DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

On 3/17/2021 at 9:44 AM, Stryder1978 said:

I think they have to cut the checks for National Endowment for the Arts ($250 million) and the checks to the Democratic-led cities with failing pension plans ($500 million) out of that "Covid bill" first!

Let the peon's eat cake (if they can afford it)

11 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

YUMMY!!! I mean the lady, cake looks ok (more of a Bunt man myself).

Hmmmm, mmmmmm, gooood 🙂 

I've gotta watch the sugar and carbs. Hell, I could eat the whole cake display. 

boston_cremes1500x1168.jpg

Technology seems to be moving way too fast for the consumer. My camera operates at a different pixel level (or whatever) from my television. Now they have 8k televisions and 16k Crystal Led televisions are now available. It's just moving too fast man.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:29 PM, luvlz2 said:

Technology seems to be moving way too fast for the consumer. My camera operates at a different pixel level (or whatever) from my television. Now they have 8k televisions and 16k Crystal Led televisions are now available. It's just moving too fast man.

The funny part is such tech is actually useless because our eyes cannot even perceive detail at that level. If you have 4k you are good to go because that is the highest resolution the human eye can distinguish, anything higher just looks like 4k to us anyway. 

Man, I am happy with my 1080p TV I bought in 2007. 

On 3/25/2021 at 8:29 PM, luvlz2 said:

Yep, knew that was coming. The 24K's are probably already in the warehouse. 

Lads, lads, it's not compulsory to 'keep up', y'know - especially if it's an emperor's new clothes job and your eyes can't tell the difference between 4k and anything above it, anyway. Just say no - if you don't buy it, they'll stop making it. Mind you, it's like 2005 in my house, so don't listen to me...

Makes you go hmmmmmm....

When the mass shooting in Atlanta happened two weeks ago where a young white guy shot and killed 8 people including 6 Asian Americans, all you heard from the media was "racist",  "anti-Asian bias", "targeting people of Asian descent" and the subsequent rallies and protests.

Last week in Boulder when a young man of Middle Eastern descent shot and killed 10 people ALL of whom were Caucasian......crickets.

4 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Makes you go hmmmmmm....

When the mass shooting in Atlanta happened two weeks ago where a young white guy shot and killed 8 people including 6 Asian Americans, all you heard from the media was "racist",  "anti-Asian bias", "targeting people of Asian descent" and the subsequent rallies and protests.

Last week in Boulder when a young man of Middle Eastern descent shot and killed 10 people ALL of whom were Caucasian......crickets.

Crickets? Are you serious? I just put on the news and it was all over the place. This guy is getting just as much coverage as the Atlanta shooting. 

I do agree the media is placing cart before horse with the Atlanta shooting and anti-Asian spin. The guy was a Jesus loon, that was his problem. Instead of making this a racial thing, which IMO it was not, they should be calling out the true issue, religious fundamentalism and the destruction such stupid beliefs can have. This guy is no different than a Jonestown cult member.

The Boulder shooter appears to have just been plain old shithouse-rat crazy. He was Syrian by birth but reports say he was not a practicing Muslim. The guy had been on FBI's radar for some time due to his crazy--ass behaviors so IMO the failure here was that this loon was somehow able to get a gun (purchased a week prior to the shooting) even though he was on the FBI watch list.

I didn't mean crickets about the media not covering the Boulder story - hell, I'm in Colorado and it happened just down the road from me and it's hard to get ANY news that isn't related to the shooting. 

It was the ethnicity-bias angle that I was pondering.  In my opinion, it doesn't matter what ethnicity the shooter or the victims are - ANY shooter that decides to commit mass murder is bat shit crazy and should have been locked up before he/she was able to commit the crime. 

8 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I didn't mean crickets about the media not covering the Boulder story - hell, I'm in Colorado and it happened just down the road from me and it's hard to get ANY news that isn't related to the shooting. 

It was the ethnicity-bias angle that I was pondering.  In my opinion, it doesn't matter what ethnicity the shooter or the victims are - ANY shooter that decides to commit mass murder is bat shit crazy and should have been locked up before he/she was able to commit the crime. 

You get no argument from me. I wish we were back in the days when facts mattered more than reinforcing ones opinions. When that jackass in Atlanta killed those people I think it took about 12 hours to find out from his friends that he was no a racist but a religious nut. If it would have been Betty Crocker yankie his crankie at a massage parlor he would have taken her out along with Betsy Ross.

The Atlanta shooting was a textbook case of a loon with a gun motivated by his twisted religious beliefs. The questions no one is asking in this whole violence against Asians thing is the biggest perpetrators of that violence, the violence which goes unreported, is by fellow Asians. If people think the Mexican Coyotes are bad they have nothing on the Asian version of the same thing. I actually stopped frequenting several restaurants when I found out what was going on. Between Chinese restaurants, nail salons, and the massage parlors, these are used as front businesses for human trafficking. They bring these girls over and these girls then have to work as indentured servants until their debt is paid off however it is almost impossible to pay off that debt. They don't allow them to learn English, they live in apartments owned by the traffickers, and anything they eat plus rent is added to the bill. Just go into a nail salon for example. None of the ladies there speak English and there is always a man or woman in charge doing all the talking. Then try and tip them. As soon as you place tip in hand the "manager" runs up and takes it and if you say anything they say, "oh we just keep until end of shift," smile and quickly disappear. The police allow this to happen, the feds, everyone.

