arseholes in the world, but it's one of the rare good ones who goes? Fux sake. Sorry, man. 

Edited by Brigante