STRAIGHT FROM JIMMY: NO MULTI-TRACKS BEFORE RAH '70

Strider

What is the source of this claim? Has Jimmy stated that there are no multi-tracks from that year?

In regard to 1977 multitracks, Page said that they were planning on recording (and filming) some of the big post-Oakland stadium shows in the third leg of the tour. The New Orleans Superdome show likely would have been one of them. Alas, we all know what happened there...

In regard to 1977 multitracks, Page said that they were planning on recording (and filming) some of the big post-Oakland stadium shows in the third leg of the tour. The New Orleans Superdome show likely would have been one of them. Alas, we all know what happened there...

And, for the 1975 Tour that was cut short, I wonder if the band had plans to multi-track any of those cancelled shows???

And, for the 1975 Tour that was cut short, I wonder if the band had plans to multi-track any of those cancelled shows???

I'm not sure- I only remember Page referring to recording some of the '77 shows in an interview, no mention of 1975 at all...on the one hand, you could say "Why not?" considering the band seemed to take up this notion of filming/recording gigs at the last minute (consider the 1973 tour where only the last four shows were done for The Song Remains The Same). But you might also reckon that maybe they figured capturing the Earls Court shows for posterity was enough. Who the hell knows :lol:

I believe those planned summer 1975 shows were mainly outdoor stadiums, no? (similar to the remainder of the '77 tour) You'd think they might have wanted to record some of those...

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1977 Oakland shows had been recorded but there may have been "issues". Plus if you hear the Pink Floyd tour boot from there, the quality probably isn't that different.

1977 Houston Summit has been brought up in the past that house video may have been shot, and MSG had in house video by 1977 for sports games.

For all we know, it would have been TSRtS all over again...I wonder what Jimmy was thinking by waiting until the end of those bigger tours to get out the cameras. Hindsight is 20/20, but still, filming at the end of the first leg in both years would have been wiser. It's that sweet spot where they finally get a good feel for the setlist and really start opening up during jams, but before they get too tired or bored. They also tended to do a multi-night performance to finish the first leg, so that'd allow for cross-night editing.

End of first leg 1973 - 31 May and 3 June at The Forum

End of first leg 1975 - 13 and 14 Feb at Nassau Coliseum

End of first leg 1977 - 27 and 28 Apr at Richfield Coliseum

That's three legendary concert films or albums right there, if only they'd planned a bit better.

I'm not sure- I only remember Page referring to recording some of the '77 shows in an interview, no mention of 1975 at all...

Well, it seems all but officially confirmed that they filmed at Pontiac. That's a great show, definitely good enough for something like the DVD, but it's actually the DVD that makes me certain Jimmy has got nothing from 77, now that I think about it.

In the case of 72, he didn't have high quality audio from Sydney Showground, and didn't have high-quality video from The Forum, so he just spliced the two together. If he had a similar problem with 77, he could have done the same thing, if only for one or two songs, instead of ignoring 77 entirely. We got nothing in the DVD proper. Even in the menu, he uses audio from Millar's tape...the only audience tape he's ever released. I'm certain he would have used multi-track instead if he had it.

The wikipedia page for the tour explicitly states that he said he couldn't find the multi-tracks, but unfortunately that claim is not sourced. I hope they were stolen, rather than lost or thrown out somehow. At least if they are stolen, we have a CHANCE to hear multi-tracks from 77 one day.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1977 Oakland shows had been recorded but there may have been "issues". Plus if you hear the Pink Floyd tour boot from there, the quality probably isn't that different.

1977 Houston Summit has been brought up in the past that house video may have been shot, and MSG had in house video by 1977 for sports games.

The Pink Floyd recording yer referring to is just a really good audience recording- none of the Zeppelin Oakland '77 recordings match the quality of the Floyd...obviously not the same taper. Sort of like with Atlanta '77- if the same guy who taped Pink Floyd three days later taped Zeppelin the Zeppelin recording would be one of the best instead of one of the worst of the tour.

House video may have been shot of Houston, but where the hell is it after all these years? The closest thing we have to confirmation that film of Houston exists are ten year old stories -rumours- of some pro athlete showing the video at parties...

Well, it seems all but officially confirmed that they filmed at Pontiac. That's a great show, definitely good enough for something like the DVD, but it's actually the DVD that makes me certain Jimmy has got nothing from 77, now that I think about it.

They didn't film Pontiac, though- essentially it was the Silverdome peoples' filming for the video screens. Big difference. Surprising that Peter Grant didn't confiscate the film after the show was over like he did in Seattle. And obviously Page didn't find the Seattle footage suitable for use in the DVD- understandable in a way, but the only consolation for fans/collectors is that at least Seattle '77 circulates unofficially (unlike Pontiac or Houston...)

Houston house film... no concrete evidence has ever surfaced. but then, that doesn't evem mean there would be multi-tracks of that show.

I remember when the Houston soundboard came out, some people were suggesting it might not have been a soundboard, but some sort of multi track mixdown- especially considering that, compared to the other 1977 soundboards Houston has a crisper, more 'stereo' sound. I think it's just another soundboard, myself, but, again, who the hell knows? :lol:

And, no, no CONCRETE evidence has ever surfaced of the Houston video. Just that old story about the pro athlete who supposedly had it and would play it parties, etc. Somewhere in the tons of different 1977 video discussions here, the guy who told that story on RO posted about it.

Archived