Jump to content

jim6225
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

I wonder if a juror would have asked to play the live TSRTS version, if the plaintiff would have requested an alternate.

This trial seems so bizarre, I wouldn't be surprised if a juror surfaces as a LZ superfan and does something like that!! :P 

 

8 hours ago, The Pagemeister said:

Jimmy Page Testifies as Led Zeppelin 'Stairway to Heaven' Trial Heats Up

Love this, thanks for posting!  My favorite parts:

- Jimmy upon listening to Taurus:  "When it started, I was confused by the comparison... What's this got to do with Stairway?"

My sentiments exactly, Mr. Page:yesnod:

- Jimmy playing air drums during the playing of a live take of Zeppelin's "Fresh Garbage" cover and winking at Plant.

 :drumz:;) 

-  Malofiy to Jimmy:  "Later on you had a gift of playing guitar, is that correct?"  Jimmy: "Well, yeah."  ❤️❤️❤️

6 hours ago, kingzoso said:

For someone as beloved on this forum as Strider, to "forget" to bring his wallet, money and identification, to such a signification ordeal as this, makes Me question everything that he has ever posted.  It is one thing to say that you were there, but it is another to actually prove that you were there. 

That sounds as ludicrous as this lawsuit, kingzoso.

 

All the questioning about if/how well LZ knew Spirit and Taurus doesn't seem relevant if it is a fact that the chord progression is common and has been used in numerous songs, dating back for centuries.  Why would hearing Taurus be any more significant than hearing the other songs that use this chord progression.  

Edited by Ddladner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Post 9/11, there are protocols that require identification whenever entering a "federal" building.  Like I said, in this case of a certain magnitude, and with the defendants being Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, there will be a lot of restrictions of who can enter the courthouse and courtroom. 

For someone as beloved on this forum as Strider, to "forget" to bring his wallet, money and identification, to such a signification ordeal as this, makes Me question everything that he has ever posted.  It is one thing to say that you were there, but it is another to actually prove that you were there. 

How is it that Strider forgot to take money and a valid ID when he left home to go to a trial concerning Jimmy Page and Robert Plant? 

I know that you will read this, so please explain your inconsistencies.  No ID, no money, but you had the space to see a member of Spirit. 

You make a lot of assumptions.

Strider cares enough about this case to miss work and go to the Courthouse. He didn't get in the courtroom.  No ID.  That's good enough for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading that Rolling Stone article, it sounds like this guy Malofiy is a real piece of work and has been annoying the judge mightily.

56 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

All the questioning about if/how well LZ knew Spirit and Taurus doesn't seem relevant if it is a fact that the chord progression is common and has been used in numerous songs, dating back for centuries.  Why would hearing Taurus be any more significant than hearing the other songs that use this chord progression.

Indeed. Hopefully once Malofly has blown his wad with all this minutia the defense attorney will get a chance to start demonstrating the age-old and un-copyrightable quality of this progression.

Oh, and I have to say, the fact that this topic devolved into a discussion over the likelihood of forgetting one's wallet is a little absurd.

Edited by Balthazor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah no kidding about Francis.  He is in fact an obvious pain in the ass to the Judge.  I hope the
jury finds him irritating as well. 

"...by the end of the trial's second day, Malofiy had racked up sustained objections in the
double digits, at times exasperating the presiding magistrate. (At one point during Malofiy's
questioning, Judge Klausner yelled out "Sustained!' even before the defense had time to
object.) Klausner castigated Malofiy repeatedly from the bench, at one point asking the
attorney, "How many times can you beat a dead horse?"


I also read that the Judge already warned Malofiy of a mistrial. I can actually see that
happening to be honest.

Andes recounted in his testimony. "I played snooker with Robert Plant and we were definitely
drinking." Andes was undermined, however, under defense lawyer Peter Anderson's ruthless
cross-examination. Contrary to his earlier testimony, the Spirit musician was forced to recant
that Page was not in attendance at the group's Mother's show and that any meeting with Plant
at the meet-and-greet would've lasted "about a minute."


How quickly he goes from Robby and I were besties playing snooker and clinking beer glasses
all night in the pub.... to err..  he was only in my presence for maybe 60 seconds..

