Article from The Telegraph - JP:'We knew that no band had ever sounded like Led Zeppelin’

DropDown

Jimmy Page has awoken, he wants us to hear him again, he wants to play, to create, he has hunger!

“If we could present such a good picture of ourselves at the O2, and that was just one concert, no warm ups, I think there’s no doubt we could have gone on making music that would be interesting, let’s just say that,” says Page. “However it’s hypothetical. The problem with Robert Plant is that one minute he’s doing it, the next he’s not, and I am quite honestly fed up with all of that. So I don’t think about what music we could be making. Who’s we? F*** we! It’s time for me to be out there playing again. I’ve got music, various different sorts of constructions and colours. But it doesn’t matter what I’ve done at home. I’ve been involved in all the Led Zeppelin stuff and it’s whetted my appetite. I’ve got to be seen and heard. I’m looking forward to it.”

I LOVE this article, thanks for posting, DropDown!! I never tire of hearing from Jimmy, and whether he plays again or not, who can blame him for being so pumped up after listening to hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours of LZ over the past couple of years...it's how I feel after listening to them, too!!! I love the way the article is written, you can tell that Neil McCormick is a true LZ fan (maybe a member of this forum?!).

Jimmy Page has awoken, he wants us to hear him again, he wants to play, to create, he has hunger!

“If we could present such a good picture of ourselves at the O2, and that was just one concert, no warm ups, I think there’s no doubt we could have gone on making music that would be interesting, let’s just say that,” says Page. “However it’s hypothetical. The problem with Robert Plant is that one minute he’s doing it, the next he’s not, and I am quite honestly fed up with all of that. So I don’t think about what music we could be making. Who’s we? F*** we! It’s time for me to be out there playing again. I’ve got music, various different sorts of constructions and colours. But it doesn’t matter what I’ve done at home. I’ve been involved in all the Led Zeppelin stuff and it’s whetted my appetite. I’ve got to be seen and heard. I’m looking forward to it.”

haha the gloves are off! i applaud pagey for being so forthright as these interviews have gone on. He's really put it into put up or shut up mode for plant such that the next time a smart journalist asks plant, they'll reference one of these and he'll have more than a little trouble getting away wiht one of his usual coy answers.....

I sense some child psychology being applied to Robert's ego. It's one of three possibilities:

*There is something in the works, and this is a distraction technique.

* Jimmy is trying to manipulate Robert into sh*tting or getting off the pot.

* Jimmy is really done with it, and making it crystal clear, while assigning responsibilty where he feels it belongs.

Sadly, I have little to know doubt that it's the last option. Good on Jimmy for being honest about his feelings.

Unfortunate that an article that started so well is then spoiled by sloppy journalism!

Yet he plays Zeppelin songs with his quirky post-blues outfit The Sensational Spaceshifters, staffed by jazz and world musicians, much to the bemusement of Zeppelin manager Bill Curbishley, who walked out of a gig with the classic line, “It’s like watching Shergar pull a milk cart.”

Bill Curbishley was never manager of Led Zeppelin and I highly doubt he ever walked out of a Spaceshifters gig and made that comment. Also Page did not 'briefly replace' Jeff Beck in The Yardbirds. He was in The Yardbirds for over 2 years.

Talk is cheap, Charles. Come December let's count how many gigs he played in 2014.

Archived