DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I'm thinking about a late evening bowl of Crunch Berries--give the seafood a rest.... :D

Late-nite fish tacos, on Swami Beach with a bottle of good tequila, a bon fire, friends, and some green. Sharing good conversation and companionship with the sound of acoustic guitars and bongos in the background. Hearing the waves, feeling the salt water mist on your face, pungent in the air, giving the evening a bit of chill on a cloudless, starry night. While the dogs play in the sand and howl their longing to the moon.

Now that's my idea of paradise.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 4/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, BobDobbs said:

I used to have this old, chewed up silver tabby named Boo Boo Kitty. Cat's original name was Frank and he did look like a Frank as he was a street cat given to me my a girlfriend. Boo Boo's ears were chewed up from countless catfights and both of his lower fangs were broken off so when he yawned he looked like vampire kitty. Best cat I ever had, he was almost 30lbs of solid muscle and he came and went as he pleased. I would take him out for walks and he would stay right by my side, never strayed regardless of distraction. What was really funny is the neighborhood dogs would run like hell whenever they saw Boo, he was that badass he would go after dogs. Best cat ever, it was crazy as Boo always seemed to know what I was thinking, I never had to say a word to Boo, he just knew what to do.

I had Boo for two years when I found him under the bed, smelling bad with a yellow-ish discharge coming out of his nose. I rushed him to the vet who told me Boo was in renal failure and since he was at least 18 years old (vet estimate based on tooth wear) the vet wanted to put him down as a mercy. This was, without a doubt, the absolute most difficult thing I ever did in my life up to that point. I knew Boo was suffering and I knew Boo wanted to go but the thought almost broke me emotionally. Understand, up until Boo I was raised that domesticated animals were just animals, they die, they are just a silly cat / dog, what's the big deal? I found out the big deal as Boo had become trusted companion and friend. I was there when the vet put him down and I took him with me so I could bury him in my backyard. As I was walking to my car a woman came up and said, "awww, your kitty is sleeping?" That was it, I completely broke down, I literally could not speak I just started bawling pretty intensely. Poor woman realized her mistake and started apologizing but I just could not respond, I had to get the hell out of there.

And that was one of my first life lessons on the impact of loss. I was only in my mid-20's at the time and had not lost anyone close to me and here a silly cat's passing just crippled me. That was the LAST time I made fun of people who looked at their animals as friends and companions. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I have had to put down several animals (dogs & cats) over the years since and it has always been hard. Last time was almost two years ago with our dog Nikki, a 75lbs Golden-Doodle who was just a sweetheart. Saying goodbye to Nikki (she had cancer of the jaw) was devastating. I told my wife no new animals for a good year as I needed time to mourn the loss. My step-daughter then brought us a 6 week old Malti-Poo about a month later and damn was I PISSED! I was incensed with my step-daughter that she would have so little respect for my wishes. Again, another lesson I was gonna learn. That Malti-Poo is now almost two years old and next to my wife & mom is my best friend. She is like a combo of Boo Kitty & Nikki Dog rolled into one amazing companion. Just the best dog ever. Funny thing is I don't like small dogs. Nibbler (that's her name) was only supposed to be around 10lbs but she is 25lbs. of lean, solid muscle with these long legs and can run and move like a damn demon. So thank you Jess for knowing more about me and what I needed than I did.

So the lesson of this story is you never stop learning lessons and usually life gives you lessons in things you laugh at, or discount, or think are silly. So next time you ridicule another for whatever reason, thinking you are smarter, better, etc. watch out because life will pimp-slap you right upside the head by making you walk a mile in the shoes of those you ridicule, then, you will learn.

Great story. I was never really a cat person until my sister pawned off this scraggly kitten to me and he had a broken tail. I named him 'BT.' He was killed by a mean ass dog. I've had many ever since and had to put two down within a year of each other not too long ago. That really broke my heart. It never gets easier when you lose them. Just enjoy them for the short time they are here. This is 'The Admiral.' He's terrified of other people, but is so affectionate to me. 

ADMIRAL 2.jpg

13 hours ago, redrum said:

Great story. I was never really a cat person until my sister pawned off this scraggly kitten to me and he had a broken tail. I named him 'BT.' He was killed by a mean ass dog. I've had many ever since and had to put two down within a year of each other not too long ago. That really broke my heart. It never gets easier when you lose them. Just enjoy them for the short time they are here. This is 'The Admiral.' He's terrified of other people, but is so affectionate to me. 

ADMIRAL 2.jpg

That looks like one seriously contemplative kitty.

2 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Taxes are now done, what a relief, I'm glad it's over.

It's been over 2 months since I sent mine. Got a $400 refund coming, but they're sure taking their time about it. When you owe them they send out the dogs of war. 

8 hours ago, redrum said:

It's been over 2 months since I sent mine. Got a $400 refund coming, but they're sure taking their time about it. When you owe them they send out the dogs of war. 

Same here except I had to pay the fed $1,200. Prior to this new tax code me and the wife would get back between 2k - 3k yearly between the state and fed, now we always have to pay as most of the deductions we had were reduced to such a low level, or removed completely that I either have to cheat bigtime or take the standard deduction which results in us having to pay.

Thanks for nuthin.

15 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Same here except I had to pay the fed $1,200. Prior to this new tax code me and the wife would get back between 2k - 3k yearly between the state and fed, now we always have to pay as most of the deductions we had were reduced to such a low level, or removed completely that I either have to cheat bigtime or take the standard deduction which results in us having to pay.