Thanks for Rolling Stone link  Ddladner
:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Balthazor said:

Reading that Rolling Stone article, it sounds like this guy Malofiy is a real piece of work and has been annoying the judge mightily.

Indeed. Hopefully once Malofly has blown his wad with all this minutia the defense attorney will get a chance to start demonstrating the age-old and un-copyrightable quality of this progression.

Oh, and I have to say, the fact that this topic devolved into a discussion over the likelihood of forgetting one's wallet is a little absurd.

Absolutely.  Someone's "inner child" was hurt a while ago, so he's just trying to strike back whenever he sees an opportunity. 

Malofiy apparently called a Spirit "super fan" to the stand yesterday, wtf?!?  He allowed a part of the deposition tape to be played that talked about drug use, which we all know was already deemed as impermissible in court.  Over 50 objections were sustained yesterday by the judge.

Robert is expected to take the stand today.  Jimmy was seen carrying a guitar case into the courthouse this morning.  I assume that once the plantiff is finished presenting their case, the common chord progression and the countless examples will be presented by the defense.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Post 9/11, there are protocols that require identification whenever entering a "federal" building.  Like I said, in this case of a certain magnitude, and with the defendants being Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, there will be a lot of restrictions of who can enter the courthouse and courtroom. 

For someone as beloved on this forum as Strider, to "forget" to bring his wallet, money and identification, to such a signification ordeal as this, makes Me question everything that he has ever posted.  It is one thing to say that you were there, but it is another to actually prove that you were there. 

How is it that Strider forgot to take money and a valid ID when he left home to go to a trial concerning Jimmy Page and Robert Plant? 

I know that you will read this, so please explain your inconsistencies.  No ID, no money, but you had the space to see a member of Spirit. 

What is your problem? You tend to come across as nasty and demeaning over the smallest of issues. People make mistakes, however you must be one of the few, perfect among us of which your opinions are also the only valid ones.

You really need to lighten up and stop being so boorish and arrogant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, IpMan said:

What is your problem? You tend to come across as nasty and demeaning over the smallest of issues. People make mistakes, however you must be one of the few, perfect among us of which your opinions are also the only valid ones.

You really need to lighten up and stop being so boorish and arrogant.

+1 Strider's love of music, knowledge of Led Zeppelin (he has to use more than one hand to count how many times hes seen them live) & his overall commentary and personality are one reason I come to this board... Soooo lets all just chill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cosmic_juice said:

+1 Strider's love of music, knowledge of Led Zeppelin (he has to use more than one hand to count how many times hes seen them live) & his overall commentary and personality are one reason I come to this board... Soooo lets all just chill

That's right Cosmic, chill like Fonzie...like a bunch of Fonzies'.

Correctomundo my friend

Edited by IpMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

"...by the end of the trial's second day, Malofiy had racked up sustained objections in the
double digits, at times exasperating the presiding magistrate. (At one point during Malofiy's
questioning, Judge Klausner yelled out "Sustained!' even before the defense had time to
object.) Klausner castigated Malofiy repeatedly from the bench, at one point asking the
attorney, "How many times can you beat a dead horse?"

This is very reassuring to me, that's it, keep pissing off the judge...

Edited by badgeholder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

This is very reassuring to me, that's it, keep pissing off the judge...

Yep, this is the same strategy which is gonna get Mr. Trump in serious trouble very soon. Rule #1 in court...never, ever piss off the judge; Rule#2 in court...refer to rule #1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Yep, this is the same strategy which is gonna get Mr. Trump in serious trouble very soon. Rule #1 in court...never, ever piss off the judge; Rule#2 in court...refer to rule #1.

You would be right if the trial was by judge instead of jury. Remember O.J.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...Attorney Francis Malofiy, who represents the man suing Page, then tried to question the
rocker about the similarity between the two recordings, which isn't the legal issue at hand.
After multiple sustained objections, U.S. District Court judge R. Gary Klausner had enough.
"Nobody cares," he said. "It's not an issue in this case.".....

