REMASTERED LED ZEPPELIN II: Post Your Reactions/Reviews Here

Strider

Ever have a bottle of wine (or a good vape) that just Blew You Away??? And even though you're not wanton to profanity - the only appropriate response was "This tastes too fu@#ing good!!" Yeah... it's like that!

30 years to-the-date since I had my first turntable and my first listen of Led Zeppein II - getting bitten by the Vinyl Renaissance Bug in time for the Deluxe Remasters - perfection. Doesn't get any better than this...

post-25792-0-64838200-1402036146_thumb.g

Nice review and agree with you a lot on this. The whole album itself does sound much more clearer. Always felt the mix on this even with the remasters during the early 90's was a bit muddy. You should invest in some great headphones and dump the iPod ones. Just got some Audio Techica phones and they are great. The over the ear type. Forget the ear buds etc. The old style traditional full size ones can't be beat, even if bulky. Who needs compact ones, when you're talking about supreme sound and clarity!

Cheers! I had been thinking that (about the headphones) and wondering which thread I should go in to ask people which are best. I saw an interview recently in which Jimmy seemed to imply it's Beats - thoughts, anyone else? As a kid I used to sit on the floor listening to my parents' old vinyl on their 70's record player with huge headphones and although it was a long time ago I've always remembered the bigger, warmer sound. Probably better for your ears too.

A little off topic, but I would love to know what headphones are suggested too! Just bought a new turntable, speakers, etc. just for the remasters, and would love some guidance about headphones! :)

over ear and a flat EQ, basically monitoring cans work best when reviewing such remasterpieces

Thanks so much :)

What do u think of something like Audio Technica ATH-45? I'd be willing to spend more, if they would be better..........

Ok, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.......

Tha Brown Bomber...my first Zep album in 1974. So this was decidedly a priority as as super deluxe buy

Love the box and most of all the improvement in the sound department. Gone is the 'under a blanket' mix of tracks like Moby Dick, Bring it on Home or The Lemon Song. Superb! The book is great, but the companion disc is a bit of a disapointment.

Am I alone m feels the alternate WLL is positively lame ? La La is not a revelation either. (Did anybody notice some similarities between this and their one off live rendition of 'killing' floor' from the second Fillmore show april 27, 1969?)

Well I will stop quibling now. The fact I listened to the complete album three times since yesterday evening (including the 3 tracks I skipped during the last 4 decades : Thank You, Livin Lovin and Moby Dick) says it all.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

It

I haven't seen anything mentioned yet about the labels on the new LZ11 vinyl-has anyone noticed that the original ''Livin lovin wreck'' misprint has been reintroduced (not on cd though) someone has a sense of humour :sarcastic_hand:

Tha Brown Bomber...my first Zep album in 1974. So this was decidedly a priority as as super deluxe buy

Love the box and most of all the improvement in the sound department. Gone is the 'under a blanket' mix of tracks like Moby Dick, Bring it on Home or The Lemon Song. Superb! The book is great, but the companion disc is a bit of a disapointment.

Am I alone m feels the alternate WLL is positively lame ? La La is not a revelation either. (Did anybody notice some similarities between this and their one off live rendition of 'killing' floor' from the second Fillmore show april 27, 1969?)

Well I will stop quibling now. The fact I listened to the complete album three times since yesterday evening (including the 3 tracks I skipped during the last 4 decades : Thank You, Livin Lovin and Moby Dick) says it all.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

It

I mentioned this in the La La thread several days ago.

Technically LZII doesn't need a 'companion disc' in the CD format - everything would have fitted onto a single disc (42 minutes + 33 minutes = a mere 75 minutes). But I guess that would kind of ruin the concept!

I think you're right about that.

