Do Stones's fans hate Zeppelin?

On 6/3/2014 at 3:39 PM, caesar's_chariot said:

Are you suggesting Zeppelin fans have the same level of hatred for the Stones? If so, I certainly haven't seen it. Seems pretty one sided to me.

Again, I'd like to know why.

k

On 6/4/2014 at 8:45 PM, Pagefan55 said:

Me, too.

All the Stones fans I've known, dating back to high school, have respected Zeppelin and appreciated their music. I've also observed that many Stones fans are highly knowledgable about music in general. Several of their fans have told me that they view Zep and it's fanbase as being members of a "huge cult," albeit a benign one. It should be mentioned that serious Stones fans are keenly aware that Zep decisively surpassed "the world's greatest rock n roll band" during the 1970's, both in terms of album sales and concert attendances, and this has undoubtedly caused a tremendous amount of long-lingering resentment and jealously among some fans.

I've only known a handful of Who fans, and some of them despised Zeppelin.

Zeppelin played more shows then the Stones in the 70s but were not a bigger draw. Thats just Zeppelin myth makers at work.

On 10/21/2015 at 10:27 AM, Nutrocker said:

Exactly. Hey, Keith's always been an outspoken son of a bitch, but when it comes to music he does know his shit. I watched that Netflix documentary of his that just came out and to give him his due despite all the drugs and the bump on the noggin and just Keef's fucking age (he looks like the Cryptkeeper's dad with a dash of Grim Reaper thrown in fer chrissakes :lol: ) the guy's stuck to his electic /rock/r and b/reggae/country roots and, like anything else, never apologized for it. As his new record shows. Doesn't have a thing to do with Zeppelin, though, Keith. And it's not like he can really bash Zeppelin with a straight face anyway- Keith and Page have known one another since the sixties, and they're friends at least to the point of Jimmy playing on Dirty Work. Page also apparently sat in for a session after Mick Taylor quit the Stones, but Ronnie Wood was really the chosen one from the get go there. The New Barbarians (Keith and Woody's side project) also played at Knebworth in '79 (the second show I think). So any bad mouthing Keith might be doing now is just him jabbering out of his arse at 71. Pay him no mind, folks...

Personally, I've always liked the Stones and Zeppelin about equally- they're my two favourite bands, always were and always will be. Their music speaks to me in different ways, that's all, and I just sort of take it for granted at this point. Mainly it's down to the guitar playing for me- I like Jimmy Page's "guitar army" approach and The Stones' "ancient art of weaving" two guitar players. Some days Presence is my favourite album, other days it's Exile On Main Street

Why is it so hard for people to just ack that Richards doesn't like Led Zeppelins's music? Why do people always make up reasons for Keith's quotes. He never like Zeppelin and he started saying he didn't like them as early as 1969. This is one thing that is annoying about Zeppelin fans. When someone says they don't, like Zeppelin you constantly see Zep fans trying to claim that they don't really mean it.  Usually the reason given is jealousy. In reality it was Zep who was jealous of the Stones, we all know what happened when they both toured in 1972. Lets see Richards has 4 times the money and fame as anyone in Zeppelin, and has a much bigger place in rock history then Zep. Why would he be jealous. Plus he has always said great things about the Beatles who are the only band Richards might have any reason to be jealous of.

17 hours ago, stanlove said:

Why is it so hard for people to just ack that Richards doesn't like Led Zeppelins's music? Why do people always make up reasons for Keith's quotes. He never like Zeppelin and he started saying he didn't like them as early as 1969. This is one thing that is annoying about Zeppelin fans. When someone says they don't, like Zeppelin you constantly see Zep fans trying to claim that they don't really mean it.  Usually the reason given is jealousy. In reality it was Zep who was jealous of the Stones, we all know what happened when they both toured in 1972. Lets see Richards has 4 times the money and fame as anyone in Zeppelin, and has a much bigger place in rock history then Zep. Why would he be jealous. Plus he has always said great things about the Beatles who are the only band Richards might have any reason to be jealous of.

Hey stanny, why don't you take yer Zeppelin bashing act back to Steve Hoffman's forum where it belongs...

Anyone that truley loves Classic Rock, luvs both groups music:) They are each genuine rock stars. The Doors are the other rock group we loved in our time:) ALL 3, were superstars and still are, in our hearts. Their music got me thru some very tough yrs. of my life:):):)

On 3/15/2016 at 1:07 PM, SandyKJ said:

Anyone that truley loves Classic Rock, luvs both groups music:) They are each genuine rock stars. The Doors are the other rock group we loved in our time:) ALL 3, were superstars and still are, in our hearts. Their music got me thru some very tough yrs. of my life:):):)

I love Zeppelin AND the Stones, but I've always fucking hated The Doors :lol: 

15 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I love Zeppelin AND the Stones, but I've always fucking hated The Doors :lol: 

blasphemy! :lol: I have read that jim morrison wasn't to big a fan of led zeppelin and vice versa. I believe I saw on here that jim morrison jumped on stage multiple times during an early zeppelin show and said things like "my kind of rock and roll is dead" or something to that extent. in the early days jim morrison was very talented Imo (even if he was a pawn placed by the u.s. military :ph34r::P) but later on he tried really hard to be esoteric and some of his work really made me roll my eyes.

