new page interview

zosorose

It makes me happy to know he's still playing, whether it's for public consumption or personal enjoyment. It's been a while since we've heard anything fresh from him. It's very exciting to think what material he's got, where he is today as a guitarist, songwriter etc.

Sick of him saying this. I've given up hope.

He said in the article that he's been busy working with the Zeppelin stuff, now his time is free. Makes sense to me.

One thing I've noticed is that many people read these articles, yet fail to hear what they're 'saying'.

Sick of him saying this. I've given up hope. Anyone notice how he keeps going on about him eventually dying, what's up with that?

Yes, it is the same old same old.

Jimmy has always had an obsession with his own mortality, and there was a time when he went on and on and on about how he expected to be dead before the age of 40. He is clearly working on his legacy now, and I suspect that he is simply considering statistics, which would suggest that the average male of his age would spend 5 years in illness, and pass away at the age of 76. It must be a very daunting feeling to believe that you are in your last decade of life, in all probability.

Yeah, I wish he would play some music live again, but I really think we've seen the last of JP on a stage, unless he somehow gets RP or JPJ alongside him. More than likely for a one-off thing (like him and JPJ with Foo Fighters. Which, btw was awesome! Do more of that JP)!

It seems to me that you folks are basically calling Jimmy Page a liar...

I doubt that any one of us would call Jimmy a liar, because we love the man, but he has been highly unreliable as to his solo career for many years now, and has made annual "promises" that have gone unfulfilled. The bad is on Jimmy, and not those who have hung on his words, only to be disappointed, again and again. He owes us nothing, but it is his choice to repeatedly stoke the fire, and then not deliver.

I believe him but I wish he wouldn't be indecisive and would just commit to a plan to tour as a solo act or with Beck. Or at least put out an album of solo material or an ep, even if not supported by a tour.

He's been a bit commitment phobic it seems, perhaps because he's been waiting to see if Robert and John Paul and Jason would all come around at the same time.

I don't think his comments about death are morbid at all. He just seems like a person who is better than most at accepting the fact of mortality and who has spent his life living to the full in order to eventually face death without fear or regret.

I really wish he would write and release an autobiography before dying though. Because I really want to read the book but I don't want Jimmy to have to die in order for the book to become a reality!

i can't make any sense of the interview. He says he has ideas for performing that are too complex to just go out there and do. What could that mean, especially since he says he's written stuff for acoustic guitar. He's not sure who he would play with, but Jeff Beck wants to play with him, he likes Jeff Beck, and who wouldn't pay money to see that. It is quite confusing.

Also he is mistaken if he thinks he could avoid legal problems with a posthumous book. His estate could be sued. It's strange that he wouldn't know that with all the legal issues he's had to deal with.

I doubt that any one of us would call Jimmy a liar, because we love the man, but he has been highly unreliable as to his solo career for many years now, and has made annual "promises" that have gone unfulfilled. The bad is on Jimmy, and not those who have hung on his words, only to be disappointed, again and again. He owes us nothing, but it is his choice to repeatedly stoke the fire, and then not deliver.

You're saying he's being disingenuous at the very least. Lying, disingenuous, what's the difference? Also, what 'promises'?? And, the fans are at fault because a lot of them appear not to know how to just let things be.

I really wish he would write and release an autobiography before dying though. Because I really want to read the book but I don't want Jimmy to have to die in order for the book to become a reality!

I have always wished this. The photography book and the On This days are the next best thing. He told Mick Wall once that he thought it would get banned before it went on the shelves. This is not the first he has said this. I still feel he could tell everything better than anyone. He has always gone back and forth about a book. I guess its right up there as much as wanting him to fianlly release his own album. We'll just have to see, I guess. This is another reason why I wish he would write new OTDs for the website that no one else could.

You're saying he's being disingenuous at the very least. Lying, disingenuous, what's the difference? Also, what 'promises'?? And, the fans are at fault because a lot of them appear not to know how to just let things be.

You don't know what you're talking about. The act of lying requires two things: 1) stating words that are known to be untruthful, and 2) stating them with an intent to deceive. Stating words that are not intended to deceive does not constitute a lie. Jimmy is a procrastinator, and he makes solo career statements, probably half believing that he will actually fulfill them, but he never does, and a little research on your part should provide many examples of this with respect to his solo career.

He's still got 7 months to deliver on this one: Jimmy Page stated: "I've also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014."

And lest we forget the collaborative opus magnum that he has been talking about for 10 years.

Personally I think that Jimmy may well have the same obstacle that Velvet Revolver has and have had for years now - there just aren't many REALLY top class singers out there who are available. I don't see him making an instrumental album and I think he just can't face having any other singer than RP.

Maybe a debate on the ideal vocalist is in order?

Personally I think that Jimmy may well have the same obstacle that Velvet Revolver has and have had for years now - there just aren't many REALLY top class singers out there who are available. I don't see him making an instrumental album and I think he just can't face having any other singer than RP.

Maybe a debate on the ideal vocalist is in order?

If Jimmy could pull someone out of obscurity much like he did with RP might be the way to go...but could you imagine the pressure? If things went this route i would still love to see JPJ in the band... the light and shade worked the best between he and Jimmy... if this happened i imagine the only worthy drummer would be Jason ...the way he tunes the drums just like his father creates the only drum sound i would want to hear with a JP & JPJ song... plus force themselves to play new music no old stuff... i know this sounds crazy and would never work but i would hate for anyone to fill Roberts shoes... he plays zep tunes but save for lyrics are they really zep tunes? ... finally what would ya call it?

I would love to hear a Beck/Page album, that would be awesome. Page laying down the heavy, meaty riffs, and Beck adding all sorts of atmospheric noise to it! And they seriously respect the crap out of each other, they've known each other for like 60 years.

Like someone else said, ok skip the tour. But some new music would be very cool.

You don't know what you're talking about. The act of lying requires two things: 1) stating words that are known to be untruthful, and 2) stating them with an intent to deceive. Stating words that are not intended to deceive does not constitute a lie. Jimmy is a procrastinator, and he makes solo career statements, probably half believing that he will actually fulfill them, but he never does, and a little research on your part should provide many examples of this with respect to his solo career.

He's still got 7 months to deliver on this one: Jimmy Page stated: "I've also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014."

And lest we forget the collaborative opus magnum that he has been talking about for 10 years.

You were talking about unfulfilled promises, I was just curious as to which 'promises' you were talking about, because I can't remember which those are. Seems he's delivered on everything he's said for the past couple years, O2, remasters, etc.

"...7 months..." So you've got him on a deadline? That's nice...

Anyways, good discussion, thanks.

Regarding mortality....I believe his mother is still alive so she should be approaching 90 if not there already - so he does have genetics on his side!

At 70 he can do and say anything he wishes....god knows he's earned it, and before anyone says his "past lifestyle" might contribute to his demise....

Pinetop Perkins lived and played to age 97

John Lee Hooker to age 83

David " Honeyboy" Edwards to age 96 - and I was fortunate enough a few years ago to see Honeyboy play and meet him as well, He was in his early 90's and he was playing and singing up a storm.

And believe me those 3 men each had rougher lives than Jimmy Page.

Archived