....What followed was largely Malofiy quizzing Page on musical vocabulary and the first notes
of "Stairway." Then the attorney played "Chim Chim Cher-ee" from Mary Poppins and asked
Page whether or not he was familiar with the tune and if it inspired "Stairway" -- which Malofiy
claims the guitarist had said previously. Klausner again tired quickly of the apparently frivolous
questions and snapped, "You've wasted a huge amount of time.".......

....As attorneys for both sides squabbled about whether exhibits were shared beforehand, the
judge admonished the lack of professionalism in discovery in this case -- at one point he called
it abominable...."


I looked at the list of exhibits that Led Zeppelin would  present and it appears more
withstanding  and valid. The number of musical pieces dating  back as far as 1600s. A lot
proving that there isn't  any plagiarism taking place between the  two songs. The plaintiff side
is hell bent on repeating he/said she said stories from super fans from 45 years ago, ex band
members who say they hung around Led Zeppelin members at parties to only turn round and
admitt it was only briefly for a minute  or less, or bringing up that Jimmy has 50 gazillion
records and CDs and few of them happen to be Spirits - Nothing that proves ANYTHING other
than Jimmy Page loves music.  Maybe Judge Klausner will have Francis removed from the court room!  :D 

 
https://www.scribd.com/doc/315882498/Defendant-Supplemental-Exhibit-List-Skidmore-v-
Led-Zeppelin-Stairway-to-Heaven-lawsuit

 

Edited by KellyGirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your understanding. I have learned to ignore kingzoso's attempted barbs. For years he's had a bee in his bonnet about me. Sorry kingzoso that I am not perfect. I forget my wallet from time to time...especially at 5 in the morning on only 4 hours sleep. My mind was groggy and I was in a rush and did not take the time to doublecheck. You don't have to believe me...it's a free country. But your not believing does not change the reality that I was there. 

I took the Gold Line from Pasadena to Downtown. I have a metro pass that I keep separately from my wallet. So your question about money for parking is moot. As is how I had the "space to see a member of Spirit?" Whatever that meant...space? I was standing outside the courthouse along Temple when the guy's SUV pulled up. Why wouldn't I have space?

Anyway, I have wasted enough time and space on you and your paranoia already. Back to what's important...the trial.

Walter, you mentioned Jimmy bringing in a guitar today. Who knew it would take a court order to finally see Jimmy in concert? Hehe.

As for this Malofiy guy, one of the guys...a tall guy from KNX radio named Steve, I think...said this guy has a reputation for being a litigious prick. He or one of the other news crew guys showed me a copy of the lawsuit that Malofiy filed and it is ridiculous the number of people listed that he is going acter...Robert, Jimmy, Jones, Atlantic Records, Superhype, Rhino, etc., etc.

That is the main thing that I was curious about wanting to be inside the courtroom for this case. Not just to see Robert, Jimmy, and Jones up close, but to see the jury's reaction to hearing the two songs and their reaction, and the judge's, to Malofiy's tactics. It looks so far he could be in danger of losing the judge and the jury...and that is good for Led Zeppelin.

Unless the jury sees it as the judge picking on Malofiy.

Edited by Strider
Kept getting Spirit's lawyer name wrong.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, KellyGirl said:

I looked at the list of exhibits that Led Zeppelin would  present and it appears more
withstanding  and valid. The number of musical pieces dating  back as far as 1600s. A lot
proving that there isn't  any plagiarism taking place between the  two songs. The plaintiff side
is hell bent on repeating he/said she said stories from super fans from 45 years ago, ex band
members who say they hung around Led Zeppelin members at parties to only turn round and
admitt it was only briefly for a minute  or less, or bringing up that Jimmy has 50 gazillion
records and CDs and few of them happen to be Spirits - Nothing that proves ANYTHING other
than Jimmy Page loves music.  Maybe Judge Klausner will have Francis removed from the court room!  :D 

 
https://www.scribd.com/doc/315882498/Defendant-Supplemental-Exhibit-List-Skidmore-v-
Led-Zeppelin-Stairway-to-Heaven-lawsuit

 

Wow, that's impressive, thank you for posting that.  They've submitted every track on Love Forever Changes, a sad but incredibly beautiful record -- lots of cool finger picking by Bryan MacLean.  And "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith - was wondering if that would come up at all.  Beatles, Stones, yardbirds, Donovan -- They're going to give the jury a music lesson!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2016 at 2:36 PM, Ddladner said:

I know your heart sunk when you realized you had forgotten your wallet. :(  Hopefully you'll get a second chance to go. 

