Robert Plant slams idea of Zeppelin tour

mookieblaylock

Henley responds. Click the link for the interview since I can't figure out how to change the fonts in the quote on this ipad. Sorry.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11259648

Talking of Alison Krauss, Robert Plant said in Rolling Stone last week that the Eagles aren't out on the road for the money, you are out because you are bored.

Did he?

He was decrying the pressure for a Led Zeppelin reunion. I imagine you don't need the money - but are you bored?

No, I am never bored. The truth is, we enjoy doing it. It is hard work, especially for gentlemen of our age but the fact is it's a fantastic job and it's a wonderful way to make a living and see the world and get to travel and we take our kids with us.

I really wish [Led Zeppelin] would get back together because they were one of the greatest bands of all time. I think maybe Robert is worried about hitting those notes. He may not be able to unbutton his shirt any more.

Like Led Zep, the Eagles were a big band who didn't get much critical respect in their heyday.

We had that in common. But it doesn't matter now much does it?

When I was younger it really bothered me. But now it doesn't make any difference.

Henley responds. Click the link for the interview since I can't figure out how to change the fonts in the quote on this ipad. Sorry.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11259648

Talking of Alison Krauss, Robert Plant said in Rolling Stone last week that the Eagles aren't out on the road for the money, you are out because you are bored.

Did he?

He was decrying the pressure for a Led Zeppelin reunion. I imagine you don't need the money - but are you bored?

No, I am never bored. The truth is, we enjoy doing it. It is hard work, especially for gentlemen of our age but the fact is it's a fantastic job and it's a wonderful way to make a living and see the world and get to travel and we take our kids with us.

I really wish [Led Zeppelin] would get back together because they were one of the greatest bands of all time. I think maybe Robert is worried about hitting those notes. He may not be able to unbutton his shirt any more.

Like Led Zep, the Eagles were a big band who didn't get much critical respect in their heyday.

We had that in common. But it doesn't matter now much does it?

When I was younger it really bothered me. But now it doesn't make any difference.

Well played by Henley.

always difficult to take percy seriously considering his setlists are PRIMARILY led zeppelin tunes and not the massive haul of solo material he has amassed over the last 30+ years.

I get it, he doesn't want to deal with the massive scale and machinery and expectation that comes with playing with jones and page, clearly prefers the smaller audiences and lower expectations of his solo projects. What's annoying is how he'll imply that from a musical standpoint there wouldn't be anything new to do with Page and Jones, which to me is a load of bollocks because no one, and i mean no one, can tell you that the guys he's playing with are more talented overall musicians than the led zep boys. They could tackle any style and could likely play and embelish whatever arrangements the SS guys come up with better than the SS guys. just stating what seems to me to be abundantly obvious just given career arcs of these people.

always difficult to take percy seriously considering his setlists are PRIMARILY led zeppelin tunes and not the massive haul of solo material he has amassed over the last 30+ years.

I get it, he doesn't want to deal with the massive scale and machinery and expectation that comes with playing with jones and page, clearly prefers the smaller audiences and lower expectations of his solo projects. What's annoying is how he'll imply that from a musical standpoint there wouldn't be anything new to do with Page and Jones, which to me is a load of bollocks because no one, and i mean no one, can tell you that the guys he's playing with are more talented overall musicians than the led zep boys. They could tackle any style and could likely play and embelish whatever arrangements the SS guys come up with better than the SS guys. just stating what seems to me to be abundantly obvious just given career arcs of these people.

Agreed 100%!!!

Robert is Robert and his comments will always have that character to them: self deprecation, irony, a gentle way to position himself in a way which may sound appealing or contemptuous, depending on your viewpoint. What stands out though, as day after day there is more evidence of Jimmy's massive PR mission, is how slight the others' contributions have been. Robert did the BBC, Rolling Stone, and perhaps we'll hear more from him here and there. But it's not on a great scale, and we've yet to hear at all from JPJ. The contrast in their language is one thing, and they're each entitled to interpret things according to their take on those days ... but the simple act of a promotional effort is missing from two out of the three. After the (apparently) years of work Jimmy has put into this, the absence of the other two in giving it the final push looks so ungracious. It seems that the event in Paris is the most public one, the nearest to a launch event. I hope Jimmy has a ball, but it's a huge shame the others won't be there.

I'm hoping that JPJ will give his insight on LZ IV or ultimately on ITTOD.

I wouldn't read into it. This reminds me of those who analyzed Celebration Day press conference seating to determine the state of the band's inter-personal relationships.

Yes that was an arcane and futile exercise. After all, the three chairs were all occupied. Right now we have two empty chairs. A little easier to read.

I was told, which I can also see, that their absence has more to do with that Jimmy has everything, and was the producer while the rest were partying at the time. I hope Robert and Jonsey will particpate more in the upcoming sets.

I would imagine part of the reason JPJ and RP are absent is more to do with not building up peoples expectations of reformation, if the three of them were promoting and interviewing together it would just wind up the rumor mill once again.

I was told, which I can also see, that their absence has more to do with that Jimmy has everything, and was the producer while the rest were partying at the time. I hope Robert and Jonsey will particpate more in the upcoming sets.

Yes ( two fair points). But no...

This was Jimmy's project, just as maybe, ultimately, the band itself was Jimmy's project.

I find it hard, and saddening, to be so convinced as I am of the importance of these releases.. yet to find that JP's astonishing PR campaign is not backed up by the others ( though have to keep repeating, a little, here and there and pretty sparingly, from RP )

Much as I love beating about the bush and muddying the waters .. it's shoddy, ungracious and just massively disappointing actually.

Archived