REMASTERED LED ZEPPELIN III: Post Your Reactions/Reviews Here

Strider

I didn't want to start a new topic with this, but do you recommend playing these remastered additions on your stereo system with an Equalizer, whether it's playing the cds or vinyl?

No no no. True hifi amps don't even have tone controls, if they do response from them is minimal (like my ancient Arcam Delta 90). It's best to listen flat, that's the way the producer intended the music to be listened to. As for equalizers what a joke, just an unnecessary manufactures way of getting money out of people who like lot's of buttons and sliders to play with. The less components in the chain the better.

No no no. True hifi amps don't even have tone controls, if they do response from them is minimal (like my ancient Arcam Delta 90). It's best to listen flat, that's the way the producer intended the music to be listened to. As for equalizers what a joke, just an unnecessary manufactures way of getting money out of people who like lot's of buttons and sliders to play with. The less components in the chain the better.

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense.

Agreed! If you are listening to some poor quality bootleg feel free to reach for the equalizer, but when you are playing the newest remasters from someone as picky as JP, in 24/96 no less, the equalizer will just add distortion, noise, and weird phase issues. (However my McIntosh pre amp does have a nice five band EQ, which is out of the circuit when set flat, it's a savior for some boots!)

Edited by chef free

But back to the topic:

This album sounds great! It's literally a revelation! So much more music has been reveled. I can't believe how bad the original mastering was! All the guitar tracks are now distinct. Best remaster of the batch, If you somehow have any doubt about buying these new remasters, FORGET IT! GET THEM NOW! You will not regret it!

Deluxe CD only here. (I get most stuff on MP3 only these days, so buying a CD at all is pushing the boat out for me).

Remastering: again, fabulous. So much more detail revealed and (unlike in a couple of spots on II) only where you want it and never where you don't (he's somehow managed to tone down that squeak on SIBLY a bit). Heavy things sound bigger, beefier, more muscular; pretty things sound prettier, lighter, sparklier. Light & Shade, indeed. "That's The Way" is particularly lovely - some absolutely beautiful guitar work that just wasn't distinct before. It's the closest you'll get to the sensation of hearing the stuff for the first time. Anyone who's dithering about getting the remasters - do it. I mean, I haven't got money to burn but I really don't resent paying for them again less than two years after doing so the first time; it's all worth it.

Companion disc: "Immigrant Song", "Celebration Day" and "Gallows Pole" aren't really different enough to be more than mildly interesting. "Friends" is great. I like it better without its slightly tuneless vocal line and hippy-dippy lyrics; just sit back and listen to some awesome guitar. "Bathroom Sound" is as good without the vocal as with, or nearly - another opportunity to appreciate an awesome drummer more than you do with the vocal. SIBLY has some guitar sections which are different enough for it to be worthwhile - some really great moments. And "Jennings Farm Blues" and "Key To The Highway / Trouble In Mind" are both cool pieces (both totally new to me, being as yet unfamiliar with the bootlegs), even if the latter is just a tiny bit too white-middle-class-English-boys-trying-to-be-Howlin'-Wolf-and-becoming-parodic. The only thing I really disliked was the alternative mix of "That's The Way" - it sounds too fast, enervated, queasy. Still, just made me love the original more.

Packaging: I went to the local HMV on the day of release and got I and II but their delivery of III hadn't come, so this one was via Amazon. It arrived with a French label on the front ("Album original remasterise par Jimmy Page" etc) and some gibberish inside: "Credit must be given to Bron-Y-Aur, a small derelict cottage in South Snowdonia for painting a somewhat forgotten picture of true completeness which acted as an incentive to some of these musical statements". I wasn't sure if this was someone going nuts with Google Translate or just a bit of the "poetically" mangled syntax one sometimes gets with Mr Plant, but the gibberish continues in the small print ("This stereo record can be played on mono reproducers provided either a compatible of stereo cartridge wired for mono is fitted"), so I guess the former. No matter. It's awesome to have the turning wheel, and there's no hideous original artwork within (as with II). Awesome stuff!

^^^ I agree that on the companion, I'm enjoying the songs that don't have vocals as much as anything. It's great to focus on the instruments, and I realize that even when I listen to the originals, I'm oftentimes focusing on the instruments anyhow. As I suspected, I am drawn to both versions of SIBLY. I love every note of this song, and in both versions, I feel like each member pours their heart and soul into it. Jennings Farm Blues and Key to the Highway / Trouble in Mind are new to me, and I can already tell they will be among my most played LZ songs.

Man, I never thought I'd say this but I think I actually like the Alternate Mix of Immigrant Song better than the Classic Mix.

The lack of reverb makes Jimmy's chords sound much sharper and the multiple layers of Roberts vocals at the end make the song sound more psychedelic.

• 3 weeks later...

Why wasn't the alternate version of That's The Way used on the original album? It's glorious, the effects they used on Robert's vocal work so well, stunning in every way.

I agree. Jimmy's guitar tone sounds much better to me on the alternate version as well. The original sounds very 'thin' in comparison. BTW, how the f did Hats off to Roy Harper beat Keys to the Highway/Trouble in Mind onto III?

