Longest number

The Kevster

Found the "longest show" thread interesting, andit got me thinking: what's the longest single version of any song. Going through my boots, there's a 48-minute version of "Dazed & Confused" they did in Seattle in '75.

Anyone know of anything longer?

PS: Yesterday I was listening to a 77 boot (The Powhatan Confereracy) which had a 33-minute version of "Over The Top" :o Have to say I was getting abit restless during that one! ;)

PS: Yesterday I was listening to a 77 boot (The Powhatan Confereracy) which had a 33-minute version of "Over The Top" :o Have to say I was getting abit restless during that one! ;)

Just a bit on senceless nitpicking but I have always HATED the title "Over The Top" given to what is really "Out On The Tiles>Moby Dick. It's just Plant's introduction of John Bonham, not the name of the song. Only boots from the cd era will have Over The Top written on it, all the old LP versions were always Out On The Tiles>Moby Dick. And that's what I will always use and will change my text files to suit.

Just a pet peave of mine! :P (it does drive me nuts though, I have to admit)

I don't know Honeydripper, It's official name for that tour may very well have been Over the Top, considering that Plant said OTT in the same manner he would usually say Moby Dick. But it doesn't really matter, its a drum solo, end of story.

I don't know Honeydripper, It's official name for that tour may very well have been Over the Top, considering that Plant said OTT in the same manner he would usually say Moby Dick. But it doesn't really matter, its a drum solo, end of story.
Either way, no matter what Plant said, and he often said "coming in at 120lbs" too, what they played however was Out On The Tiles>drums solo>Moby Dick.

I've never been one for those long extended versions of songs such as Dazed & confused or Moby Dick, though I do enjoy WLL as it's basically lots of songs in one with less musical improv. All those 1975 SBD's I have which are 3 CD's I've edited down to fit onto 2 discs, I completely chop the drum solo from Moby so it's just the intro & outro music as I hate Drum solo's like that, & with "D & C" I chop out all the violin solo & much of the improv cutting it down to around 15 - 20 mins, which makes it more enjoyable & it fits 2 discs nicely which are great for storing in slimline double cases.

Graham

Either way, no matter what Plant said, and he often said "coming in at 120lbs" too, what they played however was Out On The Tiles>drums solo>Moby Dick.

Out On The Tiles and Moby Dick are two different songs

The Seattle Dazed was actually 39 mins where as the one from the last night of the tour in LA was around 43 mins. The best "long" performances for me would be the Whole Lotta Love medley from 23/9/71 at 36 mins with never a dull second.

I second that on 9/23/71, simply amazing...you can hear why they are the greatest band to ever walk the earth.

I've never been one for those long extended versions of songs such as Dazed & confused or Moby Dick, though I do enjoy WLL as it's basically lots of songs in one with less musical improv. All those 1975 SBD's I have which are 3 CD's I've edited down to fit onto 2 discs, I completely chop the drum solo from Moby so it's just the intro & outro music as I hate Drum solo's like that, & with "D & C" I chop out all the violin solo & much of the improv cutting it down to around 15 - 20 mins, which makes it more enjoyable & it fits 2 discs nicely which are great for storing in slimline double cases.

Graham

There are a few tracks from certain periods(Dazed in early 75, latter versions of MD/OTT, the 77 guitar solo) that bore me but generally I find Zep rather unique in that so few of there lenghty tracks tend to drag. There was IMHO a tendancey at the time to overplay tracks in Zep's case the likes of Dazed, NQ and the Medleys(which are IMHO more than merely a collection of tracks) were made up of mutiple sections so when the improv started to die in one they could move onto another rather than jamming it into the ground.

Out On The Tiles and Moby Dick are two different songs

On the 1977 tour the band would use Out on the Tiles as the intro to Bonham's drum solo. Quality isn't that great but here is a example from Seattle.

I bet there's a version of No Quarter that goes over 30 minutes. Don't know about 40.

The longest version of No Quarter is from the 06.22.77 Los Angeles show. Clocks in around 36 minutes. That includes the Plantations so the actual length may be around 34 minutes.

Archived