Hells Kitchen/Restaurant Nightmares

Hotplant

Have you seen this show ?

Chef Gordon is a trip. Last week he tried to help this restaurant in Pomona, he did a great job for them, but they closed after he left.

I love watching him confront people over the disgusting conditions in some establishments.

And Hell's Kitchen was.....almost sado. :o

It beats Project Runway that I sometimes suffer through for daughter.

I've never missed an episode of Hell's Kitchen. I'm a cook, so I sort of relate. I'm on time constraints for quality food. It's tough sometimes. Really stressfull at times. But at the restaurant I work at now, I've never had a dish come back to me. Hell, I'd apply to go on Hell's Kitchen if it weren't for the fact that if I did screw something up and Ramsey jumped my shit I'd blow it completely. I NEVER let anybody talk to me like that. Even if I am wrong. And I admit my mistakes. Then correct them. But, on that show, there are no mulligans. Although I work better under pressure. So maybe I could pull it off.

On a side note. I have a VERY clean kitchen. I clean as I go. Managing time while cooking is essential. And blocking out all the minutia.

I can't really be arsed with Gordon Ramsay.

It's car crash TV I guess, and everyone watches.

He's as much a celebrity and television star/personality as he is a chef.

Here in the UK he does about three or four different shows almost consecutively

throughout the year. Where he finds the time to run a brace of restaurants and

raise four kids is anybodies guess.

He's from my home town - Glasgow.

Once played for Glasgow Rangers. (pre Bastard).

Raised turkeys in his garden last year before Christmas, and featured them on his show every

week. Up to and including their live, on air slaughter on the street in front of his house.

He did name all the birds after other TV chefs that he hates, Delia, Gary, Ainsley etc.

Which was good though.

I worked in a restauraunt pt. time when i was going to college and the attitudes could flare up in the hot kitchen and under pressure. I just washed dishes,did prep work,backed up the bar, so i got to observe how a restaurant works. That having a tough skin, is part of the restaurant business, the food side and the serving people side. It is an interesting tv show, the positive turn arounds are cool...but its always the same thing with the drama part, it could be done without all the insults/yelling. I understand the whole demanding excellance thing in the restaurant business, or any business... but that communication style could easily backfire for alot of people. In fact that show has had cases of where people are thinking they are managing their business, having personality/attitude problems, and they are actually hurting the business.

Haha...Ramsay rules.

Some of the one-liners he comes out with... :lol:

Remember the Fenwick Arms from Kitchen Nightmares?

clau12.jpg

Practically down the road.

Haha.

In the summer they were advertising for new waiting-on staff for when Gordon came back. I was *this close* to applying but then I chickened out. :lol:

Oh wow Chicken, you should have!

Didn't know he was from Glasgow, Blue.

No wonder he's such a smartass. :P;)

I've worked in the biz as they say, doing what he does, going around cleaning up restaurants in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

We pissed off alot of people telling them to :

Empty that walk in and Clean it top to bottom!

I always helped though. :)

Haha...Ramsay rules.

Some of the one-liners he comes out with... :lol:

Remember the Fenwick Arms from Kitchen Nightmares?

clau12.jpg

Practically down the road.

Haha.

In the summer they were advertising for new waiting-on staff for when Gordon came back. I was *this close* to applying but then I chickened out. :lol:

Yeah, that was a good episode. The owner of the pub was really nutty-- with that huge collection of weird plates and serving wares.

The episode that was really disgusting was the one with the English guy trying to run a restaurant in Spain. The place with dog shit on the floor.

I like the show because it pretty much proves my suspicions about many restaurants. I believe that a restaurant that has dirty windows, litter outside, or dirty floors and carpets inside, is probably FILTHY in the kitchen. If a restaurant owner or manager doesn't care how things look in the front of the house, there is no way that the back of the house is going to be in order. But a place that is spit and polish on the outside is a sign of good management. And while there is no guarantee that the food will be good... at least you can be reasonably sure that the place is clean.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't watch his American shows, but I have watched some of the UK Kitchen Nightmares and Kitchen Nightmares Revisited, and I like The F Word. He can be quite entertaining in the right mood and dose.

Being that this thread popped up again, the actual -hells kitchen, nyc is not a so called bad place anymore, its sought after real estate today. In the late 90s, i did telcom sales there and it was a not a rough part of town or anything.

Archived