I agree. Jimmy's guitar tone sounds much better to me on the alternate version as well. The original sounds very 'thin' in comparison. BTW, how the f did Hats off to Roy Harper beat Keys to the Highway/Trouble in Mind onto III?

It's likely that they tagged HOTRH as the take to use on the album before returning to the studio and jamming on KTTH/TIM.

The alternate mix/version of "That's the Way" is very cool, but I prefer the official album pitch.

Got the 2cd deluxe as with 1 and 2.The re master is certainly more clearer but the main improvement as with the other releases is JPJ's bass.Being a guitarist/bassist this is a revalation.The companion disc threw in a few surprises.Always wanted to hear Jennings Farm Blues,never been able to find it.Is there a vocal take ?As it is its great.That's The Way is lovely.I like both versions.Great alternate take on SIBLY.On Tiles in the Bathroom or whatever it is I can finally hear properly what Pagey and Jonesy are up to.And I have always been blown away by Bonzos effort here.A few minor quibbles.I find Friends a bit of drag without the vocals and Immigrant Song and Celebration Day not that startling different.Nice to have the wheel back but the top join is coming apart and warping(this happened virtually the moment I took off the shrink wrap).I feel the booklets could have been just a little bit better but then I should have splurged for the box sets.Just my two cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I have already written up my very personal reactions to the three sets of remasters released to date, but I have to add this: <sigh> I just listened to Jennings Farm Blues (rough mix) something like a dozen times in a row while I was wrapping up some work I was doing. I just love that burbling sound, like clear water over the pebbles of a sprite's stream.

Anyone who whines about these remaster companion discs should please leave the building so the rest of us can listen in ecstasy and adoration.

I've finally had a chance to really listen to this set alone with a little peace and quiet. (Well, quiet until I cranked up the music at least, ;)) I still haven't played the vinyl nor unwrapped the book from my LZII set. Busy times.

Going back and forth between the hi-res audio tracks and the vinyl edition, I can't quite decide which version I prefer. Regardless of the medium, the remastering sounds amazing. I'd say that the dynamic range and clarity of Since I've Been Loving You blew me away more than anything in the three deluxe boxes so far. As the song veers between purring and roaring, the audio is perfect. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You left me feeling similarly awed but SIBLY is even better. Of course, the rest of the album sounds incredible as well but I felt that this track was simply the best that I've ever heard Led Zeppelin sound. I've never really considered LZIII to be my favourite Zeppelin album but I might be rethinking my position after listening to it in this rejuvenated presentation. Such a stellar collection of songs that showed so many sides of the band. The bonus song that caught me the most off guard had to be Jennings Farm Blues. It took me a few bars to realize that I was hearing an electrified version of Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. So cool.

I can't wait to hear what Jimmy has accomplished with Levee, Stairway, No Quarter, In The Light, Kashmir......all epic songs that deserve this attention to sonic detail.

The acoustic tracks are IMO a revelation..sounds like Jimmy's in your living room. It astonishes me as to why a lot of folks dont like the remasters. The only remaster that was bad was the mothership set. But even that sounds great in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

A laywoman’s review of Led Zeppelin III- Companion Disc- Deluxe Edition- June 3, 2014.

Jennings Farm Blues- Rough Mix of All Guitar Overdubs That Day.

I’ve Got Some Good News! Jennings Farm Blues is an instrumental delight, and a dynamic guitar outtake. This track gyrates and surges, the guitar cords and percussion weave together a rhythm that grabs and sways. There is something about this one, have I heard it before? Page’s guitar is, as expected, inventive, exuberant and rambunctious. His sound undulates and tickles you; ultimately culminating in a satisfying and gentle release. His talent sparkles in an expressive, repetitive yet varied melody that is both playful and arousing.

Each band member’s gift was and is extraordinary. The value and joy within their incredibly remarkable and explosive repertoire is something I hold dear. Led Zeppelin’s music transports me to a safe place, a place where I need no invitation and follow no rules…a soundtrack that can take me anywhere within myself that I want to be. The music Led Zeppelin created, and played has and will remain as magical and stimulating for me, as it was the first moment I heard it on that rainy autumn evening. In my opinion, there has not been a band able to replicate the dynamism Led Zeppelin has, nor will there ever be.

Looking forward to the second round of companion discs, I am certain we will be in for some very pleasant surprises. Thanks for providing an organized place to share, it is much appreciated.

Peace to you all from my wonderful and colorful world in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Amy-Louise

• 3 months later...

Cinnawarrior I was totally blown away by the companion version of SIBLY, as well as GP... Well the whole companion disk to III. I didn't buy the dbl version of II and from the sound of it I'm not missing much. The companions for IV and HotH I think are more in line with what I'm hearing about II but I was so impressed with the packaging of the dbl vinyl of 3 and the triple vinyl of 1 that I decided the small increase in price was worth it just for the packaging. Bot IV and HotH are very cool packages...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

The remasters sound great, got an up-to-date redo for fitting with today's technology. Personally, I like the warmer sound of Early & Latter Days and Mothership. They intentionally made the new remasters colder and frostier sounding is what I'm thinking. The negative coloring of the artwork seems like a reflection of that. Either way, the older masters are available if I want an original, so I can't complain.