Press & Media Coverage: The 2014-15 Led Zeppelin Remasters

SteveAJones

Here's the one riff Jimmy Page wishes he wrote

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page says there is one riff he wishes he wrote. Watch and find out what it is and how he felt to hear Heart perform "Stairway to Heaven" at the Kennedy Center Honors.

http://www.kare11.com/video/3607268100001/1/Heres-the-one-riff-Jimmy-Page-wishes-he-wrote

Here's the one riff Jimmy Page wishes he wrote

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page says there is one riff he wishes he wrote. Watch and find out what it is and how he felt to hear Heart perform "Stairway to Heaven" at the Kennedy Center Honors.

http://www.kare11.com/video/3607268100001/1/Heres-the-one-riff-Jimmy-Page-wishes-he-wrote

Many thanks for this Deb. Nice little interview. "Seven Nation Army" is a great riff and love that song by the White Stripes. Another favorite of mine is "Ball and Biscuit". Check out the live versions of the latter. Will remind you somewhat of Zep live at times. Especially, their live performances from the early days. Most notably, "Killing Floor." You'll enjoy it. Heart's version of STH was done so well and really enjoy it every time I see this. Thanks again!

• Administrators

Why the new Led Zeppelin reissues are totally worth it
Zeppelin's trifecta of remasters prove how vital the group remains today

By Sam Goldner | For the Colorado Daily

20140605_074416_LedZeppelin1973_Gruen.jp

It's been about a month now since the whirlwind of college graduation, and between the visiting relatives, the new job training, and that random thing where I was on the jumbotron (which people still keep pointing me out in the street for), it's all felt very nonstop. So I was all the more surprised when just yesterday, the FedEx guy dropped off Led Zeppelin's three newly reissued LPs on my doorstep.

I had almost forgotten, but somewhere in the frenzy of graduation, I had ordered Led Zeppelins I, II, and III on vinyl as a present for myself. Yes, it's true that I probably could've used the money to save up for my impending future, and yes, it's true that part of me still has the priorities of an eighth grader, but fuck it dude, Zeppelin is exactly the type of band that seems to stake their whole being on these kind of juvenile impulses.
Now, full disclosure: there are about seven different formats with which one can purchase these reissues, including deluxe CDs, box sets, special edition vinyl and just the plain remastered LPs. I just went with the original vinyl, and thusly I can't really make any commentary on the bonus material included in the more extravagant formats, which includes early live recordings as well as demos and other such delights. But even without all those collectors' commodities, Jimmy Page and Rhino have done a magnificent job breathing new life into these recordings, which is saying something when you're talking about the behemoth that is Zeppelin.

Their debut album sounds as crisp as it's ever sounded, having an almost tastefully muted feel on cuts like "Dazed & Confused", where John Paul Jones' bass plucks feel military in their precision. Elsewhere, Page's guitar is placed front and center to great effect, such as on the "Your Time Is Gonna Come"/"Black Mountain Side" suite, highlighting what an inspiring player Page continues to be.

Appropriately, II is the loudest and fuzziest of the whole bunch. "Heartbreaker" and "Bring It On Home" have never sounded more furious, and above all the emphasis seems to be how heavy Zeppelin's bluesiest album remains today. III meanwhile is still as bizarre as its album cover suggests, but Page's production brings a newfound depth of field to some of the songs, drawing attention to the beauty the band was capable of achieving with more acoustic tracks like "That's The Way" and "Tangerine."

Moreso than almost any other group of their era, Zeppelin wore their youthful excess with pride, and weren't afraid to tackle the kind of wistfulness usually reserved for introverted, Brian Wilson types. These records dare you to think like a teenager, with their impossibly heavy riffing and songs that immediately segue into one another without a moment of silence for reflection. It's the most mystical bits of hard rock, psychedelia and folk music all rolled into one, and even after all these years, it's refreshing to see how much power Zeppelin's childlike sense of romanticism still holds.

Sam Goldner is the music director at CU-Boulder's Radio 1190.
http://www.coloradodaily.com/music-news/ci_25906691/goldner-why-new-led-zeppelin-reissues-are-totally

Tower Records Shibuya (Tokyo) In-Store Displays

DSC03758_zps98eb8043.jpg

June 1, 2014 (Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones)

_1040272_zps057e399e.jpg

_1040271_zps87ebb1b8.jpg

_1040266_zps65373716.jpg

_1040264_zpsf427edee.jpg

_1040263_zpsceee9068.jpg

Tower Records Shibuya (Tokyo) In-Store Displays

DSC03758_zps98eb8043.jpg

_1040272_zps057e399e.jpg

_1040271_zps87ebb1b8.jpg

_1040266_zps65373716.jpg

_1040264_zpsf427edee.jpg

_1040263_zpsceee9068.jpg

Didn't realize Tower Records were around at all anymore. All the ones in California are long gone i believe. Nice to see that.

LED ZEPPELIN: Deluxe Reissues Of First Three Albums Land In U.S. Top 10

Deluxe editions of LED ZEPPELIN's first three albums — "Led Zeppelin", "Led Zeppelin II" and "Led Zeppelin III" — each sold more than 30,000 copies in the United States in their first week of release. The three titles re-entered the chart within the Top 10, marking the first time an artist had as many titles within the Top 15 at the same time since Whitney Houston scored three in the Top 10 following her death in 2012.

"Led Zeppelin"
The Billboard 200 chart position: #7
First-week sales: 36,954

"Led Zeppelin II"
The Billboard 200 chart position: #9
First-week sales: 33,867

"Led Zeppelin III"
The Billboard 200 chart position: #10
First-week sales: 32,177

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/led-zeppelin-deluxe-reissues-of-first-three-albums-land-in-u-s-top-10/#fXkZfZEVzDt5QMWe.99

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of a random topic, but here goes. I bought the remastered box set of Zeppelin III. In the companion book one of the first photos is a young Jimmy Page in his home leaning against a cheesy planter. Rather carelessly leaning against the wall at the floor is a pencil sketching of 3 women. For some reason I can't take my eyes off of it. Does anyone know anything about this work? Does anyone recognize it, or know whom the artist might be? I'd love to see this artwork at a larger scale. It's very beautiful.

Archived