Thanks for nuthin.

One time I had to pay them $5,000, only because I was single. 

They should have that on the tax form:

Line 50: Single? You're fucked! 

When I was still doing fieldwork, an American student came to dig with us in her holidays and I remember her trying to get to grips with the UK govt deducting income tax from your wages before you got paid, so there was no need to file taxes at the end of the year. But I mostly remember how her face fell when I told her just how much tax they were going to take and that they'd take National Insurance on top of that too! Ah well...

Edited by Brigante

11 hours ago, Brigante said:

When I was still doing fieldwork, an American student came to dig with us in her holidays and I remember her trying to get to grips with the UK govt deducting income tax from your wages before you got paid, so there was no need to file taxes at the end of the year. But I mostly remember how her face fell when I told her just how much tax they were going to take and that they'd take National Insurance on top of that too! Ah well...

They do the same here as all taxes are deducted from your payroll check. The difference is in the US YOU choose how much they take out based on the number of dependents you claim when you start work at a company. So, if you take zero deductions you should never have to pay anything at the end of the year, but many people take several hoping their deductions can offset the income. We also have our company sponsored health insurance deducted as well. In fact, after everything is taken into consideration including how much an individual pays for health insurance, the average US citizen pays about 10% more in overall taxes than the next highest country (Sweden I believe) except we in the US get less for our taxes, and what we do get is by far worse than what you get in other countries for much less. There have been several legislative bills presented, but never passed which would make filing annual taxes a thing of the past. It would require passing a new tax code eliminating most deductions and having people pay the rate based on income and then the IRS send you either a check for overpayment automatically, or a bill at the beginning of the year. It is always shot down due to the tax preparers lobby as Turbo Tax makes BILLIONS off of this nonsense which is completely unnecessary.

Just another scam IMO.

As soon as the weather recently changed this year to warmer, like three of my light bulbs went out on the same day. I think it happens at least 2-4 times a year when there is a big temperature change. These light bulbs for some reason can't handle big changes in temperature and I've spent hundreds of dollars on light bulbs because of this, whereas before (a law change about light bulbs) I would hardly spend five dollars on them per year. It bugs the shit out of me every time a light bulb breaks now I think about how the old light bulbs used to last for years.

Edited by luvlz2

20 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

As soon as the weather recently changed this year to warmer, like three of my light bulbs went out on the same day. I think it happens at least 2-4 times a year when there is a big temperature change. These light bulbs for some reason can't handle big changes in temperature and I've spent hundreds of dollars on light bulbs because of this, whereas before (a law change about light bulbs) I would hardly spend five dollars on them per year. It bugs the shit out of me every time a light bulb breaks now I think about how the old light bulbs used to last for years.

The tungsten nazi's. 

I was thinking about how little I know about the popular music of today & the current hits or who the flavor of the month is. I think my interest in the current music scene or newer rock and roll passed on with Scott Weiland & I believe the last album I ever bought that was from the 2000s was Clockwork Angels.

There might be some good music out there, but I wonder if I'm getting too old to branch out. I think I've gotten to the point where I just stick with what I know & rarely leave my comfort zone...

On 4/19/2021 at 3:31 PM, paul carruthers said:

I was thinking about how little I know about the popular music of today & the current hits or who the flavor of the month is. I think my interest in the current music scene or newer rock and roll passed on with Scott Weiland & I believe the last album I ever bought that was from the 2000s was Clockwork Angels.

There might be some good music out there, but I wonder if I'm getting too old to branch out. I think I've gotten to the point where I just stick with what I know & rarely leave my comfort zone...

Know what you mean about modern music. I s'pose you just have to wade through the bullshit to find the good stuff. I listen to a local station, KGRG (Grunge) and they do play some good songs now and then, but they never tell you who it is. They play a lot of the same bands over and over (especially Sound Garden), but also Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, U2???, REM, Alice In Chains, etc. gets old after a while and yesterday they shocked me by playing Brass In Pocket. They play this a lot. I like the steel drum. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Q_8q3XXrQ

So I listened to ALS and Kashmir from June 21 '77, and later that day, after a few very tasty craft beers and an even tastier bit of herb, Reo Speedwangon's Take it on the Run was playing on the radio and in my state I fully applied the 1977 Zep sound to the song. Imagining the fills Bonzo would be adding and how intense they would drive the song a.k.a Kashmir. Good lord it blew me away.

I am now deep thinking about how many other good songs turn into masterpieces when a Zep sound is applied. Early Zep, '75 Zep, whatever period, I am sure there are a ton of songs that are fun to fuse.

@porgie66 - Can you do Take it on the Run with a '77 insane sound? 😆

15 hours ago, rm2551 said:

So I listened to ALS and Kashmir from June 21 '77, and later that day, after a few very tasty craft beers and an even tastier bit of herb, Reo Speedwangon's Take it on the Run was playing on the radio and in my state I fully applied the 1977 Zep sound to the song. Imagining the fills Bonzo would be adding and how intense they would drive the song a.k.a Kashmir. Good lord it blew me away.

I am now deep thinking about how many other good songs turn into masterpieces when a Zep sound is applied. Early Zep, '75 Zep, whatever period, I am sure there are a ton of songs that are fun to fuse.

@porgie66 - Can you do Take it on the Run with a '77 insane sound? 😆

Just imagine Muskrat Love, Sentimental Lady, or Cool Change done ala Zeppelin 77' :witch: