jim6225

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It's a preposterous lawsuit that the estate of Randy California will lose.

Let's hope Steve as I agree with you.  Let's just hope the jury pool didn't wasn't selected from those in the first O.J Simpson trial!

27 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Let's hope Steve as I agree with you.  Let's just hope the jury pool didn't wasn't selected from those in the first O.J Simpson trial!

If the notes don't fit...you must acquit!

From The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES

The Latest on a copyright lawsuit over Led Zeppelin's song "Stairway to Heaven" (all times local):

12:45 p.m.

A jury has been selected for the trial of a copyright lawsuit over the Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven."

The suit being heard in federal court in Los Angeles claims the tune's famous riff was copied from the song "Taurus" by the band Spirit.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant were in court Tuesday as the jury was picked.

Testimony is expected to begin in the afternoon.

---

10:25 a.m.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant are in a federal courtroom in Los Angeles on Tuesday for trial in a copyright lawsuit over their song "Stairway to Heaven."

First, the court will pick a jury to decide whether the members of Led Zeppelin ripped off the song's famous riff.

Page and Plant are named as defendants in the lawsuit brought by the trustee of late guitarist Randy Wolfe from the band Spirit. Attorneys for the trustee say 1971's "Stairway to Heaven" copies music from the Spirit song "Taurus," which Wolfe wrote in either 1966 or 1967.

Led Zeppelin and Spirit performed at some concerts and festivals around the same time, but not on the same stage.

A judge has ruled that evidence made a circumstantial case that Led Zeppelin may have heard "Taurus" before writing their song.

---

11:20 p.m.

Generations of aspiring guitarists have tried to copy the riff from Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven."

Starting Tuesday, a Los Angeles court will try to decide whether the members of Led Zeppelin themselves ripped off that riff.

The band's guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant are named as defendants in the lawsuit brought by the trustee of late guitarist Randy Wolfe from the band Spirit. Attorneys for the trustee contend that 1971's "Stairway to Heaven" copies music from the Spirit song "Taurus," which Wolfe wrote in either 1966 or 1967.

Led Zeppelin and Spirit performed at some concerts and festivals around the same time, but not on the same stage.

A judge ruled in April that evidence presented in hearings made a circumstantial case that Led Zeppelin may have heard "Taurus" performed before writing their song and sent the case to trial.

10 hours ago, JTM said:

Excellent, the forum needs an observer...

So...I am down at the courthouse this morning going thru the security checkpoint. Taking off my shoes and the whole bit. Then the guy asks for my ID and that's when I discover to my horror that in my haste this morning to get down to the courtroom, I had forgotten to grab my wallet out of the pants I wore yesterday. They would not let me in.

So I hung around with the news camera crews outside waiting for Jimmy and Robert to arrive, chatting with some of the guys.

A black SUV pulled up and a guy with a grey ponytail stepped out. It was Michael Skidmore...the bass player of Spirit who started this whole mess. Comically, some of the camera guys thought it was Jimmy Page they were filming. I set them straight. 

Even worse was this supposed Led Zeppelin fanatic with a blue beard and holding a Led Zeppelin IV album. He actually thought Skidmore was Jimmy and approached him and holding out the album asked him to sign it. Are you kidding me? The look Skidmore gave him was priceless.

Waited and waited some more until we received word from one of the people inside that Jimmy, Jones and Robert were already inside. They snuck them in thru the underground entrance used by judges and VIPs. By that time I had had enough and called it a morning.

Some of the guys were looking forward to Friday when Johnny Depp would be arriving at the courthouse up the street for his battle with Amber Heard.

I was bummed I got up early for nothing and didn't even get to show my support for Jimmy and Robert. But when I heard that today would mostly be spent picking the jury, I felt a little better.

Unfortunately I have to work the rest of the week so unless it drags on, today was my only chance to go in person.

51 minutes ago, Strider said:

this supposed Led Zeppelin fanatic with a blue beard and holding a Led Zeppelin IV album. He actually thought Skidmore was Jimmy and approached him and holding out the album asked him to sign it. Are you kidding me? The look Skidmore gave him was priceless.

That's too hilarious Strider! :hysterical:

Well you attempted Strider so that was cool of you indeed :) 

Ha to the the moron who thought  Skidmore was Jimmy.  Shame on him, but hilarious.
For some reason I am laughing way too hard at that.  

I heard during the selection of the jury,  one of the possible members shouted out that they
were big fans of Led Zeppelin and gestured that they loved Jimmy and Robert :D  Haha
obviously he was dismissed.  The write up from Rolling Stone mag stated that.

Thanks for the video links guys!! 

2 hours ago, Strider said:

So...I am down at the courthouse this morning going thru the security checkpoint. Taking off my shoes and the whole bit. Then the guy asks for my ID and that's when I discover to my horror that in my haste this morning to get down to the courtroom, I had forgotten to grab my wallet out of the pants I wore yesterday. They would not let me in.

So I hung around with the news camera crews outside waiting for Jimmy and Robert to arrive, chatting with some of the guys.

A black SUV pulled up and a guy with a grey ponytail stepped out. It was Michael Skidmore...the bass player of Spirit

Mick Skidmore has never played bass with Spirit.

3 hours ago, AnotherNewMember said:

Mick Skidmore has never played bass with Spirit.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Correct, that was that other clown Mark Andes

So is Skidmore with the Randy (California) Wolfe estate or one of the lawyers?

Edited by Strider

8 hours ago, Strider said:

A black SUV pulled up and a guy with a grey ponytail stepped out. It was Michael Skidmore...the bass player of Spirit who started this whole mess. Comically, some of the camera guys thought it was Jimmy Page they were filming. I set them straight. 

Even worse was this supposed Led Zeppelin fanatic with a blue beard and holding a Led Zeppelin IV album. He actually thought Skidmore was Jimmy and approached him and holding out the album asked him to sign it. Are you kidding me? The look Skidmore gave him was priceless.

Waited and waited some more until we received word from one of the people inside that Jimmy, Jones and Robert were already inside. They snuck them in thru the underground entrance used by judges and VIPs. By that time I had had enough and called it a morning.

Some of the guys were looking forward to Friday when Johnny Depp would be arriving at the courthouse up the street for his battle with Amber Heard.

I was bummed I got up early for nothing and didn't even get to show my support for Jimmy and Robert. But when I heard that today would mostly be spent picking the jury, I felt a little better.

Unfortunately I have to work the rest of the week so unless it drags on, today was my only chance to go in person.

Oh Man, that's a downer, forgetting ones wallet so easy to do.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

So is Skidmore with the Randy (California) Wolfe estate or one of the lawyers?

Skidmore is the executor of Randy's trust, which, in light of circumstance seems a breech of fiduciary responsibility. Also, he is a dick.

Edited by IpMan