Unfortunately that was my one shot. Even if the trial runs to next week, I am leaving on an extended trip for my aunt's memorial. I won't be back until after the 4th of July.

I was hoping Cookie0024 would be at the trial but apparently he's in London and will miss it.

Edited by Strider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KellyGirl said:

...Attorney Francis Malofiy, who represents the man suing Page, then tried to question the
rocker about the similarity between the two recordings, which isn't the legal issue at hand.
After multiple sustained objections, U.S. District Court judge R. Gary Klausner had enough.
"Nobody cares," he said. "It's not an issue in this case.".....

....What followed was largely Malofiy quizzing Page on musical vocabulary and the first notes
of "Stairway." Then the attorney played "Chim Chim Cher-ee" from Mary Poppins and asked
Page whether or not he was familiar with the tune and if it inspired "Stairway" -- which Malofiy
claims the guitarist had said previously. Klausner again tired quickly of the apparently frivolous
questions and snapped, "You've wasted a huge amount of time.".......

....As attorneys for both sides squabbled about whether exhibits were shared beforehand, the
judge admonished the lack of professionalism in discovery in this case -- at one point he called
it abominable...."

KellyGirl, where'd you find this stuff?

If these kinds of antics keep up, this may never make it to the jury. I'm going to guess that Malofly might have been the only attorney scuzzy enough to take this case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twitter Balthazor!!  I follow @LedZepNews  who happens to be re- tweeting out 2
ladies who are at the trial. 
:lol:

So far the reports coming from the journalists at the trial - Jimmy sounds like he's handling it
well. Good eye contact, winking, smiling and apparently a little dance. Not that 'fans' in the
courtroom watching the trial matter....but who knows if jury members are picking up little
things like their nodding in approval when Jimmy was giving his testimony - almost like
*yeah
this guy is telling the truth*  
Ha-ha I'm hoping the jury are enthralled with Jimbert - maybe some
of them will end up being Led Zep fans after this
^_^

Question: If Zep would lose and have it appealed would Judge Klausner be factored  into it
again, or does a new judge sit in?
I ask because I think this is the LAST thing this judge would
like to see happen. If Zep wins then the book will be closed. Right now the Judge appears as if
the case  Francis is grating on his last nerve and to deal with this shit again wouldn't be his cup of
tea

Personally I don't see how the jury isn't noticing Malofiy as an annoying gnat.  The journalist
are making a point of bringing up how the Judge isn't a fan of his. If it wasn't something that
was noticable during the trial,  I don't think ALL would be mentioning it in their reports. 

Edited by KellyGirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KellyGirl said:

Twitter Balthazor!!  I follow @LedZepNews  who happens to be re- tweeting out 2
ladies who are at the trial. 
:lol:

So far the reports coming from the journalists at the trial - Jimmy sounds like he's handling it
well. Good eye contact, winking, smiling and apparently a little dance. Not that 'fans' in the
courtroom watching the trial matter....but who knows if jury members are picking up little
things like their nodding in approval when Jimmy was giving his testimony - almost like
*yeah
this guy is telling the truth*  
Ha-ha I'm hoping the jury are enthralled with Jimbert - maybe some
of them will end up being a Led Zep fan after this
^_^

Question: If Zep would lose and have it appealed would Judge Klausner be factored  into it
again, or does a new judge sit in?
I ask because I think this is the LAST thing this judge would
like to see happen. If Zep wins then the book will be closed. Right now the Judge appears as if
the case  Frances is grating on his last nerve and to deal with this shit again wouldn't be his cup of
tea

Personally I don't see how the jury isn't noticing Malofiy as an annoying gnat.  The journalist
are making a point of bringing up how the Judge isn't a fan of his. If it wasn't something that
was noticable during the trial,  I don't think ALL would be mentioning it in their reports. 