My name is Keith. I have a record store and we sell extremely high end audio equipment including the laser turntable. The speakers I am using are the Tidal T1 Sunray with the Woofer Towers which sell for over $200,000. I use to use the PMC BB5's speakers like they have at Abbey Road but we dont sell them anymore. I personally own the 45 rpm classic records box set. We had an account before they went out of business. I only had time today to listen to Zep II and compared it to the 45 rpm lp's. In the past I have compared it to every thing else and the 45rpm box set blew everything else away..... till now. I would say that Page's remaster is superior to the classic records at least for Zep II because the tape Page must of used was as close to whatever you call a master and definitely closer than what was sent to Classic records. Because of that you can hear everything with superior clarity . The 45 rpm set had a slight haze to it at least on my turntable a VPI HRX with Dynavector cartridge. On the remaster,the Bass is much more deep, the vocals are more clear and the guitar is ferocious! No question Page did the remastering as that guitar sizzles out of my speakers. I swear sometimes Jimmy is playing the guitar for me in the room! For a moment forget about listening to it as a whole just listen to the room it was recorded in , listen to the ambience listen to the echo of the room and the cymbals. Listen to what surrounds the voice. Listen to the nuances. The only thing that could be better than these remasters would be to listen to the tape Jimmy used to remaster them. I collect master tapes and have many and even this beats some of the 15 ips safety master copies I have of Zep.No question the 96k download is the way to go if you have the right set up, next the record is best, than the CD again it depends on what your system is. If your system is not expensive then CD is fine If you have a system like mine which is hundreds of thousands of dollars than 96 k is best(and I hate digital) but it proves best in most cases these days unless they remaster a record using original analog tape and it is the master or real close to it. I must say Bravo Jimmy! Bravo for an excellent job. You have brought tears of joy to my life so I can relive childhood memories of playing records on my shit turntable . Keep the masters coming, give us more stuff from the vault and more live shows even if you are not happy with the performances. We love them all! Thankyou so much for everything.

ICBW but at first I was kinda happy about hearing the whole lotta love track, I thought it was different from the album but after a few listens I started to feel that its really just half of the actual song with out the rest and not really a different rough mix but just half the mix. You can hear the elements that are in the final track. :tears:

Bought the 2 CD pack. Always loved the live feel of this album & didn't think it could get any better but it is. The remastering has somehow brought it even closer to the feeling of standing in amongst them while they play - spinechilling, in the best way.

The companion disc has been absorbing - makes you listen in a whole new way. Was looking forward to WLL from the teaser & couldn't wait to play it in the car - my favourite place to hear LZ. It's awesome - Robert's voice is so pure & plaintive. And I'm getting his ad lib bits stuck in my head. They keep replaying in my mind at work at the oddest times. I find myself with a silly grin, mouthing the words - others looking at me curiously.

Also loving the backing tracks sans Robert - so good (& so much easier) to hear each of these amazing musicians playing in their own right.

And then there's La La. Never thought I'd use the word 'cheerful' to describe any LZ music but that's the word that came to mind for the first few bars. Then, enter Jimmy, and I feel back on more familiar ground. And then he's off, changing it up, drawing you in with the flow of it. So good to hear something 'new' - thrilling to not know what's coming next. Great fun all round and, just as Jimmy described - 'a portal'- insight into how they created their masterpieces. Worth every cent & more.

Will get each of the albums one at a time, to draw out the luxury of it. And from what I've read there's much to look forward to on I & III as well.

My name is Keith. I have a record store and we sell extremely high end audio equipment including the laser turntable. The speakers I am using are the Tidal T1 Sunray with the Woofer Towers which sell for over $200,000. I use to use the PMC BB5's speakers like they have at Abbey Road but we dont sell them anymore. I personally own the 45 rpm classic records box set. We had an account before they went out of business. I only had time today to listen to Zep II and compared it to the 45 rpm lp's. In the past I have compared it to every thing else and the 45rpm box set blew everything else away..... till now. I would say that Page's remaster is superior to the classic records at least for Zep II because the tape Page must of used was as close to whatever you call a master and definitely closer than what was sent to Classic records. Because of that you can hear everything with superior clarity . The 45 rpm set had a slight haze to it at least on my turntable a VPI HRX with Dynavector cartridge. On the remaster,the Bass is much more deep, the vocals are more clear and the guitar is ferocious! No question Page did the remastering as that guitar sizzles out of my speakers. I swear sometimes Jimmy is playing the guitar for me in the room! For a moment forget about listening to it as a whole just listen to the room it was recorded in , listen to the ambience listen to the echo of the room and the cymbals. Listen to what surrounds the voice. Listen to the nuances. The only thing that could be better than these remasters would be to listen to the tape Jimmy used to remaster them. I collect master tapes and have many and even this beats some of the 15 ips safety master copies I have of Zep.No question the 96k download is the way to go if you have the right set up, next the record is best, than the CD again it depends on what your system is. If your system is not expensive then CD is fine If you have a system like mine which is hundreds of thousands of dollars than 96 k is best(and I hate digital) but it proves best in most cases these days unless they remaster a record using original analog tape and it is the master or real close to it. I must say Bravo Jimmy! Bravo for an excellent job. You have brought tears of joy to my life so I can relive childhood memories of playing records on my shit turntable . Keep the masters coming, give us more stuff from the vault and more live shows even if you are not happy with the performances. We love them all! Thankyou so much for everything.