The Stones, Doors, and Zep are so dissimilar in their musical aims and modus operandi. Morrison was clearly trying

to (live particularly) smash thru all conventional boundaries and rules of society  Much, not all Stones music had very

heavy doses of early rock and R&B, although they could be more commercial  than Zep or the Doors. Zep in my opinion

wanted to create a transcendental experience live as well as the Doors, but thru the actual music, not Morrison's

semi--performance art raging against all creation. Nothing wrong with not liking any of the three, but these bands

are like three different planets, few contact points between the three.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:24 AM, stanlove said:

The reason he has 4 times the money is because the Stones have been in existence for 53 years to Zeppelin's 12. PP and J walked away from a cash cow (touring) where the Stones have been doing the Stadium circuit for decades and more power to him.  So that point is pointless.  

Richards recently took a giant dump all over Sgt Pepper too, so that is also incorrect. 

• 2 weeks later...
On March 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM, the chase said:

The reason he has 4 times the money is because the Stones have been in existence for 53 years to Zeppelin's 12. PP and J walked away from a cash cow (touring) where the Stones have been doing the Stadium circuit for decades and more power to him.  So that point is pointless.  

Richards recently took a giant dump all over Sgt Pepper too, so that is also incorrect. 

On March 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM, the chase said:

It does matter why richards has 4 times the money.  The fact is that he does have 4 times the money. As do for St Pepper, Richards didnt like the album but has always said he liked the Beatles overall. He also said that he considered the Stones album from The same year crap also. 

On 4/5/2016 at 1:26 AM, stanlove said:

It does matter why richards has 4 times the money.  The fact is that he does have 4 times the money. As do for St Pepper, Richards didnt like the album but has always said he liked the Beatles overall. He also said that he considered the Stones album from The same year crap also. 

What a pointless argument..Led Zeppelin stopped touring in 1980. Tickets were 7 dollars each.. The Stones have had 35+ years of touring stadiums where ticket prices are now anywhere from 75 to hundreds of dollars each. Of course he has more money.. If Zeppelin reunited for one stadium tour in these past years, you know as well as I do they would pull in hundreds of millions.. 

Your other point is valid. Richards has probably said more negative things about his creative partner, MJ as he has about anybody including The Beatles Zeppelin Elton John.. Etc.. 

9 hours ago, reswati said:

robertplant.jpg

Plant in New Musical Express: 
“We only played with the Doors once in Seattle and it seemed like he was screwed up. He was giving the impression he was into really deep things like Skip Spence of Moby Grape. You get into a trip of your own that you don’t really realize what’s going on in the outside world. Morrison went on stage and said ‘Fuck you all’ which didn’t do anything except make a few girls scream. Then he hung on the side of the stage and nearly toppled into the audience and did all those things that I suppose were originally sexual things but as he got fatter and dirtier and more screwed up they became more bizarre. So it was really sickening to watch. My wife and I were there watching and we couldn’t believe it." 

"...Morrison started saying all those strange things which nobody could get into. There were one or two people there crying ‘You’re God, you’re king’ and I was thinking why?” 

Page also in New Musical Express: 
"I was surprised after hearing a lot of advance publicity in England about how sexy Jim M. was. How virile and whatever. I was surprised to see how static he was live on stage.” 

“Being dressed in black leather can only go so far but standing there like my father would on stage doesn’t really come across for me. As far as I could see the Morrison thing is just an embarrassment towards the audience. He would actually insult them and swear at them and his sexual thing is more an introvert thing, it isn’t so extroverted as Robert’s.”

that shirt is from the morrison hotel art gallery (I believe the one where cbgb's used to be) not a doors shirt.  also, I cant say for sure because I wasn't there but it is reported that at one of led zeppelins early shows jim morrison jumped on stage a few times and grabbed the mic taunting them and saying things like "my kind of rock and roll is dead". or something to that effect. im too lazy to look it up.

8 hours ago, sk8rat said:

that shirt is from the morrison hotel art gallery (I believe the one where cbgb's used to be) not a doors shirt.  also, I cant say for sure because I wasn't there but it is reported that at one of led zeppelins early shows jim morrison jumped on stage a few times and grabbed the mic taunting them and saying things like "my kind of rock and roll is dead". or something to that effect. im too lazy to look it up.

I know the quotes you cited, but they were quite old (After seeing the Doors perform on the Seattle Pop Festival).........I guess by now they changed their mind.

“You can get into a trip of your own that you don’t really realize what’s going on in the outside world,” Plant later told Melody Maker. “He hung on the side of the stage and nearly toppled into the audience and did all those things that I suppose were originally sexual things, but as he got fatter and dirtier and more screwed up, they became more bizarre. So it was really sickening to watch. My wife and I were there watching and we couldn’t believe it.
I respected the Doors’ albums. What Morrison was doing on record was good. The track ‘Cancel My Subscription’ was great. He was just miles above anyone’s head.”

(Robert Plant about Jim Morrison)

Yes indeed, Robert was a big fan of both the Doors & Morrison in regard to the music, he was simply turned off when he saw them live as a result of Morrison becoming a parody of himself. In effect, Robert felt sorry for Morrison that such incredible and visionary talent could go to waste.

Archived