Yep, Cookie has been doing a great job relaying information via Twitter!  As far as the jury being irritated by Malofiy,  Jose Baez annoyed the judge and jury throughout the Casey Anthony case, and we all know how that turned out...   I know civil vs criminal cases is like apples/oranges but the jury isn't always as easily swayed as some of us who are more emotionally vested in the case than they are.  I do hope they take care of business in the manner we all think they should.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Mercurious said:

Wow, that's impressive, thank you for posting that.  They've submitted every track on Love Forever Changes, a sad but incredibly beautiful record -- lots of cool finger picking by Bryan MacLean.  And "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith - was wondering if that would come up at all.  Beatles, Stones, yardbirds, Donovan -- They're going to give the jury a music lesson!


Yeah I was surprised at how many pieces of music there are.  A lot of the members on this board
had mentioned many of them,  but so many more have been added.  Hopefully Zep's lawyers present
it to the jury in a nice little package done up with a bow.  So far the plaintiff hasn't  impressed me with any
of his findings.  So much of his evidence is so irrelevant,  but like Walter said who knows what goes
through the juries heads.  I'm biased towards Zep of course haha.

Edited by KellyGirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KellyGirl said:

Question: If Zep would lose and have it appealed would Judge Klausner be factored  into it
again, or does a new judge sit in?
I ask because I think this is the LAST thing this judge would
like to see happen. If Zep wins then the book will be closed. Right now the Judge appears as if
the case  Francis is grating on his last nerve and to deal with this shit again wouldn't be his cup of
tea.

It would go to a different court altogether, this one . The appellate judge (s) would in part be ruling on decisions Judge Klausner may have made, so no Klausner on the 2nd District Court of Appeals.   Who knows what grounds Led Zep might appeal on if they should happen to lose. It would have to be something more than "we don't like the jury's decision."

Edited by Mercurious
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good work everyone on relaying some great info from the trial proceedings to us.  Especially, Strider and Kelly Girl(via Cookie24)! :thumbsup:

This Malofiy is a real POS and the judge seems to be losing his patience with him, which is a very good thing!

Edited by SuperDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mercurious said:

It would go to a different court altogether, this one . The appellate judge (s) would in part be ruling on decisions Judge Klausner may have made, so no Klausner on the 2nd District Court of Appeals.   Who knows what grounds Led Zep might appeal on if they should happen to lose. It would have to be something more than "we don't like the jury's decision."

Thanks Mercurious :)  Here's hoping things go in Zeps favor and this thread next week is
met with clinking glasses  :drinks:and happy campers!

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Good work everyone on relaying some great info from the trial proceedings to us.  Especially, Strider and Kelly Girl(via Cookie24)! :thumbsup:

This Malofiy is a real POS and the judge seems to be losing his patience with him, which is a very good thing!

Hii there SuperDave :wave: You're welcome.  I'm just doing the easy part of copy and paste. 

********************************************************************************

....Jimmy Page was grilled for two hours on the stand.  Malofiy delved into the minutiae of the
musical composition of “Stairway”.  Klausner thwarted much of the inquiry because Page is not
designated as a musical expert in the case.   

....Klausner also shut down repeated attempts by Malofiy asking Page about elements of
Spirit’s recording of “Taurus” rather than restricting his examination to the sheet music on file
with the U.S. Copyright Office.... 

In a bid to show the millions of dollars that the members of Led Zeppelin have earned from
“Stairway,” Malofiy also tried to introduce a 2008 agreement said to outline the $60-million
publishing deal Led Zeppelin signed that year.  Klausner refused to allow the discussion
because that contract fell outside the statute of limitations for this case......


http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-led-zeppelin-copyright-20160616-snap-
story.html


No wonder the Judge was telling Francis he was 'wasting time'   'beating a dead horse'.  And what
2 hours!?!?  Poor Jimmy
:console:

Edited by KellyGirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking the estate of Randy Wolfe will begin working on their next frivolous lawsuit to be filed by the year 2050 against the Foo Fighters for what may appear to be a slight similarity to Taurus during the opening notes.  Should be entertining to see a 70+ year old Dave Grohl appearing in court with his Led Zeppelin 1977 Tour of America t-shirt on.

 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=youtube the pretender foo fighters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...