Wow, what a set up!

Did you notice the slight break-up of the cymbals on Heartbreaker, (is that phasing or just compression?) I'm comparing back to to a Presswell RL in Ex condition. Some others have commented on the way the overloaded levels of bass have been represented, (esp. in the bit after the freak-out on WLL, bits of Heartbreaker, TLS & Moby Dick) as sounding less cohesive, like there is more saturation or perhaps the new found clarity has revealed what was there all along?

I'm not satisfied with LZ II Deluxe Vinyl.

The vinyl with album is deformed and phonograph pickup is moving up and down in waves during playing. So I returned the package to the seller and he immediately gave me a new. The new vinyl is deformed too, a bit less than previous, but is.

I cannot hear any sound distortions, but I'm afraid that after playing the vinyl several times will damage itself or phono's needle.

Any ideas?

I'm not satisfied with LZ II Deluxe Vinyl.

The vinyl with album is deformed and phonograph pickup is moving up and down in waves during playing. So I returned the package to the seller and he immediately gave me a new. The new vinyl is deformed too, a bit less than previous, but is.

I cannot hear any sound distortions, but I'm afraid that after playing the vinyl several times will damage itself or phono's needle.

Any ideas?

That sucks and sorry to hear that this is the problem with both of your copies. Not sure if you return it once again that you'll get a better copy?

This is why I got into cd's ,even tho purist's and the band itself think vinyl is a better fit for Zep...I got so many defectives back in the 80's plus did not have a stereo- had to use parents'...Sorry to hear about this I do remember going through 2 or 3 of some records back in the day to get a good copy I think people had better luck in 70's because maybe more care was put into production of records..I would not even know what hundreds of thousands of dollars looks like...wow Just curious is that standard for what people have on here for systems It may be why I hear little difference between remasters and 90's cd's...I am just a car/computer listening person but may finally get ipod as I am told cd players will no longer be standard in cars in a couple years...

Today is July 1st...which means I can finally crack open my Led Zeppelin II and give it a listen. :yay:

Same menu as when you listened to Zep I? Hope you enjoy! I think August will be an even better month for you! ;):)

Today is July 1st...which means I can finally crack open my Led Zeppelin II and give it a listen. :yay:

Congrats Strider! :thumbsup:

I am pretty late to the party, since I received my copies of the deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin I and II only yesterday and I still have to wait till the 4th of July for Led Zeppelin III to arrive :wacko:. But on a happier note, I have been inspired by you my friend, to follow a listening plan. That means, the 4th of July will be the day that I officially open up my Deluxe CD copy of Led Zeppelin I and give it a listen, all through July! Led Zeppelin II and III will be opened during the months of August and Zeptember! ;)

Yes, I know that I'm off-topic, but I couldn't help but reply to Strider's post! Sorry :blush:

Congrats Strider! :thumbsup:

I am pretty late to the party, since I received my copies of the deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin I and II only yesterday and I still have to wait till the 4th of July for Led Zeppelin III to arrive :wacko:. But on a happier note, I have been inspired by you my friend, to follow a listening plan. That means, the 4th of July will be the day that I officially open up my Deluxe CD copy of Led Zeppelin I and give it a listen, all through July! Led Zeppelin II and III will be opened during the months of August and Zeptember! ;)

Yes, I know that I'm off-topic, but I couldn't help but reply to Strider's post! Sorry :blush:

Enjoy Kiwi! I know I am. Happy to hear that they didn't forget you halfway around the world and finally delivered your Zeppelin!

Archived