There is the real tragedy, a sick, twisted game of David Copperfield level illusion. Look over here at the wee bunny while we slip an elephant by you.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:32 AM, Brigante said:

Lads, lads, it's not compulsory to 'keep up', y'know - especially if it's an emperor's new clothes job and your eyes can't tell the difference between 4k and anything above it, anyway. Just say no - if you don't buy it, they'll stop making it. Mind you, it's like 2005 in my house, so don't listen to me...

:thumbsup: I do enjoy the tidbits of wisdom I occasionally see you post Brigante.

Hair on the human body. Why do we still have it? Why does the hair on ones head either thin out or fall out as we age? Why does thick, coarse hairs then decide to sprout out of ones nose & ears? Why? Does any of this make any sense?

I need to speak with the chaps in product development as the human body must have been made on a Monday after an all you can drink wedding reception & Quinceanera, ending with everyone dropping acid Sunday night.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 4/2/2021 at 2:47 PM, BobDobbs said:

Hair on the human body. Why do we still have it? Why does the hair on ones head either thin out or fall out as we age? Why does thick, coarse hairs then decide to sprout out of ones nose & ears? Why? Does any of this make any sense?

I need to speak with the chaps in product development as the human body must have been made on a Monday after an all you can drink wedding reception & Quinceanera, ending with everyone dropping acid Sunday night.

Why is it, every time I pick my nose, the boogers always come back? 

Pandemic-Sales-And-Marketing-Rant

7 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ I'm guessing 25 dollars could pay for 2 steak dinners back in 1946...  :)

2 steak dinners? More like four or five, plus two drinks each. My parents were married in 62' and after the wedding, my father took my mother out to one the best restaurants in Manhattan, the 21 Club in the Village. Total bill, soup to nuts including two drinks each was $21, $22.50 with tip.

Those were the days 

There's this great cat who comes around named Ernie and I feed him on the porch. I can't let him in as I have 2 males and the fur would be flyin'. He's sitting outside my window right now looking in. If I had a door on the bedroom I could lock the guys in there for a bit, but no can do right now. He's a young cat and did survive this crappy winter. I don't know where he comes from. 

ERNIE-3.jpg

6 hours ago, redrum said:

There's this great cat who comes around named Ernie and I feed him on the porch. I can't let him in as I have 2 males and the fur would be flyin'. He's sitting outside my window right now looking in. If I had a door on the bedroom I could lock the guys in there for a bit, but no can do right now. He's a young cat and did survive this crappy winter. I don't know where he comes from. 

ERNIE-3.jpg

What a beauty. 

9 hours ago, redrum said:

ERNIE-3.jpg

I used to have this old, chewed up silver tabby named Boo Boo Kitty. Cat's original name was Frank and he did look like a Frank as he was a street cat given to me my a girlfriend. Boo Boo's ears were chewed up from countless catfights and both of his lower fangs were broken off so when he yawned he looked like vampire kitty. Best cat I ever had, he was almost 30lbs of solid muscle and he came and went as he pleased. I would take him out for walks and he would stay right by my side, never strayed regardless of distraction. What was really funny is the neighborhood dogs would run like hell whenever they saw Boo, he was that badass he would go after dogs. Best cat ever, it was crazy as Boo always seemed to know what I was thinking, I never had to say a word to Boo, he just knew what to do.

I had Boo for two years when I found him under the bed, smelling bad with a yellow-ish discharge coming out of his nose. I rushed him to the vet who told me Boo was in renal failure and since he was at least 18 years old (vet estimate based on tooth wear) the vet wanted to put him down as a mercy. This was, without a doubt, the absolute most difficult thing I ever did in my life up to that point. I knew Boo was suffering and I knew Boo wanted to go but the thought almost broke me emotionally. Understand, up until Boo I was raised that domesticated animals were just animals, they die, they are just a silly cat / dog, what's the big deal? I found out the big deal as Boo had become trusted companion and friend. I was there when the vet put him down and I took him with me so I could bury him in my backyard. As I was walking to my car a woman came up and said, "awww, your kitty is sleeping?" That was it, I completely broke down, I literally could not speak I just started bawling pretty intensely. Poor woman realized her mistake and started apologizing but I just could not respond, I had to get the hell out of there.

And that was one of my first life lessons on the impact of loss. I was only in my mid-20's at the time and had not lost anyone close to me and here a silly cat's passing just crippled me. That was the LAST time I made fun of people who looked at their animals as friends and companions. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I have had to put down several animals (dogs & cats) over the years since and it has always been hard. Last time was almost two years ago with our dog Nikki, a 75lbs Golden-Doodle who was just a sweetheart. Saying goodbye to Nikki (she had cancer of the jaw) was devastating. I told my wife no new animals for a good year as I needed time to mourn the loss. My step-daughter then brought us a 6 week old Malti-Poo about a month later and damn was I PISSED! I was incensed with my step-daughter that she would have so little respect for my wishes. Again, another lesson I was gonna learn. That Malti-Poo is now almost two years old and next to my wife & mom is my best friend. She is like a combo of Boo Kitty & Nikki Dog rolled into one amazing companion. Just the best dog ever. Funny thing is I don't like small dogs. Nibbler (that's her name) was only supposed to be around 10lbs but she is 25lbs. of lean, solid muscle with these long legs and can run and move like a damn demon. So thank you Jess for knowing more about me and what I needed than I did.

So the lesson of this story is you never stop learning lessons and usually life gives you lessons in things you laugh at, or discount, or think are silly. So next time you ridicule another for whatever reason, thinking you are smarter, better, etc. watch out because life will pimp-slap you right upside the head by making you walk a mile in the shoes of those you ridicule, then, you will learn.

Edited by BobDobbs