La La

What can you tell us about it Joe? In general terms......

Starts with a grinding Hammond organ riff by John Paul Jones. John Bonham then kicks in with his drums about 10 seconds in, with Jimmy strumming acoustic chords along to the rhythm. About 50 seconds in, Jimmy's acoustic track then stands out, and then at the minute mark his electric guitar enters with a bit of distortion, followed by a guitar solo. At around 2minutes 10 seconds, the tempo slows down and Jimmy fires up the wah pedal til fade out.

Starts with a grinding Hammond organ riff by John Paul Jones. John Bonham then kicks in with his drums about 10 seconds in, with Jimmy strumming acoustic chords along to the rhythm. About 50 seconds in, Jimmy's acoustic track then stands out, and then at the minute mark his electric guitar enters with a bit of distortion, followed by a guitar solo. At around 2minutes 10 seconds, the tempo slows down and Jimmy fires up the wah pedal til fade out.

Interesting. Sounds like a precursor to Your Time is Gonna Come, but it's probably not even remotely similar. Robert and John Paul were alleged to have worked out the vocal melody together, but last I heard, there was not going to be any JPJ vocals. So, is this an instrumental then? That would be great if it was.

Almost poppy! Who-ish in the first section for sure! I LOVE THIS!!! With all this retro Zep I-II zeitgeist permeating rock now.... THIS is how it's done!!! Gonna be a hit!

The sound and feel remind me of the James Gang's Tend My Garden. I'm wondering if Jimmy was playing the Les Paul he bought from Joe Walsh for this track.

I love that song, especially the guitar solo. I actually think it (James Gang Rides Again) is one of the most underrated rock albums ever.

Back on topic, I can't wait to hear La La on my stereo on Monday night, I haven't heard it yet so sounds like I'm in for a treat.

I am personally staying away from these tracks until I get my box sets, but is there any indication that this song was recently touched up to make it presentable (ie: more guitars, etc), like Walter's Walk? I doubt it, but I was curious to know to what degree these tracks were worked for the DE releases.

Maybe the most cheerful-sounding, "AM ready" song I've ever heard out of them, particularly the first, organ-driven part. Then Jimmy steps in and steers things in a more "Zep-like" direction. Just amazing that the stuff they threw away was this good!

Love it...

It's probably just the organ but the intro makes me think of a more upbeat "Your Time is Gonna Come". I'm not sure how this track was edited but it sounds a bit choppy and thrown together around the minute mark. The solo and rhythm section through the middle and outro are quite tasty though.

The sound and feel remind me of the James Gang's Tend My Garden. I'm wondering if Jimmy was playing the Les Paul he bought from Joe Walsh for this track.

I can see what you're saying! The sound and feel of the music sort reminds me of 'Time is Tight' and a Floyd song....but which one is it???? :D

I disagree Steve... it's obviously "pieces" spliced together as a whole, but they reveal exploration in a direction heretofore not revealed in their catalog. The Who feel, especially in Bonzo's approach sounds fresh today! Amazing to my ears! Yeah it's a thin sound... but it's a demo! The picking around 1:29 or so foreshadows much of Houses.... it even feel like Steve Hunter on Lou Reed's RnR Animal.... The way Page walks out the track in pure Zep strut leans on the sound Joe Walsh was tapped into also. Influences of the day bleed all over this one! I even LIKE the choppy-ness!

Archived